Tassels: A Dying Trend?

i love the tassles too but lately have been finding them annoying, especially when they split which they seem to eventually...i'm hesitant to cut them because i'm afraid my bags will look fake (where i live they are everwhere). i have taken them off certain styles (e.g. my shopper tote, which seems to work well especially since that's my travel bag). and i hate to use the extras, i keep wanting to save them (for what i don't really know)!

the tassels were actually longer than now on the original first bal from years ago. i remember sales people telling me i coulc cut them if i didnt like them. i lovvvvvvvvvvved them and still do. tassels forever.

dont worry too much about tassles fraying. i use all my bal bags all the time and the tassles age with bags nicely. p.s. i have never used the replacement tassles. i used to ask for them in bal paris and the replacements were worse than the ones on my bags! i think they gave you left over leather scraps. this is before the days of mirrors and extra tassles included with bags.

Funny that this topic came up...today I was walking with my B-bag on the crook of my arm and the mirror tassel got hooked on some guy's bicycle and jerked me backwards! I almost fell right on my behind!! :biggrin:

That said...I still love the tassels.

^^ YIKES!

The tassels don't bother me...in fact, I like to play with them, they are so soft! But I could see cutting the tassels shorter sometime down the road if necessary. I think the bag stands on its own, tassels or no tassels.

fayden said:
i don't mind the tassles when they are just 2 of them hanging, but when the 2 splits and becomes 4, that's when it starts getting tangled with everything. but i can't bring myself to cut them...

I so agree with you, fayden. My tassles have started splitting and i'm in a daze as to what to do with it. they haven't really split all the way down but it does annoy me endlessly. As with fayden, i can't bring myself to cut them. I can't even use apple conditioner with them for fear that something would happen to it. :shame:

personally, i love the tassels but found that three of them hanging off my city at one time were just too cumbersome. if my bag wasn't particularly full, i found it difficult to unzip the main compartment with a full length tassel. since i never use the mirror (it just sits in the dustbag), i cut a small section off that tassel and made a pull tab about the same length of the one on the inner pocket. the zipper with the longer tassel remains stationery and i use the shorter one to open and close the bag. i find this works much better as there is less strain on the tassel itself and the zipper glides much more easily. although i have altered the designer's "vision" of the bag, i have made it much more functional and user friendly for myself as well as having an extra full length tassel for future use.

I've been playing around with the look I want for my new City and to me a number of long tassels give the bag a bit of a boho chic look. A more "mature" woman runs the risk of looking like an ageing hippy (not a look I want). So I am planning on going with the minimalist tassel look. The young'uns look great with the long tassels.