Taller people are smarter

1. Ran across this article on MSN.....

--------------------------------------------------

Taller people are smarter, too, study says
    Princeton economists say findings justify better pay for more height
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Updated: 3:40 p.m. PT Aug 25, 2006

function UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) { var n = document.getElementById("udtD"); if(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) { var dt = new DateTime(); pdt = dt.T2D(pdt); if(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));} } } UpdateTimeStamp('632921424199630000'); [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NEW YORK - While researchers have long shown that tall people earn more than their shorter counterparts, it’s not only social discrimination that accounts for this inequality — tall people are just smarter than their height-challenged peers, a new study finds.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“As early as age 3 — before schooling has had a chance to play a role —and throughout childhood, taller children perform significantly better on cognitive tests,” wrote Anne Case and Christina Paxson of Princeton University in a paper published by the National Bureau of Economic Research.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The findings were based primarily on two British studies that followed children born in 1958 and 1970, respectively, through adulthood and a U.S. study on height and occupational choice.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Other studies have pointed to low self-esteem, better health that accompanies greater height, and social discrimination as culprits for lower pay for shorter people.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But researchers Case and Paxson believe the height advantage in the job world is more than just a question of image.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“As adults, taller individuals are more likely to select into higher paying occupations that require more advanced verbal and numerical skills and greater intelligence, for which they earn handsome returns,” they wrote.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For both men and women in the United States and the United Kingdom, a height advantage of four inches equated with a 10 percent increase in wages on average.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But the researchers said the differences in performance crop up long before the tall people enter the job force. Prenatal care and the time between birth and age 3 are critical periods for determining future cognitive ability and height.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“The speed of growth is more rapid during this period than at any other during the life course, and nutritional needs are greatest at this point,” the researchers wrote.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The research confirms previous studies that show that early nutrition is an important predictor of intelligence and height.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“Prenatal care and prenatal nutrition are just incredibly important, even more so than we already knew,” Case said in an interview.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Since the study’s data only included populations in the United [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kingdom and the United States, the findings could not be applied to other regions, Case said.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]And how tall are the researchers?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They are both about 5 feet 8 inches tall, well above the average height of 5 feet 4 inches for American women.[/FONT]

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14517687/

------------------------------------------------

So what does everyone think?

2. alright! I'm 5'8"....I must be smart.

3. thats funny, I dont believe that for a moment.
    Define tall, my ex is 6"1 and as dumb as stump. Has no thought process beyond what is going on at the moment. Doesnt matter what the topic.

Edited to this isnt my thought because we are ex's. i've thought this for some time before he became my ex. Maybe that is why we are ex's now :shrugs:

4. Well its based on averages so who knows - and like the article said some of the height could be based on poor pre-natal care - so of course that would affect things. But does this mean I should always be wearing high heels? LOL I'm 5'6'' + some.

5. I'm 5'11 and I concur ! LOL .

6. i heard about something similar to this, only it says that taller people tend to make more money......

7. I would bet taller MEN make more money! I think tall men are seen as more ambitious, athletic, etc... I know I worked in an office of very tall men and they seemed very imposing and intimidating, which probably helps in the business world. Not sure how it would help women, though, except being able to look the tall men in the eye. ;)

8. What a crock of :censor:! Almost every person I've known who is extremely tall is also extremely dumb.

9. I've met many "short" people throughout my entire life (whether it was in school, university, the workplace, etc...) who were smarter than "tall" people. A person's height has no relation to intelligence level at all.

There are smart short people. There are smart tall people.

I wouldn't take this article seriously at all - it's a load of bulls**t.

10. Absolutely ridiculous.

11. I assume all of the disagreements are coming from short people :upsidedown:

j/k guys :heart:

12. They're basing it on prenatal care and nutrition. They shouldn't make such a general statement when there are so many who's height is based on nationality. They should compare those who were malnourished as a child vs. those that weren't. My dad is a shorter greek and my mom's japanese, so according to this article, I'm lucky I made it through college (although I'm 5'6" which leaves me in that gray area of smarter or less than) LOL.

13. One NY radio station talked about this about a month ago. I don't know if it's necessarily true.

14. I don't buy it. I know too many smart short people and dumb tall people. I don't believe there is any correlation between height and intelligence.

15. this is just funny and a good read but i don't buy it at all.