Talking Yourself Out Of Buying A Bag

I have definitely been obsessive over bags, but have been completely unsuccessful in talking myself out of anything. What I don't like is when I get the bag and then I feel all deflated and blue. It's definitely the thrill of the chase with handbags for me!!! Right now I am pretty happy with what I have, but definitely enjoy browsing around to see what my next conquest might be.

Mombug, I do the same thing! Was in the Ferragamo store Sunday and bought a gorgeous new tote in black crinkled patent leather that is new for fall and just had to have it and got home and felt blue and guilty for buying it. I have some beautiful bags, but seem to always be looking for the next one.......

I'm sure I'm not the only one. When I get a bag in mind that I want ... I OBSESS until I get it. And it's not like I NEED it ... but I know I really, really WANT it.

Do you ever try to talk yourself out of buying a bag that you have been obsessing about? The thing is ... I TELL myself that once I get this bag, that I won't want another one for a while, but it NEVER happens that way! I just got a gorgeous Steel Balenciaga just over a week ago and thought it would keep me happy for a while, but these past few days I have been OBSESSING about the LV Mono Lockit. It's all I can think about. I was determined to go to Holts today and see if they have one. In my mind I'm thinking that if I let myself get this one, then I'll be happy and content and not need to get another bag for a while. But I've said that plenty of times in the past and after a few days, I'm on to wanting my next one!

And it's not like the money shouldn't be put towards paying off the ones I just bought ... I just can't help WANTING it so bad! My mind is torn between doing the right thing (holding off and getting it later) or just going for it and making myself happy.

So ... has anyone ever been able to talk themselves out of a bag that you really, really wanted?

Who knows ... by the time I get back to this thread, I may have sucumbed to my desire and have it or maybe reason will have overruled. :oh:

Oh my god, I am the same way...I am wanting this Gucci bag so much right now, but purchased way too much over the past month (2 chanels, 2 LV's)...it's out of hand!;)

As hard as it is, turn around, walk away and try not to think about that bag for as long as possible. Out of sight, out of mind.

Keep reading these responses, hopefully some will inspire/encourage you!

audball67, you said:

5. Honestly, I get off the computer and Get Out of the House! Go to the park, go for a bike ride, work out, take the kids to the Farmer's Market. Thinking about the rest of the world outside the bag-world puts things in perspective for me.

Do you mean the Farmer's Market on Fairfax in L.A.?

Just wondering.......LOVE that place.

No, I live up here in Oregon - though I have read about the Fairfax market (I have friends that live in the area) and it's supposed to be very cool :yes:!

No, I live up here in Oregon - though I have read about the Fairfax market (I have friends that live in the area) and it's supposed to be very cool :yes:!

:okay: Yes, it is a very cool place! I live in the Atlanta, GA area but will be going out to L.A. in September and will hang out in that Farmer's Market quite a bit. There are some great stores there now...it is called The Grove.....and a wonderful Nordstrom is there too. Check it out if you ever get down there. :yahoo:

its the thrill of the hunt. We set our sights on it, and we cant stop thinking about it. We obsess and obsess until its in our hands.

Then, we get tired of it within a week and off to ebay it goes.

onto the next bag!

its a never ending cycle.

I'm an obsessive impulse buyer..so now instead of just frantically searching out the best deal on a bag and ordering it ASAP, I make myself sleep on it. Usually this helps because by the next day, my obsession has already focused on a new bag. LOL However, this does NOT work during NM's close outs! :P

I'm an obsessive impulse buyer..so now instead of just frantically searching out the best deal on a bag and ordering it ASAP, I make myself sleep on it. Usually this helps because by the next day, my obsession has already focused on a new bag. LOL However, this does NOT work during NM's close outs! :P
Oh yeah...I can relate. This somewhat like my 24-hour sleep on it rule.

Do you ever try to talk yourself out of buying a bag that you have been obsessing about? The thing is ... I TELL myself that once I get this bag, that I won't want another one for a while, but it NEVER happens that way! I just got a gorgeous Steel Balenciaga just over a week ago and thought it would keep me happy for a while, but these past few days I have been OBSESSING about the LV Mono Lockit. It's all I can think about. I was determined to go to Holts today and see if they have one. In my mind I'm thinking that if I let myself get this one, then I'll be happy and content and not need to get another bag for a while. But I've said that plenty of times in the past and after a few days, I'm on to wanting my next one!

And it's not like the money shouldn't be put towards paying off the ones I just bought ... I just can't help WANTING it so bad! My mind is torn between doing the right thing (holding off and getting it later) or just going for it and making myself happy.

While I do understand obsessing over a bag you really really want (I have done this myself!), I think you need to be careful if you're onto the next bag before the new one has even settled into your life, especially if you're getting into debt buying them. You talk about getting the bag 'making you happy', but if that only lasts a few days maybe you need to look at why you need such frequent instant gratification boosts? Especially when they're costing you so much.

I hope this doesn't sound judgemental, that isn't my intention...I do know how loving a bag can take over your life, but I think it's a dangerous sign if you can't enjoy what you have for some of the time too. And debt is much easier to get into than out of...

Once I ordered a bag I was obsessing about (not near any stores, so had to order it) and when it arrived, I realized...so what? And returned it. It was like, I lived the whole scenario of obsessing for it, buying it -- and once I had it, I realized it didn't work for me. So, you could "try" buying it and returning it... Basically, going into debt is a bad thing... So: start a piggy bank, or a money envelope, and tell yourself that yes, you can have this bag, you just can't have this bag now. But you CAN have it. Save up the $$ and then go for it. Guess what... you'll wonder what the obsession was all about! That's human nature for ya!

If you wait it out long enough, you probably won't even want the bag anymore.

I'm an impulsive buyer and i'm FORCING myself to not buy any bags for the rest of the year (I was allowed a new Coach bag, keychain, and mini skinny, and now i'm banned!). For me, I kind of shop through other people. I look at what other people buy (mostly stuff that's too expensive for me!) and enjoy the pretty bags...but I know that i'm happy with the one I just got.

It takes a TON of willpower, but it's working so far.