SWLC - inspiration, encouragement, and fitness

1. For all the members of the Summer Weight Loss Club (SWLC!) here's a thread for daily chit chat. ANY helpful tips or encouragement are greatly appreciated. We can also log our daily fitness here too! Any potential problems for the week? Bring them up here and see if others can help you along!

Good luck everyone and stay motivated!!

2. yeah! thank you! i got up at 5:20 and ran for 35 minutes for a total of 2 miles. i also walked afterwards, but i'm not sure the distance- i have to clock it later. love the swlc! it's go time, pfers!!! and, my favorite quote (from the marines) THE ONLY EASY DAY WAS YESTERDAY

3. I can personally attest to the power of positive thinking. Part of the FoodMover program involves reciting motivational affirmations daily. At first, it felt sort of silly to do this, but after a while it was like second nature. I was amazed to find that doing this every day seemed to change my overall attitude and outlook on life. I used to be a pretty pessimistic person, but I can say now that's not the case. The affirmations also helped me through the "mini-plateaus". There were a couple of weeks where there was no change in my weight. Normally, something like this would have caused me to give up, but I stuck it out, keeping the affirmations in mind. Since they have helped me so much, I decided to post them here for everyone else. I recite these every morning to myself:

I will set my daily goals.

I will never doubt my abilities.

I will find something every day to laugh about.

I will say something positive every day about myself.

I will make time for me.

I will be patient with myself and never give up.

I am worth it.

4. I LOVE this post! As a mom I find the hardest one to do is to "make time for me". Although, everything on the list is terrific. I'll start doing this also. Is this from WW? What are your typical "daily goals" fitness or diet related?

5. i was asked if i was pregnant today. i'm not.

6. Don't worry about it - you're on the right track. Just look at your ticker and be proud. You'll get there yet!

7. No, it's from Richard Simmons' FoodMover, which I have been doing since November 2005.

8. I'm finding it so hard to motivate myself to exercise! I've been meaning to bike to class everyday, but everyday I always find a new excuse. How do you guys do it?

9. Hi, just wanted to put in a positive word for myfooddiary.com - I have been using it for the past week and am finding it really easy and informative. I saw a nutritionist last year who stressed the importance of writing down what you eat, but keeping a food diary never really helped me get a handle on what I was really consuming (I could never be bothered to look up all the values :shame: ). This is helping me so much since it's all calculated for you and you can print out reports, etc. along with tracking exercise. Anyway, just thought I would mention it for those who might be looking for a way to track things (it is a subscription but fairly cheap).

10. I found this interesting article from the consumers report posted in fitsugar.com ***I edited it a lil bit since its a long article :smile:
    "
    1Start right

While dieters might prefer to save calories by skipping breakfast, eating a substantial morning meal is recommended by every diet book we analyzed. Seventy-eight percent of the successful losers at the National Weight Control Registry say they eat breakfast, typically some cereal and fruit. The Registry, which enrolls people who can document that they have lost more than 30 pounds and kept it off for at least a year, has more than 5,000 members.

2Choose (and limit) your fats

Many diet experts have backed away from avoiding fats, though this traditional approach is still used by very low-fat plans such as Dean Ornish’s “Eat More, Weigh Less” and the diet endorsed by the Pritikin Longevity Center. Some research shows that a very low-fat diet can slow the progression of heart disease and breast and prostate cancer. But the dropout rate from that type of diet is high.

Scientists now distinguish good fats from bad, based on copious evidence about their effect on blood cholesterol. But good or bad, all fats have big calorie counts. They contain 9 calories per gram, compared with 4 per gram for carbohydrates and protein. The diet menu in “Eat, Drink, and Weigh Less” recommends liberally consuming healthy fats. But when we analyzed the meal plan, it totaled 1,910 calories per day, about 40 percent of them from fat, which would make weight loss unlikely for many people.

3Eat healthfully--but sparingly

Backed by a growing body of research, nutritionists have come to a rough consensus on what a truly healthful diet looks like: Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and some lean meat and fish, healthy fats, and whole grains. And minimize refined grains, potatoes, full-fat dairy products, and added sweeteners--especially in the form of soft drinks. Studies of large populations the world over have shown that this diet reduces the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers.

The bottom line is that no matter how “healthy” your diet is, you still have to restrict quantities to lose weight. “The Best Life Diet,” which got top marks from our reviewers, provides detailed instructions on proper serving sizes for many different types of foods.

4Crank up the activity

To control weight from exercise alone requires a devotion that few nonathletes can summon: 60 to 90 minutes a day of moderate to vigorous exercise. But increasing the time you spend out of your chair--in formal exercise and activities such as housework and yard work--helps you burn at least some calories. And an active lifestyle will help you maintain your weight loss. National Weight Control Registry participants report doing about an hour a day of moderate-intensity exercise, like brisk walking. Of the books we evaluated, “You on a Diet,” “The Best Life Diet,” and “The Abs Diet” got high marks for their clear and detailed sections on exercise.

5Consider cutting carbs

Virtually all diets restrict or eliminate “bad” highly refined carbs such as white bread, cookies, chips, and soft drinks. But a wholesale cutback on grains, fruits, and the sweeter vegetables, such as beets and carrots, was first popularized by the Atkins diet. Recent research has found that for up to a year, some people can indeed safely lose weight on Atkins. In the most recent study, published in the March 7, 2007, Journal of the American Medical Association, 311 overweight women were randomly assigned to one of four diets: Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and a control group on a traditional low-fat menu plus various behavioral strategies. On some measures, Atkins dieters came out ahead. “They had better triglyceride lowering than Zone dieters, better HDL raising than Ornish, and better blood-pressure lowering than all three,” said Christopher Gardner, Ph.D., assistant professor of medicine at Stanford University, director of the study. But while Atkins dieters lost modestly more weight than Zone dieters, at 12 months their weight loss was similar to those on the Ornish or control diet.

6Fill up on low-density foods

One way to spare calories and still eat a satisfying amount of food is to focus your diet on foods that have fewer calories per bite, or low “energy density.”

Starting your meals with a low-calorie soup or salad and eating main dishes that are full of vegetables and fruits are the main tactics of the low-density diet.

Using government food consumption surveys, researcher Barbara Rolls has shown that people who eat a low-energy-density diet consume hundreds fewer calories per day than those with a high-density diet, yet eat a greater amount of food. And in research on volunteers in her Penn State lab, Rolls has found that consuming a low-density diet helps people lose weight and keeps them thinner. “Volumetrics,” based on this research, has now been studied in clinical trials and finished at the top of our diet Ratings.

7Bring back the scale

Many of the books we reviewed discourage the practice of daily, or even weekly, weigh-ins, at least in the initial stages of a weight-loss diet. But 75 percent of National Weight Control Registry members weigh themselves at least weekly. “They remain vigilant about their weight loss,” Wing said. “It seems likely that if they gain a pound or two, they take steps to lose it before it can accumulate.”

8Bore yourself thin

Though many books promise readers they’ll be eating a huge variety of foods, in practice they limit variety of high-calorie foods. “The South Beach Diet,” “The Sonoma Diet,” and “UltraMetabolism” were especially restrictive in their severe initial phases.

Since variety stimulates the appetite, the more monotonous your diet, the less you’ll eat. So steer clear of buffet tables, which can be the dieter’s worst enemy."

11. ^The bore yourself thin part is really interesting! I really do have an easier time when I get into a routine with my food. I crave sweets and fatty foods a lot less.

Tonight I had turkey meatloaf for dinner. I am just about to go out for a walk. It is a nice evening, and the path is by a river. It is somewhat hilly, so it is a good workout. I hope everyone is doing well today!

12. I just wanted to post my little "victory" from last night.

My sister (whose name in our house in Auntie Candy because she thinks Tootsie Rolls are a food group!) always brings back little goodies from her vacations. Anyways, this time she brought back a macadamia nut turtle! I cut off one tiny little corner less than an inch square and that was all I ate! I let it sit on the counter until my husband came home late last night and he finished it off.

I was so happy to have just a little taste and to let the rest sit there. Might not sound like a big victory but chocolate and nuts are my downfall so this was HUGE for me. I must've walked past that thing 10 times and didn't take another bite - yay!!

13. I think that's awesome! Especially resisting after getting a little taste. The other day I walked by a box of doughnuts in the kitchen at work...I wanted one pretty bad, but I felt much better for being strong and avoiding them. Every once in awhile I get motivated like that, come into my office and do tricep raises and stuff. haha

14. ^ ita. also, good idea to do exercises instead of having a donut...

15. I LOVE it when I can resist something I have a weakness for - it shows that I am in control and not my whims. Congrats!