Switching jobs when you're pretty happy at your current one?

1. In my current job, I do public relations and outreach for a state agency. My one-year anniversary is in July. I really enjoy my job, but lately I've been thinking about moving on. If I did this, it would be in August, after my 10-day Keys vacation :graucho: or September. Or whenever something would come along.

Thing is, I'm not sure if I could find the same great work environment and benefits at another workplace.

My office environment is pretty relaxed, my co-workers are great and we get along well, I have good vacation and sick time, I can ask for a day off and pretty much always get it. The state employee health benefits and retirement plan are both great.

However, I am getting some sort of "itch" to move on. My main goal is to do media and public relations in a Media/PR manager type position. My workplace now does not really a great place to "move up", seeing as how the PR team consists of our PR Manager and me. I would also like to make more money :shame: My salary is good, but I can do better. Thing is, I hate the thought of giving up my great, low-stress work environment! I kind of like the thought of getting back into private industry and kicking some corporate butt and earning a great salary. But, at the same time I don't want to be working 70 hours a week and sacrificing my sanity, all while wishing I had my easy job back ;)

Has anyone been in this situation before? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

2. I was in a similar situation a few months ago. I loved my job, had a great reputation with my company, worked from home (so I created my own schedule each day) and saw my boss maybe once a month. Then another job opportunity presented itself and I debated whether it was worth jumping to another company and starting over again, even though this new company meant more upward possibilities than my current position. I was also scared of losing the cushy schedule I had created for myself. I decided to go for it...and now I couldn't be happier! Turns out my new job is even easier and better than the last one - I have much more flexibility (if you can imagine) and see my new boss maybe once a quarter! Plus I now make roughly 15% more than I did before. I do miss the relationships I had at my old job, and hate having to prove myself again, but the pros seriously outweigh the cons. If you are itching for a move...it may be the right decision! :smile:

3. Sailor - Congrats on finding a great job you're happy with! :nuts: Thanks for the advice. I also hate the thought of having to prove myself again, seeing as how our director is really pleased with the work the PR Manager and I have done. He and I both started around the same time last year and have completely revamped the PR & Outreach program.

But maybe you're onto something - if I'm feeling that it's time for a move, maybe it's something I should look into. I could always go on interviews, and if nothing appeals to me or offers what I'm looking for, I could just keep looking while still working at a job I like...

4. ^Yup, the best part is since you are already happy with your current job, you have a lot of leverage when it comes to negotiating. I rejected my new company's first offer, saying I had too much to lose by leaving, and told them that I wouldn't move unless I saw an increase in salary and that they paid for my $45k relocation. I thought they would say no, but they said yes! So I won out big time...all because I didn't care if I stayed or if I left, and they knew it. :smile:

5. Cristina, I suggest reading "Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson. It's a great book about dealing with change in your life.

It may give you great insight about what's right for you. It's a good 1-2 hour read that kind of opens your eyes about how people tend to feel comfortable in a certain environment and are hesistant about change.

6. Christina,

I think you pointed out the key pros and cons of each job .... and those are the key trade offs. the question is are you willing to make the tradeoff of more$$, better upward mobility for a possibly more brutal workplace and more stress?

My switch did not turn out well. i thought i was willing to do tradeoff in my case but turns out the new company had a less than pleasant and more than stressful work environment and bosses....

you need to think about the trade offs and decide if you're willing and able to deal with it in the worse case scenario where you earn more, you have a better title but the bigger company means you're doing alot more crappy tasks and you have less opportunities to learn by taking on higher level work because it's more hierachical and things are super political with your colleagues. You work longer hours and you're stressed. you need to watch what you say and you worry about what they say behind your back and you feel like it's a neverending play staged in front of your boss where you have to fight to get the projects you want to work on and defend yourself.

BUT you are doing what you wanted to do and you're earning more $$.

would you be okay with that?

and you don't need me to tell you that media PR is one of the most *****y and competitive environments..... especially if you're talking about working for a major media firm or major entertainment PR agency....

7. Cristina,

I left a job I was fairly pleased with... wasn't exactly a thrill to work there, but I really liked my co-workers. I, too, was anxious to move up and I didn't see the promotion pattern within my old company as one that would work out well for me.

I left, found a job that's what I REALLY want to do (marketing and PR). Not only did I get a big raise, but I like my new colleagues just as well (well, except maybe one!) if not better. I DO work really long hours... I wouldn't expect to be well compensated if I wasn't pulling down at least 65 hours a week. It's definitely a trade-off that's a personal decision. I'm in my 20's and feel that now is the time to work my butt off.

8. There is a lot to be said for staying in a job you like. Trust me, the majority of people hate their jobs, so if you are happy where you are, that's gold.

Being CHALLENGED, however, is another issue and that's the dilemma. Money is an issue too, but that's not everything, because no amount of money can make a miserable job better. At least in my experience.

It sounds to me like you are kinda torn about this. When I am facing decisions like this, I've learned to let it go to the "universe" for a while. I know that sounds cheese-y, but it works. If I can't make a decision, I let it go and eventually it solves itself. It works for me because I've found that if I try to force it, it only makes the situation more messed up.

Good luck. :smile:

9. Great advice everyone, thank you :smile:

Munchkyn - My mom has that book. I have been wanting to borrow it from her for a while, maybe now is the time :yes:

Bubblelicious - I agree with you 100 percent about the PR environment! I loathe agency PR :yucky: and avoid it like the plague. No amount of money (or shoes!) could make me make the switch to an agency. The cattiness and *****iness would drive me up the wall.

I've been thinking that I'm going to take the next couple of months to polish my resume, update my portfolio and in August/September more than likely start applying to jobs - but not to everything that is advertised. I think since I am happy where I'm at (though I'm not being challenged, that's one thing against this job, besides the money), I can afford to pick and choose somewhat. At least if nothing stellar comes along at first, I still have a job that I enjoy. And I still have health insurance ;)

10. I've switched firms when the one I was with was really slow to the point where I felt I just couldn't stay because I wasn't make nearly enough money. I actually considered moving to another city and couldn't find an apt. there and then ended up with an offer where I was already living. I was really happy at the new firm. Now I've moved on again to be closer to my family. One of the hardest things about moving from where I was was that i loved the place I worked. I sort of think sometimes you just know when it's the right time to go. Each time I've made a move I've been happy with my decision.

11. My switch also did not turn out well. I used to work on a low-stress unit where I had tons of flexibility from my boss and a boatload of friends. I felt I needed to learn more skills and move on (as I thought I wanted to do neonatal nurse practioner). I switched to a neighboring children's hospital, and though I AM learning more skills, it is not what I had hoped. I have since decided against being an NNP. I don't have much flexibility. In fact I couldn't even take off for my graduation and I will not be able to take vacation time for at least a year. I'm in the process of trying to switch to a different unit, as I am just not liking things.

But...I wouldn't have known this if I didn't try. I probably would have always thought in the back of my head that I should have tried it. I think all of us want what's best for us and we don't know sometimes until we try.

So best of luck. I would definitely take a venture if I were you. :smile:

12. I know what you mean I'm in the same situation, not that I am stuck with no possibilities of moving up, but stuck in a place I don't like and not moving....
    BUT I have been holding on my comfort so far, bc it's precious, the company has a good reputation as well, you have to think how yours look in your CV ?
    You've got to decide what challenges you're ready to take on and things to sacrifice ? Then it's OK to be looking, and you can -hopefully- evaluate the job during interviews.
    I totally know what you mean, it's like we're young and want to move on but wished we had found that actual company later on when needing to step back a little -like having some kids !-
    keep us posted on what you decide !

13. I can never have a career because I get bored with a job after about 3 yrs. I went to schol for art, was a video game artist for 3 yrs and HAD to get out of there because it was boring. Now I'm a receptionist for an architectural firm and I like it alright and I'm getting close to 2 yrs and I know in a yr I'll get bored and want to do something else! How can anyone do the same thing for yrs at a time!

14. Erm... I've been in the secretarial line for 33 years. :smile: