Survey of the Day: Do You Believe in Nepotism?

Do you believe in Nepotism?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Do you believe in nepotism? Explain.:flowers:
    Nepotism- favoritism (as in appointment to a job) based on kinship
  2. Is this a "Do you believe nepotism occurs?" or "Do you believe nepotism is ok?" I'm not clear on the question. Sorry, I'm a rock.:shame:
  3. ^

I do believe nepotism occurs. It happens @ my work place. I don't think it's okay.
  4. Sorry I was unclear! :crybaby:
    I mean Do you believe nepotism is ok.
  5. No, I do not think its ok. Unfortunately, I still believe that it is not what you know but who you know that gets you places in this day and age :sad:
    Horrid, but still very true, unfortunately.
  6. I vote for meritocracy over nepotism any day of the week. It make me ill to see some schmuck get promoted over someone competent because he's related to (fill in the blank). Unfortunately, it happens frequently. It's up there with the schmoozers.
  7. Same here.
  8. I'm not totally against it. As long as the person is qualified, I see nothing wrong with it. While some people get angry about nepotism, they forget that many times on the flip side of the coin people will often NOT give you a job or something like that because of who you are. They may be jealous, trying to be nasty, whatever.
  9. Ditto nathansgirl...if someone is qualified and related there's no reason to NOT give them the job.

My little cousin applied for an internship at my work and I am SO excited that she's working there. Especially because she's super talented. If she sucked I'd just be embaressed.

But I don't believe someone should get a job just because they are related. They have to be qualified.
  10. I do believe in nepotism and that it exists, but I'm not sure if I'm okay with it, although it can be a good thing to some degree, for example, my parents aren't in the field that I want to work after my education, but I have lots of friends that works for big firms in that field, and I don't think it's negative that one of them recommend me if they hear about a job that I can do and that they also puts in a good word for me to some degree. So I guess that as long as I'm capable of doing the job in question it's okay to have family or friends help me get into the business.