Food Suggestions? Mid-afternoon office slump snack...

Bitten

Chic, not cheap.
O.G.
Feb 6, 2007
Hi everyone,

I was hoping some of you could give me some suggestions for a mid-afternoon snack. I get hungry at around 3:30/4:00pm. I tend to have either a yoghurt or dried fruit and some nuts. I know how tempting the office vending machine is, but I really don't want to get into the habit of chocolate bars or soft drink at work (I see some people doing it every day and it scares the hell out of me, it's so easy to get into...)

But I'm really bored with the stuff I'm eating at the moment. And it doesn't seem to fill me up very well, and I'm usually starving at dinner. I am really into the 3 big meals of the day: love making great food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I'm completely uninspired when it comes to healthy snacks. Does anyone have any ideas for a great healthy snack that will stave off hunger in the afternoon?

TIA

The thing that works best for me (and my DH) is a tablespoon or two of peanut butter on a piece of celery, an apple or a small slice of bread.

What about the Lipton cup of soups? They are packets you make in a mug and they have a ton of different flavors. They aren't so bad and I think most of them are around 100-120 calories.

The thing that works best for me (and my DH) is a tablespoon or two of peanut butter on a piece of celery, an apple or a small slice of bread.

This is my go to snack for a healthy one. I LOVE peanut butter and apples together and it is filling.

bananas are good too, but get smooshed easily carrying to and from work.

What I pack for DH is either a fiber bar or the South Beach Living Protein bars. Those little bars come in several flavors and pack 10 grams of protein in those 150 calories. It's what I give my toddler who won't eat ANYTHING when he says he wants chocolate!

Great idea for a thread!

I'm a fan of the apple/peanut butter snack too.

Lately, I've been getting into the Trader Joe's "So a (fruit) walks into a bar ...." Comes in strawberry, fig, blueberry. Really great taste. I checked the weight watcher points and they are 3 for each bar. With a cup of tea it is really yummy!

A small serving of unsalted, raw nuts are really healthy and nutritious too, especially almonds. They have the Omega-3 "good" fat that supposedly has been shown to lower cholesterol and are also rich in fiber and anti-oxidants.

I always get hungry around that time too. I usually have apple slices with peanut butter, a Fiber One bar or a Chai Latte. But of course there are those days when only a handful of peanut M&Ms will suffice :lol:

Oh... this is a good one too! especially if you make them whole wheat Pita squares.

Yes, the whole wheat taste even more delicious to me. You could also switch it up with veggies and hummus. I love the artichoke, kalamata olive, sundried tomato, scallion, roasted red pepper, and original hummus flavors the best. The most mouthwatering is homemade hummus, though.

Finn crackers are also delicious. Mmm think I may have that for a snack tonight with my roasted red pepper hummus! I drive myself crazy lol. :drool:

I always get hungry around that time too. I usually have apple slices with peanut butter, a Fiber One bar or a Chai Latte. But of course there are those days when only a handful of peanut M&Ms will suffice :lol:

Ain't that the truth! I always say chocolate was made for the 3 o'clock snack! Either chocolate or a short nap for me!! LOL

Thanks so much for all the responses everyone!!

I needed some help to boost me out of my food rut - the peanut butter snack suggestions seem popular, I'll definitely be getting a jar for work...and maybe some cuppa soups as well...

Maxter, I totally agree, chocolate definitely comes into its own in the afternoon...