Suggestions for new / good book?

1. I need a good book! I usually love to read, but for the last 6 months or so haven't found anything that grabs me.

I like a wide range of genres; chick lit, mysterys, classics.

Any suggestions?
  2. If you haven't already read The Kite Runner, I highly recommend that.

But as far as new releases in the last 6 months, I grabbed Dark Angels
    but have not read it yet.

3. i really enjoyed the time traveler's wife and running with scissors.
  4. Yes, totally agree on The Kite Runner, haunting story..

For light reading, recently I've read The Undomestic Goddess and Devil Wears Prada....both super fun to read.

For a cool read, try The World Is Flat, it'll change the way you look into the future.
  5. the wind singer is great, everyone thinks its just for chilren but its such a diverse book and its very unusual tale :smile:
  6. i'm reading "the secret history" from donna tart. and "satanic verses" from salman rushdie
  7. Salman Rushdie has just been confirmed to teach at my alma mater-Emory University. I'm so thrilled for my school! :yahoo:

As for books my suggestions are: The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
    Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. The Book Thief broke my heart, but it was such a great and different read.
  8. Anything by Jodi Picoult. I just love her books! My Sister's Keeper is my favorite, but I also really enjoyed Plain Truth and The Pact.
  9. A couple of months ago i read "Perfume: The story of a Murderer" by Patrick Suskind, i think there is a movie out now in Europe, it is such an interesting book!!! If you havent read it yet, i highly reccomend!!!
  10. I just finished "The Husband" by Dean Koontz a few wks. ago. Was my 1st Dean K. book. Was pretty good!!! I liked it!!!!!! It's a Thriller/Suspense. It kept my interest....which is a big deal being I get bored fast. I'll be reading more of his bks. in the future. :yes:

I started "The Devil Wears Prada" (before "The Husband")...but got bored so now I'm trying to read Devil wears Prada again...and I'm falling asleep reading it. I don't know maybe I'm just cut out more for suspense?? Who knows? I keep pushing myself to finish it. I'm currently on Chapter 6. I really wanted to see the movie, but figured I'd read the book first. It's's cute...but I think just not too interesting for me??:shrugs: I don't know...

I also have waiting for me to read: "Cell" by Stephen King, and "Lovers & Players" by Jackie Collins. Maybe I'll start one of those. :rolleyes:
  11. Thanks so much for all the suggestions!
  12. I also love Jodi Picoult of the best books I have read in a long time is called "Shantaram". It is a true story that reads like a novel about a guy that was in prison in Australia. He escaped and fled to India, where he really immersed himself in the local lifestyle. It is a truly amazing read.
  13. i got mitch albom's new book - for one more day. haven't read it though. but im sure i'll love it.
  14. My favorite is "Angelas Ashes"....I couldnt put it down so I read his 2nd book "Tis"....the first one, won a distingused award too....:yes:
  15. The Covenant by Naomi Ragen is amazing. It's about a young woman living in Isreal and the kidnapping of her husband and daughter.

One of my favorite mystery authors is Bruce Alexander. He wrote a series abotu a blind judge in the 1700s who solves crimes with the help of a young boy. It's an amazing series, the first of it is Blind Jusice