Suggestions for a good read?

1. Hi everyone! I have GCs to Amazon and I'm looking for books to buy. If you could kindly post your fave titles + authors and a short overview of the story, you will have my eternal gratitude! :p

Already in my cart are The Secret History by Donna Tartt and The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I like books by Anne Rice, Elizabeth Allende, Paolo Coelho, and basically anything interesting and worthwhile to read! If you have suggestions for great self help books, post them too!

Hope you can help me out PFers! TIA!!! :shame:

2. My absolute favorite book of all time is The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Here's a brief description provided on Amazon:

The Fountainhead has become an enduring piece of literature, more popular now than when published in 1943. On the surface, it is a story of one man, Howard Roark, and his struggles as an architect in the face of a successful rival, Peter Keating, and a newspaper columnist, Ellsworth Toohey. But the book addresses a number of universal themes: the strength of the individual, the tug between good and evil, the threat of fascism. The confrontation of those themes, along with the amazing stroke of Rand's writing, combine to give this book its enduring influence.

I also loved Rand's other book, Atlas Shrugged, but that's a bit more philosophically-oriented than the Fountainhead. This book completely changed my perspective on everything. LOVE it. A long read (720 pages) but definitely worth it.

3. The Fountainhead is my all-time favorite book. I used to make it a point to read it once a year. Funny how in different times in your life, it had new insight and meaning. You notice things you somehow missed before.

For a new book, you can't beat "The Blind Side" by Michael Lewis. It will have you crying, laughing out loud, and amazed at the strength and determination of this family and their 'soon-to-be" adopted child. It's a true story. I actually know most of the people in the book, but you don't have to know them to love it. It helps if you like sports, but it's a human-interest story extraordinaire, and you can skip the football philosophy of Bill Walsh, for example, and never miss a beat.

Three days before it was announced that a best-selling book about their family was about to come out, I talked to the father for quite a while, and he never mentioned a word about the fact that he was about to become a household name across America. After reading the book, I commented to my husband that this was going to be fought over for the movie rights. It was. I think (but can't remember for sure) that 20th Century Fox won the battle.

Get it tomorrow and you will finish it in two days...maybe one. You can't put it down. And you will NEVER forget it.

4. Great suggestion ladies.. makes me want to go read Fountainhead and Blind side!

5. i do this too!!!!!! and yes, it always has new/different meaning each time......ahhhhhhhh :nuts:

6. I agree 100% with Foutainhead!!!

Also, As I Lay Dying and Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner. They are crazy books that are structured not like your typical book so beware for an adventure!!!

Somebody's Daughter by (I think) M. Lee, is amazing. Its about an adopted Korean girl brought to America and then in her collegiate years returns to Korea to find her birth mom.

Tortila Curtian, don't know the author off hand, but its an amazing story that is brings the race and social class issues that Crash did.

7. Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon - Pynchon's books can be beasts, but this is a slim little one. It's about a woman who gets wrapped up in this strange conspiracy involving an alternate postal service. The underlying theme is weirdness and paranoia. LOVE it.

Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth - Jewish guy *****ing to a shrink about his sexual problems. It's extremely entertaining if you're not too squeamish.

8. "Rich Dad,Poor Dad" - Robert Kiyosaki

9. "We Need to Talk about Kevin". I just finished this recently for bookclub and I couldn't put it down. The topic is pretty grim, but here's the Amazon editorial:

A number of fictional attempts have been made to portray what might lead a teenager to kill a number of schoolmates or teachers, Columbine style, but Shriver's is the most triumphantly accomplished by far. A gifted journalist as well as the author of seven novels, she brings to her story a keen understanding of the intricacies of marital and parental relationships as well as a narrative pace that is both compelling and thoughtful. Eva Khatchadourian is a smart, skeptical New Yorker whose impulsive marriage to Franklin, a much more conventional person, bears fruit, to her surprise and confessed disquiet, in baby Kevin. From the start Eva is ambivalent about him, never sure if she really wanted a child, and he is balefully hostile toward her; only good-old-boy Franklin, hoping for the best, manages to overlook his son's faults as he grows older, a largely silent, cynical, often malevolent child. The later birth of a sister who is his opposite in every way, deeply affectionate and fragile, does nothing to help, and Eva always suspects his role in an accident that befalls little Celia. The narrative, which leads with quickening and horrifying inevitability to the moment when Kevin massacres seven of his schoolmates and a teacher at his upstate New York high school, is told as a series of letters from Eva to an apparently estranged Franklin, after Kevin has been put in a prison for juvenile offenders. This seems a gimmicky way to tell the story, but is in fact surprisingly effective in its picture of an affectionate couple who are poles apart, and enables Shriver to pull off a huge and crushing shock far into her tale. It's a harrowing, psychologically astute, sometimes even darkly humorous novel, with a clear-eyed, hard-won ending and a tough-minded sense of the difficult, often painful human enterprise.

10. If you are in a mood for challenging classics:

As I Lay Dying and The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner, as already suggested by a previous poster, are both brilliant reads. If the "stream-of-conscious" style of writing is not your cup of tea, I would avoid Faulkner altogether. If you do decide to delve into a Faulkner work, As I Lay Dying is probably one of his most accessable, and bizarre, novels.

Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margerita or Heart of a Dog

Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita

11. ^great classics listed above! i liked the historian but the ending was a bit disappointing. it was very well-written though.

for something recent, i really liked the kite runner by khaled hosseini (i may have spelt that wrong). it's the story of an afghani man and revolves around the ties of a family. it's a riveting read. i highly recommend this!

i just finished middlesex by jeffrey eugenides. it's about the story of a hermaphrodite tracing the history of his/her becoming. a very interesting read with a unique perspective, to say the least!

12. Tortilla Curtain is a great read.
    I read Middlesex a few years ago, I agree, very interesting read.
    The Audacity of Hope, by Barack Obama, great book.
    How to Be Good, by Nick Hornby and A Long Way Down, also by Hornby.

13. Definitely "Running with Scissors" or "Possible Side Effects" both by Augusten Burroughs. They're hysterical.

14. I love all the books you mentioned in your original post :yes:

Check out 'Life of Pi', John Martel
    and 'West with the Night' by beryl Markham

Out-standing stuff!!

15. Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is a good read too:yes: