Suggestion: Newbies & questions forums

1. Hey! First of all, thank you for this forum! :flowers:

I'd like to suggest that you have a questions thread and a newbie sub-forum clearly visible from the main page.

I think it would be great for us to have a newbie forum. I think many people will agree that joining a big forum can be overwhelming, and it's nice to have an obvious starting point.

It would be a nice place for newbies to introduce themselves and be welcomed, ask questions they may not want to ask in the rest of the forum (or not know where to yet!), or bond with other new members.

The newbie forum could contain stickies to help newbies navigate -- writing a little bit about each of the sub-forums, perhaps, or reminding new posters about the conditions required to join the Marketplaza. (I missed the link at first and had to look for it.) It could also contain fun threads like, "How did you discover the PurseBlog?"/"Why did you join?" and generally encourage newbies to get their feet wet.

Secondly, I'd like to see a clear place where members can ask questions. I know you can ask questions in this forum, but "Feedback" is a broad term! You could split this forum up into "site feedback," "ideas," and "questions," stuff like that. A little bit of organization would make it easier for people to pin-point the threads where people are asking questions (increasing the chances that these questions will get answered).

Thank you!

2. I think the newbie sub-forum is a particularly good idea. :yes:

I agree that some newbies may feel slightly intimidated (unnecessarily, of course! :biggrin: ) and a sub-forum that feels 'safe' and where everyone else is in the same boat, may be a good way for them to learn to navigate the forum.

Personally, I just blundered straight in, but still! :shame: :lol:

3. I think this is actually a pretty good idea. I notice that there are alot of newer PFers everyday, so I think with such a successful, growing forum, a section for newbies is great.

4. I will get on it!

5. what if there was a "Mentor Program"? Like when they sign up they get an automated response much like the "Who the Heck are Ya?" thread and tehy request a MEntor, someone they can ask questions and have help them navigate?

Crud, seemed like a good idea, now it just seems like a lot of work!

6. Actually, since the update, new members get a welcome PM. I should include some basic info on posting and such and link to the How-To threads. Great idea Swanky.

7. :cutesy:

8. I agree too - this sounds great!

I was so nervous when I first joined I tended to loiter before joining in!:shame:

9. Mentors would be wonderful! Maybe based on their favorite designer and some of the folks that frequent the designer could help them out. I would have loved that when I first got here. I was TOTALLY intimidated when I got here. I felt like no one cared about what I had to say and any thoughts or info I posted (I still feel that way some days). It took me 3 months to really start showing myself. I'm sure there are many Pfers that would love to help newbies out.

All these ideas may help with the incidents that happen with newbies and not knowing the rules. It saves them embarassment as well.

10. The mentor program would be such a great idea...
    Sometimes I feel intimidated since it feels that all the respected members get all the attention.:shame: