Stupid Treadmill....

1. Okay, so a few months ago I started getting intense pain in my shin whenever I'd accidentally push on the bone. My general family doctor couldn't figure the problem out so he recommended a sports medicine doctor. After x-rays and bone scans, we found out that it's a tibial stress fracture. He was going to give me a boot but decided since I work at a hair salon, I need something to take more of the pressure off. So he gave me crutches instead. The crutches are HORRID!!! They make my arm muscles so sore and I can't even use them. The muscles in my arms are so sore and weak that I can't even push down on the crutches to move anymore. So I've been working and not using them, therefore, not helping my problem. But I really can't use the crutches anyway at work, I'm constantly washing hair, carrying stuff and just moving all over the place. My leg KILLS me after I'm done but there's not much I can do. He wants to see me in three weeks and if nothing's better I have to cut my hours at work. I CAN'T do that or else I'll go into a financial crisis. I wish he would just give me the boot so I can take at least some of the pressure off.

Stupid treadmill....It's the reason why I have this problem!!!

Can anybody help me out?
  2. Are you sure it isn't the shoes you are using while on the treadmill? A friend of mine tells me that most running injuries are footwear related...

Hope you feel better... good luck.
  3. Hmmm, I'm not too sure. I have Nike running shoes. I've stopped exercising all together in order to give my legs a rest but it's just taking forever to heal. I called the doctor today and asked if he would give me a boot so I can go pick that up monday. Hopefully it'll help.
  4. I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I could not run for a couple of months. I was advised to either run on grass or treadmill (as I was running on the street) to minimize impact and I have not had a problem since...
  5. Wow I'm sorry to hear about your pain & hope u get better soon! I think thatbaglady hit the mark you might want to check your sneakers, I've had my treadmill for about 10yrs & use it almost daily running/walking/speed walking everything u can think of & I have never had any pains. Also do you stretch before/after I've heard this helps & I'm sure it doesn't help that at work your always on your feet all day. Well I hope you take care of that before it gets too serious, good luck with the boot!
  6. It's not going to help the situation right now but if you want to go back to running later go to a running shoe store that has a machine you can run over it reads how or foot leans when it land (look at the shoes on your shoes they'll be more worn on edge) then you can get shoes that can correct this and place less stress on the rest of the body
  7. The treadmill is as much at fault for your stress fractures as the pavement would be if you were an outdoors runner! Stress fractures are in general due to overuse, and can be exacerbated by other factors such as poor biomechanical function, inappropriate footwear, and running downhills.

I'm still recovering from a shattered leg with internal fixation from last year (I have a thread on here somewhere about it), and over the last 12 months both a treadmill and elliptical machine were a major part of my recovery. You're clearly still at an acute phase of your healing and won't be able to do too much, but once you can weight bear and then start walking again there are some tips that will allow you to start running again quicker and also prevent a recurrance.

When using a tready, set the incline to a minimum of 2%. This helps take away the advantage of running on the machine rather than on the road - the machine 'pulls' your legs back for you, rather than you pushing them back. The 2% counters this, but also because you're on an incline you're not falling so far, and so striking forces upon your legs are reduced. When I first started I found it easier and less painful to walk at an incline of 8%, which is really quite a noticeable hill! I'm back to running a lot now, up to 8km now but will be running 10km again next week, and always use the incline on longer runs to get the benefit of the run without such high impact as running usually is.

Secondly, and this will sound obvious, but build up gradually. Your bones need to strengthen to accommodate heavier loadings the same way muscles and connective tissues also need to strengthen. With bones of course this takes a lot longer. In general people become unstuck when they progress too quickly through a fitness program - their muscles will gain strength pretty quickly and they'll feel great, but connective tissues holding the muscles to the bones (tendons) and bones to eachother (ligaments) have less circulation and are far slower to strengthen to the same degree. You can work out what happens here, sooner or later the strength of the muscle exceeds that of the connective tissues which hold it and they hurt. Niggles become injuries, become tears. Knee injuries often start this way, but in the same manner shin splints can occur when the repetitive loading on the legs exceeds the strength and the time available for the tissues to repair between runs. So not just for your bones' sake but also for your other bits and bobs, build your sessions and capabilities slower than you feel you need to!

Pain hurts!
    Another no-brainer that even after over two decades of high-level sporting training and competing I'm still having trouble doing - if it hurts, stop. Don't start again until it no longer hurts. If it doesn't stop hurting, see a Doc! Simple, huh? But it's so haaarrrdd when you just want to keep training! :push: After a year dealing with at times horrendous leg pain I've a high tolerance for pain (and have also simply learnt to ignore it!), and after such a long rehab the last thing I want to do now that I'm running properly again is stop for a silly minor knee niggle. So I kept going, and now have a brand new leg problem to complain about to poor MrFrankie. Yay, me. So, if it hurts, stop. You had signs a long time ago that there was a problem, and stress fractures (as the name implies) don't occur overnight. Listen to your body, there's no pain without a cause. :yes:

Before you start again make sure you see a podiatrist and perhaps a chiropractor too to be sure that everything else that may be a contributing factor is taken care of. Malaligned knees, pelvis, even a neck that's not straight can cause effects in other parts of your body, and you don't need to have other issues when you already have quite enough to deal with, thank you. Have your gait and foot/leg alignment check by a podiatrist. They will recommend the right shoes for you to prevent further damage. Your body is only designed to work one way - your bones are constructed to take the major forces along a certain alignment where of course they are strongest, so as you can imagine even a malalignment of 5 degrees can be pushing the up to 5x bodyweight of force every time you strike heavily whilst running fast along your bone's weakest areas! You'll only need one visit to each to get it checked up - if you're fine, then you know you're fine. If your legs/feet/back aren't as they should be, then it's just as well you've gone. :tup:

Got a running club in your area, or a coaching clinic? This doesn't need to be an ongoing thing, but get somebody to check your gait and movement. You might be running in a manner which predisposes yourself to injury. Might sound obvious but not everybody naturally runs well once they're grown up! Whilst you're there pick their brains regarding your running program and training schedule. When I started running last year I had no idea how to train myself.. I started out fine, doing run/walks (I could only run for 2mins when I started!) and after 3 months ran my first 10km, but after that I didn't know where to take it. I wanted to race 10kms and aim for a goal time of sub-40mins, so carried on training myself but ended up with injury after injury. Just niggly stuff, but frustrating as they kept coming back. I eventually got myself an online running coach and was staggered at the training sets he gave me! He told me to run two easy runs of 40mins each week (I did these at 5min/km pace, 12kmh), which were only 8km, and two speed sessions! I asked where my 10km runs were, and found that training for running, because it's so high-impact, is vastly different to the swimming training I'd been used to since I was 7. I'd been training myself with running every second day, and making each session a killer. I'd run one 10km a week but the shorter runs of 6-8km I'd run faster so that I'd still feel flogged. Hello, overtraining injuries! Although I'm an ex-national rep swimmer and could train a squad if I wanted to, I knew nothing about running training at all and would have probably ended up in your position if I'd carried on doing what I was doing. Advice is invaluable. I don't mind either if you want more training and rehab advice - I've been through it all, happy to chat to you about any aspect of your recovery, even just the "I'm so flarking sick of this" aspects! :flowers:

What now? Your rehab..
    So, what to do. You're hobbled and obviously aren't coping well with using the crutches which isn't going to help. I was amazed at how hard crutches were to use, and I only weighed 50kg and was strong and fit from gym. They are tiring! Although because of the screws and rod in my leg I only had a cast for 3 weeks I was forbidden to weight bear at all for the first 6 weeks, then gradually after that. I wouldn't have been able to anyway, but yes, getting around and doing stuff is a pain in the bee-hind and incredibly frustrating. I think probably it's worse for you than it was for me - I didn't have a choice, but it sounds like you can hobble on your leg without crutches and how tempting it would be to ditch the crutches! Still you know you can't keep doing that, you won't heal, so make it as easy for you as possible. Not being able to carry things like a simple cup of coffee is a pain, but for most things you can put a messenger type bag on and chuck stuff in that. I have a pic I can post later of me with mine (I'm at work and photobucket's blocked here). Get better crutches, and make sure they're at the correct length. I started with the tall crutches but chose the Canadian crutches instead, the short ones with the loops. They took a day of getting used to but I found them way easier and more convenient, and you can stand on your good leg and dangle them from your arms whilst you do stuff. For the cups of coffee, don't give in and hobble.. I set up a little table halfway between the kitchen bench and the next point I could set the cup down, on a heater. I just crutched to the midway points and passed it from one point to another. Sounds a hassle but really it only takes a minute. You need to be patient with everything, but really there's no other way around it.

..continued, I wrote too much. :push:

8. For exercise and rehab, try water running. You can get deep water running belts that you clip around your waist, then you can 'run' in the deep water! No impact, and it helps keep your legs going, especially glutes and hammies. When your leg has healed a bit you'll be contending with atrophied muscles as well as old fractures, and again that's a minefield for more injuries as discussed above. You may be able to use an exercise bike on zero loading in a little while, and keep your fitness up that way, plus gradually increase load over time. It's a good controlled way to gradually increase bone load without the risk of tripping or jarring your leg. I was on the bike whilst I still had a cast, much to the amusement of other gym goers, it can be done! Try floor exercises, simply leg lifts, side raises, that sort of thing to maintain muscle tone, especially for your quads. It's hideous how quickly your muscle atrophies, I have a pic on that thread here of mine of my legs the first day I got the cast off 2 weeks post-op. My left leg was still a runners leg; my right leg, a paraplegic's. Hideous. My quads melted away, and my calf of course was nowhere to be seen. Very important to keep your quads going because when you're walking again you'll be unstable, especially around your knee as your quads stabilise the knee on both sides. Again it's a case of knocking all other potential problems on the head before they can arise. Once you can weight bear a bit more without pain, try the elliptical machine at the gym. Put it onto a 'rehab' setting, most have one, where the resistance isn't variable. You can start at almost zero resistance (though your legs feel like they're a windmill!) and it's a great no impact exercise that I found fantastic for cardio and leg strength. I couldn't still walk at all when I started on the elliptical, but was within two weeks able to do an hour on it at a moderate level! It's amazing the difference the controlled resistance makes over even something like walking. Try different things out.

Anyway that's all I can think of for now.. I've only had two coffees this morning so far and barely slept last night! If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to fire them at me. Like I said I've just gone through it all and worse, so have plenty of experience and have certainly done things the hard way myself with previous overtraining injuries too. In my fitness blog I have older posts from when I started it in around March I think, I couldn't walk properly back then and either had crutches still or my walking stick, so take a look if you like for some training ideas.

Hope this helps! And chin up, you'll get there. xxx
  9. just go back to your doctor and ask for the boot
  10. wow Frankie, thanks for all the info. Lauren you need to rest a little bit more, I know they just gave you more hours and I remember how happy you were and how much you love your job BUT your health is more important. You dont wanna mess with your bones... you can damage them more. Go back to your doctor and aske for the bottie and rest a little more.