Stuffing !!!

• 2 (6 ounce) packages cornbread stuffing mix
    • 1 pound ground pork sausage
    • 1 onion, chopped
    • 4 stalks celery, chopped
    • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
    • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
    • 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
    1. Prepare cornbread stuffing mix according to package directions. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown; drain.
    3. In a large bowl, mix cornbread stuffing, sausage, onion, celery, butter, poultry seasoning and desired amount of chicken broth.
    4. Transfer mixture to a medium baking dish. Cover, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browne
    This is my Husbands favouite stuffing with Turkey or Chicken I usually make this at Christmas time. I don't eat meat so i make a extra portion without the sausage.

What's your favourite stuffing recipe?
  2. ^^^close to my recipe, but I add apples :smile:
  3. Since my mom passed away 4 years ago (and took all her great recipes with her!) I'm on the look out for a great stuffing recipe.
    Anyone willing to share?
  4. prada i've never made stuffing there a certain amount of chicken broth you recommend as a minimum/maximum?....because knowing me i'll add WAAAAAY too much :confused1:
  5. How big is the bird ?
    I usually add a cup of broth for a large bird.
  6. I'm one of those don't measure, just add until it seems good people. For stuffing (in the bird), add enough broth (or if you've cooked the giblets in water, strain the water and use it for the dressing or gravy) until the bread mixture is fairly moist, but the bread and other ingredients aren't like paste and too smooshed together, because the stuffing will get additional moisture from the bird as it roasts. If you cook it separately from the bird--dressing--it will need more liquid to keep from drying out in the oven.

Best idea is to add some broth, mix the stuffing up, then add a little more, stir again, etc. until the consistency is what you want. Same goes for adding the sage or poultry seasoning, so you don't over-season.
  7. Here is my turned out AMAZING! I know it is past Thanksgiving, but it is still something good to try out!

Pumpkin Muffin Stuffin'

7 medium pumpkin muffins
    2 machintosh apples
    2 cups of craisins
    1 cup of wallnuts
    3tbs of sunflower seeds (raw)
    .5 can of chicken stock

crumble the muffins in a dish (i use smartware bakeware)
    chop apples into small peices and add to dish
    add the rest of ingredients (expect chicken stock/broth)
    mix throughly
    add chicken stock
    bake for 15-20min
  8. prada we had a 20 pound bird.....i tried your stuffing for my boyfriend's family's thanksgiving dinner, and everybody loved it!! :yes: i made a few additions and tweeked the recipe, but it was sosososso yummy :drool: thanks so much for helping me out everyone said it was the best part of the meal...
  9. I want to revive this thread - Thanksgiving is coming to the states - I've cooked entire Thanksgiving meals before (usually sticking to what my mother wanted to serve), but never at my own place - my bf and I are hosting our first Thanksgiving as a couple in our own home for our families and I'm looking to try new things.

I've never made stuffing from scratch and would like to try it a few times before the big day - Anyone have some additional recipes to share or websites to check out?
  10. ^ Oh - preferably meat-less stuffing - thanks!
  11. I found this one in another thread from HuntJumpSC which looks yummy!:

Good ol' Southern style dressing (we don't dare call it stuffing!) is fairly easy to make. I found this recipe online & it's the closest I can find to my Mom's. She also adds diced boiled egg to her dressing, along with some cooked chicken from making the stock. Don't be afraid to add more stock from a can if needed. The secret to good dressing is plenty of stock to keep it wet (there's nothing worse than dressing so dry you could brick a house with it) and be sure to add plenty of sage & black pepper. I'm the dressing taster at Thanksgiving, meaning my job is to taste until it's right before it gets baked. I love my job!
    • 1 (16 ounce) package dry corn bread mix
    • 2 tablespoons butter
    • 1/2 cup chopped celery
    • 1 small onion
    • 2 cups chicken stock
    • 2 tablespoons dried sage
    • salt and pepper to taste
    1. Prepare the dry corn bread mix according to package directions. Cool and crumble.
    2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 9x13 inch baking dish.
    3. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and saute the celery and onion until soft.
    4. In a large bowl, combine the celery, onions, 3 cups crumbled corn bread, chicken stock, sage and salt and pepper to taste; mix well.
    5. Place into prepared dish and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

PS~ This recipe states that it serves 6, so if you're really cooking for a crowd, I'd double it. You can also freeze any extra.
  12. OMG....this is making me hungry for thanksgiving dinner...
  13. i LOVE stuffing!!
  14. StoveTop Stuffing PLUS .....
    .... cranberries, pine nuts, fresh thyme, rosemary, little sage, lemon zest

BUT I don't wait for thanksgiving ..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::lolots::lolots:
  15. Stuffing is my favourite. My mom's is amazing but I will eat anything. I have never tried cornbread stuffing though, sounds delish!