studs or bracelet? please help :)

veneti

Pocketbook Queen ;)
O.G.
Feb 16, 2012
hi, i am ready to get my first vca piece and i want it to be either the sweet alhambra earstuds (white mother of pearl/yg) or the matching bracelet (white mother of pearl/yg).
right now it has to be either the earrings or the bracelet because i can't get both :biggrin:

i tend to get the bracelet because i want to wear it with my yg cartier love or with my watch on the other wrist (chanel premiere yg w diamonds).
but the earrings are so cute and playful, too. though i am afraid they might look too big and eyecatching? usually i prefer teeny tiny little studs. if they are too big, i would rather go for the bracelet.

i dont have a vca boutique close enough to see the jewellery in person so i would make an order and have it shipped to my house.

what do you think? can you suggest any of these as my first vca piece and help me decide?
thank you so much :smile:

edit: these are of a size of studs i think i might actually like!
https://a.1stdibscdn.com/archivesE/upload/j_288/33_15/img_6383/IMG_6383_l.jpeg
http://sg3.clozette.it/clozette/f_j...ec55d5e7/da5e84fcd6104476b5a19a969108cf3a.jpg

thes ones though are too big for me:
http://s594.photobucket.com/user/mi_dolci/media/tPF/Untitled001-4.jpg.html
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8JKRR8c5-...v8iLsHyF8XU/s1600/FullSizeRender+%2813%29.jpg

can you tell if the sweet alhambra studs from the website are either of these sizes? thank you :smile:
http://www.vancleefarpels.com/eu/en...ambra/vcara44800-sweet-alhambra-earstuds.html

(modelling photos i found on the google picture search)

Last edited:
The sweet earrings are the size that you like. The larger ones have Omaga backs (safer than studs in my opinion).
Just a warning - the bracelet comes in the standard 7-inch length, so it may be too long for you. If you order it, you need to find out if you can have some of the links removed beforehand. Since you do not live close to VCA boutique, you need to make sure the bracelet shipped to you has the correct length. Thus, you need to determine and specify the correct length. The bracelet looks better if the number of links is the same between motifs, so determining how many links to be removed, both between motifs and total for the entire bracelet, is necessary. If your wriist size requires an odd number of links to be removed, find out the best way beforehand, so you can specify in your order. Last thing I want is to have all of the links removed in one spot.

One more thing - request that VCA to send you all the removed links, so if you need to lengthen the bracelet in the future, you need not have to pay extra for the new links.

The sweet earrings are the size that you like. The larger ones have Omaga backs (safer than studs in my opinion).
Just a warning - the bracelet comes in the standard 7-inch length, so it may be too long for you. If you order it, you need to find out if you can have some of the links removed beforehand. Since you do not live close to VCA boutique, you need to make sure the bracelet shipped to you has the correct length. Thus, you need to determine and specify the correct length. The bracelet looks better if the number of links is the same between motifs, so determining how many links to be removed, both between motifs and total for the entire bracelet, is necessary. If your wriist size requires an odd number of links to be removed, find out the best way beforehand, so you can specify in your order. Last thing I want is to have all of the links removed in one spot.

One more thing - request that VCA to send you all the removed links, so if you need to lengthen the bracelet in the future, you need not have to pay extra for the new links.

+1

Agree with what Christiflora said.

What size Love do u wear? For me, I wear Love cuff size 16 and the normal VanCleef bracelets are too loose for me. Though I recall there is a jump ring for the Sweet Alhambra bracelet so that u can wear at shorter length. Perhaps get the SA to measure the length for u and where the jump ring would be.

U probably should note that if u wear with your Love bracelet or watch, they may scratch the stone unless u get the single motif pink gold one.

As for earrings, the Sweet size is good for daily wear and if u like them dainty / delicate.
You should consider the earrings if u are a earrings person and would wear them. But if you can save up a bit, you should get the vintage Alhambra size as it gives better presence and value for money.

Reactions: lshpak
Just a warning - the bracelet comes in the standard 7-inch length, so it may be too long for you. If you order it, you need to find out if you can have some of the links removed beforehand. Since you do not live close to VCA boutique, you need to make sure the bracelet shipped to you has the correct length. Thus, you need to determine and specify the correct length.

thank you so much, all this information is very helpful.
I didn't consider that the bracelet might be too long for me, but I'm pretty sure now it will be.
thank you also for the information regarding the studs. I really low this small size and might should go for them then instead of the bracelet, since I actually do have so many bracelet already and often can't decide which one to wear :biggrin:

+1

Agree with what Christiflora said.

What size Love do u wear? For me, I wear Love cuff size 16 and the normal VanCleef bracelets are too loose for me. Though I recall there is a jump ring for the Sweet Alhambra bracelet so that u can wear at shorter length. Perhaps get the SA to measure the length for u and where the jump ring would be.

U probably should note that if u wear with your Love bracelet or watch, they may scratch the stone unless u get the single motif pink gold one.

As for earrings, the Sweet size is good for daily wear and if u like them dainty / delicate.
You should consider the earrings if u are a earrings person and would wear them. But if you can save up a bit, you should get the vintage Alhambra size as it gives better presence and value for money.

thanks so much for your help!! :smile:

I am wearing the love bangle size 16. I wanted to get a single motif bracelet, but all the hassle with removing the links to make it fit turned me a bit off. might be different if I had a vca boutique close to my place.

I love earrings, but I prefer them always very small. is the vintage Alhambra size the same size as the sweet ones?
and are the sweet ones safe for every day wear, or is it easy to lose them?

thanks so much for your help!! :smile:

I am wearing the love bangle size 16. I wanted to get a single motif bracelet, but all the hassle with removing the links to make it fit turned me a bit off. might be different if I had a vca boutique close to my place.

I love earrings, but I prefer them always very small. is the vintage Alhambra size the same size as the sweet ones?
and are the sweet ones safe for every day wear, or is it easy to lose them?

I tried the sweets before and while they are good for daily wear, I found it hard to place the posts / backings which are small, hence abit of hassle there.

Vintage Alhambra size is bigger, like the bigger one in one of your links. I feel this size works well for daily too and is easier to put on due to the omega / clip backs and prob more secure.

Is there really no way to get to a VCA boutique for u to try? That would be the best way to gauge if u are comfortable with the size.

EDIT: I see u are located in Germany, seems only one VCA boutique in Germany at Munich. Are u near there or perhaps any chance for u to be traveling to nearby countries with VCA?

I have/had both regular size, 3-prong diamond studs (about 5.5mm Diamond) and the sweet earrings. For the size, I think the Diamond and sweet motif are about the same size. I thought I saw a photo of you profile face showing the size of your earlobe. Perhaps you deleted the photo. If that person was you, then I think the sweet earrings will look great on you , because your earlobe is very small. The larger vintage motif earring is almost the size of a dime (US 10 cents). Although I much prefer it for myself due to its presence, I think it may be too big on you. Too bad you do not live close to VCA to try on.

As for security and ease of removal, I think the sweet earrings are more secure than the regular pushback of the 3-prong Diamond stud, because I have to squeeze hard on the side button of the back disc in order to release it from the post. Therefore, the back disc of sweet earring stays on more than the 3-prong Diamond stud post. However, due to the relative short post length of the sweet earrings, it is difficult to handle the sweet earrings when putting them on and removing them. I just have to be patient and get used to the maneuvering. That is all.

Honestly, between the sweet earring and the sweet bracelet, I would recommend the sweet earrings. 1. People notice your earrings first as they look at your face before they look at you wrist. 2. MOP Earrings are safer than MOP bracelet, because there is less potential danger of knocking against anything hard including other jewelry or watch. When stacking bracelets, it is better to wear all metal bracelets. If there must be diamonds or delicate stones, then make sure there is minimal chance of the delicate stones hitting hard objects. For example, stacking two Diamond tennis bracelets of similar lengths is safer than wearing a long multi MOP motifs brackets with a metal bangle.

BTW - if you are interested in the sweet bracelet instead of the regular, Vintage multi- motifs bracelet, then it is not difficult to have the length shortened, because there is only one motif involved. Just try on a regular bracelet that fits your wrist for the hang length that you like, and then measure the length in cm or inches. You only need need to specify the measured length when ordering.

Lots of great advice here! I love the 5-motif bracelet but my vote would be for the Sweets earrings. I think they are so great for everyday wear based on pics shared here of TPF ladies who own them!

I tried the sweets before and while they are good for daily wear, I found it hard to place the posts / backings which are small, hence abit of hassle there.

Vintage Alhambra size is bigger, like the bigger one in one of your links. I feel this size works well for daily too and is easier to put on due to the omega / clip backs and prob more secure.

Is there really no way to get to a VCA boutique for u to try? That would be the best way to gauge if u are comfortable with the size.

EDIT: I see u are located in Germany, seems only one VCA boutique in Germany at Munich. Are u near there or perhaps any chance for u to be traveling to nearby countries with VCA?

thank you for your help!! after thinking some days about it and considering I decided to get a necklace instead. usually enjoy tiny diamond studs and I think I wouldn't like the sweet studs after some time that much anymore. also I have so many bracelets and not being able to try it on before made me decide to go for a necklace.
yes they have a vca boutique in Munich. I called them already but they don't have turquoise necklaces. i was told vca doesn't make any turquoise anymore at all.
maybe I'll have more luck on my US visit in ny? :smile:

I have/had both regular size, 3-prong diamond studs (about 5.5mm Diamond) and the sweet earrings. For the size, I think the Diamond and sweet motif are about the same size. I thought I saw a photo of you profile face showing the size of your earlobe. Perhaps you deleted the photo. If that person was you, then I think the sweet earrings will look great on you , because your earlobe is very small. The larger vintage motif earring is almost the size of a dime (US 10 cents). Although I much prefer it for myself due to its presence, I think it may be too big on you. Too bad you do not live close to VCA to try on.

As for security and ease of removal, I think the sweet earrings are more secure than the regular pushback of the 3-prong Diamond stud, because I have to squeeze hard on the side button of the back disc in order to release it from the post. Therefore, the back disc of sweet earring stays on more than the 3-prong Diamond stud post. However, due to the relative short post length of the sweet earrings, it is difficult to handle the sweet earrings when putting them on and removing them. I just have to be patient and get used to the maneuvering. That is all.

Honestly, between the sweet earring and the sweet bracelet, I would recommend the sweet earrings. 1. People notice your earrings first as they look at your face before they look at you wrist. 2. MOP Earrings are safer than MOP bracelet, because there is less potential danger of knocking against anything hard including other jewelry or watch. When stacking bracelets, it is better to wear all metal bracelets. If there must be diamonds or delicate stones, then make sure there is minimal chance of the delicate stones hitting hard objects. For example, stacking two Diamond tennis bracelets of similar lengths is safer than wearing a long multi MOP motifs brackets with a metal bangle.

BTW - if you are interested in the sweet bracelet instead of the regular, Vintage multi- motifs bracelet, then it is not difficult to have the length shortened, because there is only one motif involved. Just try on a regular bracelet that fits your wrist for the hang length that you like, and then measure the length in cm or inches. You only need need to specify the measured length when ordering.

thank you so much for all the information and great advice, that helped a lot! I was considering the sweet studs over the sweet bracelet of the reason you said - you see them first ;) though like I replied above I think for my first vca piece a necklace is best. I don't have the trouble with fitting it, and I can pick any I like before having to try it on before :smile: just that I like the turquoise necklaces best and I was told vca don't make them anymore :sad: will have a look at places on the second hand market, preferably shops like portero, yoogis closet etc.

Lots of great advice here! I love the 5-motif bracelet but my vote would be for the Sweets earrings. I think they are so great for everyday wear based on pics shared here of TPF ladies who own them!

thank you :smile: yeah I would have chosen them over the bracelet finally. though I will go for the necklace first, I think I will enjoy it most of all :smile:

thank you for your help!! after thinking some days about it and considering I decided to get a necklace instead. usually enjoy tiny diamond studs and I think I wouldn't like the sweet studs after some time that much anymore. also I have so many bracelets and not being able to try it on before made me decide to go for a necklace.
yes they have a vca boutique in Munich. I called them already but they don't have turquoise necklaces. i was told vca doesn't make any turquoise anymore at all.
maybe I'll have more luck on my US visit in ny? :smile:

U are welcome :flowers:

Necklace or are u referring to single motif pendant?
The single motif pendant is a good choice too.
When's your NY trip? Do note VCA typically has price increase in April and sometimes October and depends on location. So u may want to plan ahead for it.

Moreover, in your reply to Christiflora, u said u are looking for turquoise which may be harder to get. U probably want to start hunting / enquiring for one if u want to get one from the boutique before any price increase.

Do post your purchase when u get it :smile:

U are welcome :flowers:

Necklace or are u referring to single motif pendant?
The single motif pendant is a good choice too.
When's your NY trip? Do note VCA typically has price increase in April and sometimes October and depends on location. So u may want to plan ahead for it.

Moreover, in your reply to Christiflora, u said u are looking for turquoise which may be harder to get. U probably want to start hunting / enquiring for one if u want to get one from the boutique before any price increase.

Do post your purchase when u get it :smile:

i was thinking to hunt for the single motif necklace, to me it's subtle enough for an every day look, but still charming in its beauty :love:
my USA trip is in may. ya, i'm often so close to the price increase at chanel and cartier :pout: so that i run in the last minute and get what i wanted to for like 10% cheaper.. lol. anyway there seems to be no way to escape the vca price increase in april. though i'd just be happy to find this pendant at all, you know, since according to vca service its sold out in europe everywhere.

image.jpeg now that I'm a happy bracelet (turquoise butterfly/wg) and pendant (turquoise/yg) owner I'd love to get a pair of sweet earrings too. I would like them to suit my vca turquoise/yg pendant and get the turquoise/yellow gold sweet Alhambra flower studs.
do you have an advice how I can start my hunt since vca don't list them on their website anymore? :smile:
or do you think I should try to ask for a special order? i did this with the turquoise/yg pendant and was not successful at the German vca SA :/
there is probably no other way then checking the preowned jewelry places then right?
thank you so much for advice :smile:

Reactions: gagabag