Students to get paid to attend school

1. Here's the link:

Atlanta Journal Constitution

Fulton to pay students in after-school program
    Creekside High and Bear Creek Middle will pay students $8 an hour for "Learn & Earn" program

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 01/22/08

Fulton County schools want to pay students to stay in school a little longer.

Forty students from Creekside High and Bear Creek Middle schools in Fairburn will be the first to try the "Learn & Earn" program, where students will get paid to attend after-school tutoring programs.

Students will make approximately $8 an hour, and be eligible for bonuses if their grades improve, said Kirk Wilks, district spokesman. The initial students are in the eighth and 11th grades.

There will be a community kick-off Thursday at 3 p.m. in the Creekside High media center, 7405 Herndon Rd., Fairburn.

With the support of Fulton County Commissioner Robb Pitts, the pilot program will last 15 weeks and pay students for participation and performance. The object of the program is to determine if paying students to study will improve classroom attendance, grades and test scores, according to a news release from the district.

The initiative is funded by Charles Loudermilk, chairman and chief executive officer of Aaron Rents, through the Learning Makes A Difference Foundation. The foundation is a local non-profit designed to improve education through creative programs.

The students chosen for the program were picked by school staff, based on attendance, grades, test scores and free or reduced lunch status, the release said.
  2. Okayyyyy... this bothers me... it teaches children that it's only worth it if you get paid to learn... and there's no pride in working hard just for knowledge.

But, heck, whatever works to get them off the streets...
  3. Sounds like yet another nutty idea that schools come up with that won't work.
  4. ok, so I assume they picked failing students?

I remeber a time, when you only got awarded when you tried. This right here is bribery and I don't like it.

no kid likes school, but one of the causes for really disliking the work is because some kids don't understand what is being taught.

I remeber back in middle school, I will never forget. the Headmaster was walking around the school observing classes. and He once asked a student in my class if they understood what the teacher was teaching.

The boy respeonded "yes". So, my principal asked him to explain it. The boy could not. Our principal said that anytime you dont understand something, always raise your hand and ask for help!!

what will make this program a success? kids are being bribed to do good? I want every child to succeed like the next person, but this is a really desperate case here. my $0.02
  5. I'd love to get paid to go to school! :lol: Any Uni courses in that program?! heheh but seriously...this teaches kids that if they fail they will be rewarded by being paid to go to school. Any rewards for the kids that actually try/attend/ do well?

6. now thats what I call a left-hook to the jaw. good question!
  7. I don't like this. What about students who are doing well by themselves? If they invest time and effort outside of class for no other reason to have the knowledge and get a good grade, I don't see why students who aren't motivated to do that on their own should be paid to do so. That is telling society at a young age that if they slack off it is to their advantage because people are willing to bribe them to do average work that should be expected and commonplace. Not a good idea. :tdown:
  8. This sounds like school-based welfare of a sort. Pay the students who don't try, just like give money to the people who don't try to work and pump out kids. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm not talking about the people who really are trying to get work and are having a difficult time, I'm talking about the people who work the system.
  9. i dunno i dont really see anything wrong with this. its sort of a dose of reality. if your smart and work hard, youll make more money. parents have been doing this for ages.
  10. i don't like this idea of "bribery" either. when i was in school and did well, i asked my mother "why don't i get a present? my friends get present for doing well even when she got lower score than me..". my mother replied "we're paying for you to get the best education, so you should always try to do your best for your own future. our duties are to provide the best for you, so you can have a good future...not to give you present whenever you get a good grade." my parents do provide everything for me and always try to give me the best, they don't deprive me of anything. all they're telling me is that bribery is not the way to solve a problem.
  11. call me old fashioned but this doesn't make sense to me at all!!!!!!!
  12. Total bribery. And for students already attending school and trying hard? Where are their incentives then? Really unfair system.
  13. This is just seriusly uncool. What are we teaching the kids by doing this?

14. Boooo.:tdown:
  15. And the madness spreads to Baltimore:

Click On Detroit

Schools Paying Students To Boost Test Scores

Incentives Part Of $6M Plan To Boost Student Performance

BALTIMORE -- Students in Baltimore's high schools will get a cash incentive to boost their scores on the state graduation exams.

The school system plans to spend nearly $1 million on the incentives.

Students who have failed at least one exam under Maryland's High School Assessments will earn $25 for improving test performance by 5 percent. If they improve an additional 15 percent, they will get an additional $35. Another 20 percent improvement will earn an additional $50.

State school Superintendent Nancy Grasmick has approved the plan, with the provision that the school system closely track student results.

City schools CEO Dr. Andres Alonso said he supports the idea, but not many others are with him in that notion. Alonso said it will work for students who have failed the test at least once.

"To me, it's just common sense. I know there is a perspective that passing the test is their job anyway, but guess what? It hasn't worked," he said.

But Mayor Sheila Dixon said she is not happy, saying pay-to-pass is news to her.

"We are just sending mixed messages. It's like giving a child an allowance but they don't do anything. That's unheard of. I don't give allowances, but you still have responsibilities to do. I really have some mixed feelings on this," she said.

The Baltimore city teachers union and a student member of the school board both said they have concerns about the idea.

"What about our children who have passed this test on their own, who come to school every day? Those are the ones I think we ought to be rewarding financially," said teachers union President Marietta English.

The incentives are only part of a broader $6 million plan to boost student performance on the tests.

The plan includes the hiring of private companies for tutoring, after-school and Saturday classes, test preparation materials and teacher training. It will begin next month.