Students learn a lesson in tolerance on emotional day trip to Auschwitz

Last updated at 16:57pm on 13th October 2007

Politicians and police officers joined 120 students representing schools nationwide this week on a government-funded day trip to Auschwitz concentration camp in Poland.

The scheme, part of educational project organised by the Holocaust Educational Trust, aims to give two pupils and one teacher from every school across Britain the opportunity to visit the infamous Nazi death camp to help them understand the dangers of prejudice and racism.

The students, aged between 15 and 16, were joined by Labour MPs Joan Ryan and Karen Buck and 18 police officers from forces across the country.
    Student Jack Burstyn said: “The trip was personal for me because members of my family were killed at Auschwitz. Seeing the size of the camp and learning how the victims were just like us with normal lives and feels surreal.” PC Andy Whitehall from Staffordshire Police said: “The visit will strengthen my resolve to make sure such events are never repeated and to confront racism and intolerance wherever I encounter it.”

Karen Pollock from the Holocaust Educational Trust said: "With the support of Treasury funding we will be expanding the programme next year to enable many more students to experience this life-changing project." An estimated one and a half million people were killed by the Nazis at Auschwitz, about 90 percent of them Jews from almost every country across Europe.

Ausch2_468x311.jpg Ausch1_468x311.jpg
  2. When I was in high school, for Holocaust Rememberance Day, we watched Schindler's List.

Because it's an R-rated movie, the school sent home permission slips.

It was sad, and it was powerful. I remember crying through the majority of the movie, but I don't regret seeing that movie at all.

I think students should do something that educates them about the Holocaust. Granted, it's not plausible to send everyone to Auschwitz, but they could read The Diary of Anne Frank or watch Schindler's List or go to the Holocaust Memorial in Washington D.C..
  3. I couldn't have said it better, grasshopper. :tup:
  4. Back on topic though, I've been to the Dachau camp. The most disturbing thing is that the camp is basically in the TOWN. Houses were nearby when they were killing people there. PEOPLE SAW THIS HAPPENING from their front windows and yet did nothing to stop it. That is pretty horrifying.

Warning the link below has graphic content/photos:
  5. LOL, she's not the devil, she's an entertainer.

But you know it's a slow day when they are running news stories about anti-semitic neo-conservatives! Those terms are practically antithetical.
  6. That is how it is in most situations. Other people don't want to get involved for two main reasons:
    1. They just don't care
    2. They don't want to end up in the same position
  7. It is amazing to me that people like Don Imus get fired for this kind of behavior but Coulter gets away with it. Boggles one's mind :shrugs:
  8. I also don't believe that Imus should have been fired, but to compare the comments is a little ridiculous. I don't believe in God, but Ann is a Christian. Christians (except the laissez-faire Unitarians) generally believe in universal salvation, so I don't think it's unusual for them to believe that people of the Jewish faith can reach "perfection" by conversion.

It's just the nature of believing in universal salvation. As a non-believer, I don't suscribe to it, and I'm turned off by it, but I wouldn't brand it hate.
  9. I'm Christian, and I don't believe in universal salvation.

10. I dunno about that- I was raised a Catholic and I don't ever recall any discussion about what Jews should or shouldn't do with regard to their religion. Coulter has a history of offensive comments and that is what I base my comments on- not just this one but her whole "library" of them. She is coming across more and more as just a whackjob and to make that comment KNOWING the host of that show (Donny Deutsch) is Jewish is just off the wall to me. Since I dislike A.C. so intensely I probably should not try to argue this just because it won't be rational :p

Anyway... (sorry Caitlin!)

11. That's why I said, generally, Caitlin, but a cursory read of the New Testament pretty clearly speaks to the concept of universal salvation. Jesus is said to have have spoken of the universality of his message and Paul emphazised the egalitarianism of Christianity. After all..."There is neither Jew nor Greek..."

If you believe that salvation is through Jesus Christ (what Christianity basically is), then naturally, people who don't believe in Christ are not saved.

Well, you called her anti-semetic, so I thought you were basing your comments on this article/instance.
  12. I don't think that people who don't believe in Jesus Christ are going to Hell.

One, I don't say people are going to Hell, because that's not for me to decide.

Two, you can't say they're going to Hell because maybe their religion doesn't believe in a Hell. So if they follow their religion they'll be saved in their own religion.
  13. AGAIN....