Strangers who rag on your kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the support everyone; I just really needed to vent yesterday after I got home. :hysteric:We take such pains to be sure he's well-behaved in public that it's frustrating to be put in such a no-win situation. I realize it wouldn't have done any good to tell her off because people like that don't get it, but sometimes I wish I had some screenwriters in my head feeding me the clever comebacks when I need them!

i'd say something to my son like "sometimes grown ups need to work on their manners, too"

loud enough for her to hear it

i sympathize, my parents do not like children, if my kids even get up from a table before a meal is over, my father starts to hyperventilate..or act like he is.

my dad's favorite phrase, "children should be seen and not heard"

sadly, i think there are a lot of people who don't prefer the company of children.

she is just an old goat.

I admit that I can get irritated with kids who are misbehaving and being unruly in public, but I am very sorry to hear what that lady said to you about your son...it is obvious that he was being very well-mannered.

Her comments was completely uncalled for :sad:

Some people are just mean. I think you handled it in a very admirable way.

I, on the other hand am mean and immature. So yesterday when a woman was rude to me because I didn't get the buggy out of her way quickly enough,(I was really trying - it was a tiny aisle and people in front and behind me) I ran over her foot to move it a bit faster.

wow, that was so uncalled for. I am sorry about your experience. the other day a lady complained that I was blocking the aisle with my push chair. ehm, i stood there for like a sec and she had space to pass I was just in front of the product she wanted. what if it had been a trolley?? I just ignored the miserable cow. but eliselady: now I know a better way :roflmfao:

a child is a child - sometimes they complain, they whine and they cry. the world will get over it. there is a difference of course if the child is just doing whatever and the parent doesn't even care. but my son cries sometimes and I can't always get him to be quiet within the second.... and I am so tired of the looks my way. how about all the noisy cell phones in restaurants and people screaming on the phone in public places??? I find that annoying but I have never told anyone to do something about it. I really do not care about what they had for dinner or who they did it with last night...

anyway, the day that all grown ups behave appropriately in public (hahaha) i will leave my baby at home bec he 'might' cry. :smile:

It was wrong of her to react that way...but me, I would shrug it off. I am sure if she was in crutches, she was not having the best day. For all you know 10 minutes ago, a group of unruly kids knocked her crutches over for the 5th time that day, and unluck you hit her and her breaking point, kwim? Why let her, or anyone get a reaction from you...you know the true situation, smile and move on :smile:

I can totally relate. We try very hard to keep our outings as smooth as possible but some of the time, one just has to go with the flow. Our ds is autistic and he will run headlong into traffic without realizing if we don't have a harness and tether on him. He will also have meltdowns if he's not prepared for new settings or situations.

I get snide comments if my son doesn't understand he has to wait his turn at the slide or if he starts stimming (repetitive motions). Once, he scooted in front of a girl with his hand moving her aside -- not roughly -- but he did want to go down the slide. The girl's mom was a bit sarcastic saying "great, he shoves her off to the side"! I just turned to her and said "I'm sorry! I really am but you have to understand, my son is autistic!" She was caught off guard and probably realized she shouldn't be judging other people's children as misbehaving when there a more pressing reality.

I have been investing all my time in my kids and to have a stranger judge us is going to annoy the hell out of me. I no longer worry about appearances and will announce it to people's faces, especially those that think they know parenting. I want to make these people AWARE of children with disabilities. Another time, I had a man off the street tell me my son should not be in the jogger stroller. He said if his own kid was still in a stroller at that age... then he made the gesture of backhanding an imaginary child very hard :wtf::wtf: ... I didn't get mad, but I did explain my child to him. He changed his tune, I certainly didn't want to hear about violent punishments!

The fact of the matter is, we're parenting just fine, we're parenting on a more intense level, there's no such thing as taking long breaks let alone leaving our disabled children alone for even a minute. It is just not done, unless we had the resources to have a full time aide with us 24/7 who KNOWS how to care for a child with disabilities. sorry this was soooo long!!

i'm sorry to hear this :sad: what a mean grouch.
maybe she was frustrated trying on shoes and none looked pretty on her feet since she was on crutches. no excuse to act the way she did though.
hugs to you and son!

Status
Not open for further replies.