Stories of SHOPPING ADDICTION

1. hi there ladies.

i made this thread in part because i see a bit of shopping addiction in myself, and also because im in the preliminary stages of researching it for a piece im thinking about writing.

we all joke, haha im SO addicted to shopping after we've blown 800$ for the 5th weekend straight at Nordstroms, or when we just CAN NOT get through a day off without buying SOMETHING....but some of us can probably agree that it can be a serious thing! huge debt, our SO's getting mad, our parents disapproving, etc.

so, my questions for you are-

1. would you classify yourself as a shopping addict? why? (what is your specific criteria)

2. do you think constant shopping is simply that, or do you use to it to cope with something stressful/bad in your life?

3. what are some of the negative consequences that constant shopping has caused in your life?

4. what is your favorite store/mall/type of shopping trip where you spend the most money?

5. and lastly, do you have a funny story, addage, anecdote, anything, that your 'shopping addict' experience has provided you with?

feel free to answer one or all, or comment or anything! any input is so incredibly appreciated, let me tell you! my own experience can only take me so far!

thank you!!:heart::heart:

2. Here are my answers:

1. would you classify yourself as a shopping addict? why? (what is your specific criteria)

Yes! Because if I don't buy something I really, really wanted, I can't sleep and I can't get it out of my mind.. Like for months already, I've been wanting to buy a New Chanel Handbag.. But I can't, coz' I'm broke and I need to save up for our coming baby.. So I can't keep Chanel Handbags out of my mind!! Gosh... It's been 2 months now!!!

2. do you think constant shopping is simply that, or do you use to it to cope with something stressful/bad in your life?

YES! It's my usual remedy when it comes to love problems. Proven, when my DH and I are still dating, we used to fight very much. And I used to shop very much too! But more on clothes since I don't cash out a lot of money when it comes to clothes. But since we don't really fight that much lately, I don't shop at all!

3. what are some of the negative consequences that constant shopping has caused in your life?

Arghhh.. Me and my DH broke up once when we were still dating.. With my impulsiveness and with myself, out of my mind, I borrowed HKD 35000 (bank)! Upto now, I still can't think what I bought with that money.. TSK!

4. what is your favorite store/mall/type of shopping trip where you spend the most money?

Pacific Place, Admiralty, Hong Kong

5. and lastly, do you have a funny story, addage, anecdote, anything, that your 'shopping addict' experience has provided you with?

Can't think of something right now!

3. 1. would you classify yourself as a shopping addict? I used to be in college because whenever my sorority sisters and I got bored, we fell to shopping the same way some people end up smoking cigarettes when they're bored! Even then, I don't think I shopped any more than the regular fashion-obsessed college girl. I definitely do NOT have the time to be a shopping addict these days.

2. do you think constant shopping is simply that, or do you use to it to cope with something stressful/bad in your life? I usually shop most when I'm feeling insecure with myself or my body -- I begin to be deluded into thinking I can buy some piece of a lifestyle. This is the biggest trap and totally untrue.

3. what are some of the negative consequences that constant shopping has caused in your life? Nothing too bad!

4. what is your favorite store/mall/type of shopping trip where you spend the most money? While I spend a lot of handbags, I still love clothes more. I love the boutiques in Wicker Park and Michigan Ave.

4. 1. would you classify yourself as a shopping addict?
    Most definitly! If i dont go shopping for a couple of days I get very agitated, like I may be missing out on new stock that may have come into my favourite shops! I dont have to go physically shopping, I'm also addicted to shopping online, which has the advantage of keeping it a secret from my fiancee, he's out of the house when the post comes!
    I think its simply that, but I do tend to spend more money if I'm depressed or stressed! I tend to buy for the sake of it when i'm stressed, whereas if i'm feeling down, i'll buy something I've wanted for a long time, or really love to cheer myself up!
    Nothing too negative, the occassional argument with my fiancee. He makes me feel guilty because he doesnt shout at me, he gives me the silent treatment as if he's disapointed in me!
    Anywhere!! I love buying loads in Topshop, but also love a single purchase in Louis Vuitton! If I had to choose it would probably be Selfridges.

5. thank you ladies for your responses! they're most helpful! and its so interesting to see even amongst just a handful of people the different kind of opinions and habits concerning shopping!!

thanks again! and if you think of anything else you'd like to add, feel free :love:

6. hi there ladies.

i made this thread in part because i see a bit of shopping addiction in myself, and also because im in the preliminary stages of researching it for a piece im thinking about writing.

we all joke, haha im SO addicted to shopping after we've blown 800$ for the 5th weekend straight at Nordstroms, or when we just CAN NOT get through a day off without buying SOMETHING....but some of us can probably agree that it can be a serious thing! huge debt, our SO's getting mad, our parents disapproving, etc.

so, my questions for you are-

When it comes to handbags, maybe I am an addict. I keep buying them. And I have nowhere to put them.

I tend to shop the same no matter my stress level. I've noticed that the happier I am the more I buy. Not vice versa.

Spending hundreds of dollars per month on stuff I absolutely DO NOT NEED. That money could be doing so much more, and it's a hard habit to break.

I probably spend a lot of my money at Dillards and Macy's. We don't have any high-end stores in town, but my boyfriend got me a Saks card so I anticipate doing damage online soon.

If I see something that I like at a decent price, I tend to buy in bulk. If I like the cut of one shirt, I might buy it in every color available. I've seen a handbag that I really liked and bought multiples of it "just in case." My mom always tells me that I'm like my dad, who's another shopaholic, and not just when it comes to buying clothing. She told me once that he bought leather jackets in every color the store had. Or he'll buy ten cases of soda and keep them in the trunk of his car. It's weird, because I find myself doing the same thing. For awhile I had three 12 packs of Pepsi in my trunk. Almost forgot they were there, and when I remembered I just didn't care. My BF looked in my trunk and was like, WTF? Then one day he had to replace the handles on my dad's car. We opened his trunk, and there it was: about five cases of soda. My BF really couldn't say anything, just stare in disbelief.

feel free to answer one or all, or comment or anything! any input is so incredibly appreciated, let me tell you! my own experience can only take me so far!

thank you!!:heart::heart:

7. 1. would you classify yourself as a shopping addict? why? (what is your specific criteria)

Yes, I definitely was, and to an extent I still am, but I'm better at quizzing myself and trying to discover my intentions behind buying something. If I really want something and can justify the expense, including handbags, then I save and buy it. But I'm surrounded by stuff, have pared down so much and am satisfied with what I have. Still, it can be tricky.

I used it to cope with something stressful/bad. When I was working full time and going to school full time, it was so easy to stop off in a store on the way home from work, presumably for an errand, and wind up spending more than I had planned. And the money adds up quickly!

Stress, tension, worry, guilt.

I've broken myself of the store habit, but Amazon.com and drugstores or Target-type stores can really draw me in. Online shopping is useful, but it's easy to abuse. Sales really used to hit me, too, where I used to buy stuff I didn't need and now I ask if I would pay full price for an item. If not, I put it back and it works.

No, sadly, but I do feel so much better ever since I put a ban on unnecessary spending. I'm sticking with it, realizing what was fueling the need to spend and even though I didn't spend lots, it was more than my comfort level and budget could handle. I was raised in a frugal household and I'm now returning to those ways.

8. 1. would you classify yourself as a shopping addict? why? (what is your specific criteria)

I would say YES because I buy stuff that I don't need. ie. a 24th pair of designer jeans etc.

I think I definitely shop more when there is something going on in my life, online and in-store. :wtf:

Well... I have some credit card debt. thats not good!

I spend a lot of money online. Also if there is sale or I go to an outlet store. I just can't resist a 'bargain'