"stop taking BC...just get your tubes tied!"

1. ....this was some advice from a close GF a couple days ago in a heart to heart about my new relationship and where it's going.

I went back on BC in November after many, many years off. I'm sure I've been off it longer than some of you tpf'ers have been alive, LMAO!

What I love? shorter, lighter periods. OMG I have always had a really heavy flow so this is wonderful. What I don't love? Weight gain. Boobies are bigger but I'm fighting more poundage but I am taking vitamin B as I hear that helps.

I'm 40 (41 this May) and will not be having kids. A GF then just said why don't you just get your tubes tied...it's not good to be on the Pill! Honestly I just don't see the reasoning there, unless getting tubes tied is not a big surgical ordeal? Guess I need to talk to my doctor. And ummmm, most of you probably don't know this but I had an unplanned pregnancy in college and had it terminated about 6 weeks later. I don't regret my decision, but I guess I just resist the thought of getting anything else "done" down there, KWIM? :confused1:. Again, more to discuss with my doctor (she knows all of this).

If anyone has any input on getting tubes tied and what's involved please let me know (or PM me). TIA! :flowers:

2. If you don't want surgery why don't you get an IUD? It will protect you for 5 years and you don't have to worry about taking a pill every day. Also lightens (and sometimes stops) your periods.

I personally wouldn't want to do any surgery.

3. I heard the IUD has the same side effects, weight gain, moodiness etc... and it is a birth control still

4. There has been positive studies where the pill helps prevent ovarian cancer for many years even after stopping it. Ovarian cancer is almost never detected in time.
    Getting your tubes tied is pretty radical for someone whose never had children.
    Maybe try other pill formulas to prevent weight gain.
    There are risks with the pill after 35 if you are overweight & smoke.
    I had ademosis & was on the pill for 21 years. I never had any problems.
    I had a partial (uterious only) hysterectomy in 2000. Best thing I ever did.

5. The older you are, the more dangerous any oral birth control pills can be...especially if you smoke (not sure if you do or not). Getting your tubes tied is probably the safest way to prevent pregnancy. I had a hysterectomy over 12 years ago...the absolute best thing I ever did in my life after I had my son. Good luck with your decision. :tup:

6. I had my tubes tied, after my 3rd child in 3 1/2 years, when I was 32. It was not fun and hurt like hell! Let's just say giving birth didn't hurt that much. If I had to do over again I would have had my dh have it done on him!

My period are really messed up (don't know if it's my age 40 or from having my tubes tied) and my GYN wanted to put me on the pill to fix them!! Why did I get my tubes tied?? So I wouldn't have to take the pill.

Do what is best for you but if it was me I would stay on the pill if you are not having any problems with taking them. The weight does come off, it just takes time.

7. There are pills that are less likely to cause weight gain, and you might want to talk to your dr. about other pill options. The Mirena IUD is the lowest-dose of any method that uses hormones, and generally speaking, a blood test cannot detect the hormones from it. In other words, the hormones from Mirena work locally and not systemically, so they should not cause weight gain or mood swings for most people. A ParaGard IUD is copper and uses no hormones at all. It is good for 10 years and is as effective as the pill (sometimes moreso because there is no user error).

I would recommend against getting your tubes tied. It is a surgical procedure and there are risks. Additionally, some people experience issues after a tubal ligation - hot flashes, mood swings, etc. Some dr.s don't acknowledge that such a thing exists; others speculate that the fallopian tubes contain hormone receptors that can sometimes be damaged during the procedure and induce menopausal-like symptoms. Either way, I think you have better options and I would not get a tubal ligation if I were you.

8. Just go tell him to get *snipped*. Done and done. :tup:

9. ...thank you all for your info and your personal stories...oh just for the record I am a non-smoker. I may talk to my doctor about an IUD option instead...I kinda shied away from it b/c another good GF (not the one who told me to get my tubes tied) had one and a real cramping problem so that freaked me out.

I know everyone's situation is unique. More homework to do here too. And yes, Christine, I like the idea of him getting snipped, LOL. He already has 2 DD's and doesn't want more.

10. I have a copper IUD(lasts for 10 years) and it hurt like hell when my doc put in it. For a few days after I had horrible cramps. Since then every once in awhile I get mild cramping. But I love my IUD.

My sil had her tubes tied a few years ago. The surgery went smoothly for her and she recovered well. Whatever you decide I wish you the best!

11. I have a Mirena IUD, the one that has hormones and lasts five years. I've had it slightly over five years and the hormones seem to have worn off and now I get periods again and am having some cramps too. For the longest time I had NO periods and rarely a cramp at all. Now the cramps get pretty bad.

I considered getting my tubes tied. My doctor even suggested it. Part of what keeps me from it is I have heard that some people have hormonal issues after having it done. My doctor says that's a myth, but it still scares me enough to stay away from it. I also have PCOS and so I kind of want to leave well enough alone since the IUD is awesome. The only problem is now I need it replaced and it hurt like bloody hell going in so I am putting off replacing it.

The hormones in it don't affect me like pill hormones do. They are a very small amount and go directly into the uterus, so it's different. I cannot take ANY type of birth control pill. They all give me migraines. I don't have migraines with the Mirena. It's the most amazing thing ever!

12. I just read this after I made my post and you said everything I wanted to say but explained it better!

13. pill are evil....any kind...
    I am having so MANY problems after stopping the pill for six years....
    I will never put a BCP in my mouth AGAIN...
    http://www.steadyhealth.com/Birth_Control__Contraception-f100.html

please goto this website and check out what other woman are dealing with....
    this has been a great place for me to research so much..

I hope this link is ok- its not a competitor... just a general health website..

14. I got my tubes tied when I was 35. I'm 52 now. I've never had kids and my DH and I have been together since I was 19 (married him at 24).

I haven't regretted it, as I've known my whole life that having children wasn't for me, although I think it's wonderful that other people do.

I've never experienced any problems with the procedure and actually never even think about it.

Like you said, though, everyone's situation is different.

15. There is a new procedure that I have been looking into. It's called Essure. They place little inserts into the Fallopian tubes which then develop scar tissue around the insert, closing off the tube. Apparently, this can be done in-office with no general anesthesia (no surgery) in about 30-40 minutes. You have to use an alternative method of birth control for three months and then have a check up to be sure the tubes are fully blocked, and then you're good to go! You might ask your doc about these.