Stonewash leathers - High Maintenance??

I've been using my stonewash espresso MAM non-stop for 3 weeks now (putting it inside a Le Pliage tote when it's been raining heavily) and it's breaking in really nicely! Since the stonewash espresso is such a dark color to begin with, what little darkening there is on the corners and handles is barely noticeable. I haven't noticed scratches on the leather but my nails are really short. Right now, I consider this a fairly low maintenance bag (I haven't put any protectant on it).

I can't wait for the stonewash tobacco mam to be done! I have a feeling the stonewash tobacco will show aging and patina more than the espresso but I think that's one of the really nice characteristics of the stonewash leathers.

I used my blue stonewashed nikki a few times untreated and it made me nervous. It got a few spots on it. I decided I don't want a bag I have to worry that much about. I sent it into LMB (I am scared to treat my bags myself). Barbara got the spots out and protected it. It got slightly darker but still looks and feels awesome and I don't worry about using it at all. I love this leather, but it needs treated in my opinion. I only treat specific leathers. I have a black stonewashed mam...I did not treat. I don't feel like this one needs treated..I guess because it is darker leather.

^ ITA with what you said about SW Blue.

I own a Stonewash Blue MAM and you need to be very careful on what you use to treat it. In fact, I think you should send Stonewash bags to a professional like LMB for cleaning/spa treatment since it's pretty fussy/sensitive to products.

From my experience, the AG cleaners are too harsh for SW Blue bags and I wouldn't recommend using any of the AG products for it with the possible exception of the spray.

I used my SW Blue MAM without any treatment and I got some marks on it. When I tried to clean/condition my MAM with AG, I made the marks worse and the leather got pretty dark. I know that the Stonewash Blue leather is supposed to get darker and oilier as time goes on but AG definitely made the marks worse. I sent my MAM to LMB for cleaning and Barbara & Gary made it look like new again.

That said, I don't think I'm going to treat my incoming Stonewash Black Nikki but mostly because it's a dark leather and I'm curious to see it age naturally.

Barbara also gave me these LMB product recommendations for my SW Blue MAM. I think that these products will work well for all Stonewash bags though:

You will have to be careful, as this leather scratches very easily - it is the nature of the leather - but if you are particular - it will drive you crazy.

Silk serum is great to condition the leather and Pro-treatment to protect it and diminish the scratching to some degree.

this is probably a stupid question, but anyway - i was thinking about sending my tobacco to lmb to get protected. if i do this, i assume it will still darken as it ages? i think it'll be cool to see how it ages. i mostly just want to make sure it's protected against rain, etc.

Keep in mind that some of LMB's products have been too harsh for more touchy leathers. The For Handles Only darkened someone's sw bag, and that's just one example. I would probably stick with apple conditioner (not cleaner) since it's been proven to be gentle enough. Either way, I believe it's going to darken anyway, it's just a matter of how much.

To be fair, you should always test a product before you use them on your bags. Ever since my little boo-boo with my SW Blue MAM, I'm careful with all products regardless of the reviews.

this is probably a stupid question, but anyway - i was thinking about sending my tobacco to lmb to get protected. if i do this, i assume it will still darken as it ages? i think it'll be cool to see how it ages. i mostly just want to make sure it's protected against rain, etc.

I totally agree! It would make the bag so much more a living thing. Sadly for me, though, my one and only SW is black. :amuse:

^^ I have Black SW too and gently used Apple Conditioner with no issues.
I'm not sure about spraying either..even though I would like to for the rain we have here.