Stomach pain - advice?

1. Hello all,

I woke up this morning feeling really nauseus and my whole body hurt, like right before you are about to get sick. I spent a lot of time with my mom over the weekend, who has a pretty bad cold right now. I think the combination of that plus not getting enough sleep and being really tired is why I feel so sick right now.

I'm starting to get a little concerned because I keep getting these sharp pains in my stomach and my back has been really hurting for the past few hours. It's 5pm here and I haven't eaten anything all day, only been drinking some Gatorade.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I'm not sure if I need to see my doctor or if it's something that can be cured with regular medicine. Any advice/suggestions would be great. I've been lying in bed all day with the laptop feeling miserable :sad:

2. I'm no doctor...but since you haven't eaten all day, I would try to eat a piece of bread or maybe some crackers.

Where exactly is the pain located?

3. Where is the pain exactly? If around the belly button or right quadrant, it could be an appendix flare. But there is other symptoms too, so do NOT freak out. Constipation can also cause such pain.

I agree, try and eat a few crackers. Sounds like you may have contracted the flu from Mom. Lots of liquids, take asparin, and REST.

ETA: I'm no doctor either, but I raised two kids and DH for the last 20 years, and they are all alive still.

4. Thanks for the advice, omgsweet and Speedy. The sharp pains are mostly happening at the top of my stomach, but it hurts pretty much all over, so it's hard to tell. I already got my appendix removed a few years ago, so it can't be that. I'm more concerned with the back pain. I'm going to try and eat something in a bit. Thanks again!

5. Sounds like a stomach flu to me.

If it is, I hope its just the 24 hour kind.

Have some soup!! Hugs to you!!!

6. Thanks omgsweet, I hope it doesn't last very long either. BTW, your daughter is adorable!

Thank you. That was the first laugh I had all day :flowers:

7. Aww, you are welcome hon...

You know, the flu will make you hurt ALL over. So back and belly pain could be part of it.

Soup. Fluids. REST!

8. awww that sucks :crybaby:I know when I have kidney stones or a kidney infection my back hurts... and I get pretty nauseous. I hope you feel better soon!

9. Thank you! :love:

10. It could also be indigestion, the pain is at the top of the stomach, usually on the right side.

11. I just came back in to mention this Devoted, you beat me to it. :p

I'm voting for stomach flu. With a possible secondary kidney infection.

I had a nasty, NASTY kidney infection in April of 1982... I mean, bending over crippling pain type infection. Also found out I was pregnant with my son at the same time.

12. The stomach and back pain got so bad in the middle of the night that I actually ended up going to the ER around 4am this morning. They gave me an IV, some painkillers and anti nausea medicine. I finally fell asleep in there for about an hour and felt much better after waking up. The doctor said all of my blood work came back normal and that it is just a bad virus/stomach flu. He prescribed some medicine and put me on a liquid diet for the next 24 hours.

I'm glad it isn't anything more serious because I was starting to get really worried. Thanks for all your suggestions, ladies. I don't know what I would do without this forum :tup:

The BF has been so sweet about everything...he's picking up my prescription right now and is going to make me homemade chicken broth :love:

13. I am so glad it's nothing serious!! I hope you are feeling much much better and that this sickness will pass very quickly!!

14. Severe stomach and back pain could also be a symptom of kidney stones. My fiance's mom said the pain was so intense that it rivaled the pain she felt when she gave birth. I'm glad you're feeling better and the results were normal.

15. Gosh! I'm sorry you ended up at the ER! I hope you are feeling better now. Thank God its nothing serious!

:flowers: