Steven Spielberg's SMASH - Monday Nights on NBC

I love the show but the storylines and character development is all over the place. I thought it was very odd the way they portrayed julias son as this rebellious pot smoking teen who cries in his mothers arms. It just seemed so random and out of place. Then there's Karen who's credited as one of the main characters yet she doesn't really have a storyline and seems like more of an after thought. The concept of the show is good, the actors are good but i think the writing needs a little work.

Has anyone else noticed how bad the cuts are before commercial breaks? Sometimes it feels like they're in the middle of a scene or even a sentence, and then all of a sudden ----- CUT! Commercial! -- they seem to have the same problem flowing from one scene to another. I think they need a new editing director, or something. Monday, Jack & Tom were in the middle of a heated argument at the warehouse, when all of a sudden, there was a commercial. I was like, wait? Is that it? Was that the end of the scene? There was another scene with Katen and her BF that was just as bad.

Monday nights show was kinda all over the place for me - there were no Marilyn scenes, since they're waiting on the investors, so it was the perfect chance to give viewers a little bit of backstory and history, and allow the charatcers to take center stage, but instead there just seemed to be these random storylines w/o explanation - Eileen's daughter coming home and her sudden dislike and contempt towards her father, the assistants bedroom scene with we don't know who she is yet, the argument between Jack & Tom which seemed to end as abruptly as it started, and Karens BF's investigation of a co-worker, which went no where.

They really need to give us some backstory and develop these charatcers more - there was so much going on Mon night, yet nothing really seemed to happen!

Has anyone else noticed how bad the cuts are before commercial breaks?

i noticed this on another show... but now i can't remember what it was. but yea, the breaks were weird, as if they filmed the episode to be commercial break free. oh i think it was madmen. but now i'll be watching for it on this show too lol
this was the first week i didn't watch it as it aired

Has anyone else noticed how bad the cuts are before commercial breaks? Sometimes it feels like they're in the middle of a scene or even a sentence, and then all of a sudden ----- CUT! Commercial! -- they seem to have the same problem flowing from one scene to another. I think they need a new editing director, or something. Monday, Jack & Tom were in the middle of a heated argument at the warehouse, when all of a sudden, there was a commercial. I was like, wait? Is that it? Was that the end of the scene? There was another scene with Katen and her BF that was just as bad.

Monday nights show was kinda all over the place for me - there were no Marilyn scenes, since they're waiting on the investors, so it was the perfect chance to give viewers a little bit of backstory and history, and allow the charatcers to take center stage, but instead there just seemed to be these random storylines w/o explanation - Eileen's daughter coming home and her sudden dislike and contempt towards her father, the assistants bedroom scene with we don't know who she is yet, the argument between Jack & Tom which seemed to end as abruptly as it started, and Karens BF's investigation of a co-worker, which went no where.

They really need to give us some backstory and develop these charatcers more - there was so much going on Mon night, yet nothing really seemed to happen!

I totally agree!!!

i also thought it was really weird how the assistant just suddenly worked for that one lady (having a brain fart on names right now). apparently he wasn't missing from his assistant duties with the other guy?

I don't understand the 'assistant' storyline. Almost every single one of his scenes is of him eavesdropping on someone else's conversation, literally almost every scene. What's his deal? the writers really need to start moving things along and explain things more clearly

^^ ugh i know, the assistant is just too everywhere, at first i think julia's "hatred' to him kinda unreasonable cause she just decide to hate him too early, now it's impossible for anyone to like him honestly.
and i am sooo not a fans of karen and bf characters, i don't buy their relationship, and i'm tired of the "sweet naive girl trying not too hard but apparently supposed to be sexy in a way" attitude

i'm curious about the star cast for marilyn though

Just catching up on this weeks episode - I loved that Bollywood number and how incorporated almost every member of the cast (including the actors that don't sing and/or dance!). How fun! And who would have thought that Dev could sing & dance!