Stay-at-home Mother's Work Is Worth $138,095 A Year

A woman walks her child past a fountain in an undated file photo. If the typical stay-at-home mother in the United States were paid for her work as a housekeeper, cook and psychologist among other roles, she would earn $138,095 a year, according to research released on Wednesday. (Ali Jarekji/Reuters)

Wed May 2, 3:00 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - If the typical stay-at-home mother in the United States were paid for her work as a housekeeper, cook and psychologist among other roles, she would earn $138,095 a year, according to research released on Wednesday.

This reflected a 3 percent raise from last year's $134,121, according to Inc, Waltham, Massachusetts-based compensation experts.
    The 10 jobs listed as comprising a mother's work were housekeeper, cook, day care center teacher, laundry machine operator, van driver, facilities manager, janitor, computer operator, chief executive officer and psychologist, it said.

The typical mother puts in a 92-hour work week, it said, working 40 hours at base pay and 52 hours overtime.
    A mother who holds full-time job outside the home would earn an additional $85,939 for the work she does at home,
    Last year she would have earned $85,876 for her at-home work, it said. compiled the online responses of 26,000 stay-at-home mothers and 14,000 mothers who also work outside the home.

(Reporting by Ellen Wulfhorst)
  2. Yeah I asked my SO if he wants my resume lol

oh if it were true...
  3. Lol I find these type of researches so funny
  4. this country would be overpopulated if that were true lol
  5. :yes: I have copied and sent to DH. He already knows the value of what I do - but it's helpful to see it in print every now and then. :graucho:
  6. I made sure to leave dh with the kids (all three of them) for two days and one night pretty early on, and now there is no misunderstanding about how much I do! And it only gets more hectic as they get older.

While research like this can be entertaining and doesn't really change much, it is nice to occasionally hear validation like that for what we do!
  7. I don't think you can place a numerical value on what mothers do--Stay at Home mother or Working mother.
  8. seems every year a similar article surfaces, no one should be paid for taking care of their own kids, its simple if one doesn't want to care for them don't have them :shrugs: you can't put a price on something that's a responsibilty.
  9. I agree.
    Also, how to the come up with 92 hours a week? That's 13 hours per day. Do these women have no husband or partner around to help out?

Oh, and does this mean I should be getting paid a psychologist's salary cause I post advice here?? Vlad, Megs...where's my check??!!
  10. ^^ I dont' think that's the point. No one is campaigning for SAHM's to get paid. After all - where would this cheque come from? The gov't? HA!

It's just that it's easier to understand the importance of something once a monetary value is attached to it. You know.

Besides, I prefer to be paid in handbags. Yeah, Blood Diamond cured me of diamonds. I am all about the BAG.

And yes, this article surfaces every year right before Mother's Day... Get it?

11. I agree. Although I do appreciate the article as many people think SAHM are just lazy.
  12. I wonder for those SAHM's who have school aged kids, what is done all day while the kids are in school? I remember when I was home with my first daughter when she was a baby I would watch soaps and nap after breakfast and cleaning the kitchen. I mean unless there is a gigantic home to clean seems like a lot of free time is there :shrugs:
  13. Oohhhh, if this were only true!
  14. i'd think it would depend on the quality of the parenting.
  15. I don't think stay at home moms are lazy. I was a stay at home dad for a few months so I know it's not a cake walk, but...I'd still rather stay at home with my son than work. You don't have to deal with a commute, or crappy bosses/co-workers. You're usually in the comfort of your own home. You can nap, watch TV in between chores. You can socialize with other parents at the park. I've been there and done it, so I know it's not THAT hard. Some days are fun and games, some days are filled with crap...sometimes literally. I don't think I should have gotten anywhere near 138K a year to do that, but whatevs.

Now, when the kids go to school...I don't have much sympathy. There's only so much you can clean and cook.