Starting from scratch- how to build my wardrobe!

Jan 22, 2008
Hello all,

I recently decided that I'd like to revamp my look before starting grad school. I am starting from scratch except for a few pairs of nice jeans that luckily still fit me(Citizens). I also just bought a nice suit from J.Crew for any interviews or networking opportunities that arise. I'm looking for mostly summer and fall pieces and pieces that can transition me between the two seasons (I'll worry about winter in a few months!).

I have read many of the old threads on starting a wardrobe that suggest a black skirt, black pants, a black dress, a trench, etc., and while I do think these are great pieces- and I have most of them- I never end up wearing this kind of stuff because it is too dressy for my lifestyle.

My old wardrobe was mostly J.Crew, chino shorts and v-neck tees in a multitude of colors, which made me look young and frumpy. Some of my favorite outfits consist of skinny jeans, riding boots, and a big cable knit sweater... or skinny jeans, black boots and a ruffly top with a black blazer over top. I have a few pieces from anthropologie but most of their stuff looks crazy on me.

I really just want to build a casual wardrobe that looks polished. Jeans are going to be the staple as I'm still in school but I'm willing to add in more sophisticated bottom options like skirts and other pants as well.

Where do I start?

Thanks!

You've got a good start with the work attire. In addition to a black suit, Grey is a nice color give you more options to play with colored tops.

For jeans, I think everyone needs a nice trouser fit (they look great on just about all body types). If you can get 2 pair of your favorite and have them tailored for heels and flats. Casual to me, also consist of nice crisp white button ups, 3/4 length will work for work and play.

Cardigans are also nice transition pieces, cashmere being a favorite since it works well all year round.

That's all I can think of right now, I'm sure the other tPFers will chime in with great advice for you.

Thanks for the tips! I actually don't need work attire because I'm in school and I'll probably only wear the suit I got a couple of times a year, so I am glad I don't have to worry about that kind of stuff now.

Also I should have mentioned, I don't wear heels-ever. Can I wear trouser jeans with flats? I've tried it in the past and find that it covers up my feet entire and looks a little silly!

I guess I am trying to get away from the classic wardrobe style that most people suggest on here of just a white blouse, black bottoms, etc. I'm looking for more of a casual chic look, I don't want to feel like I'm wearing business casual separates and stuff all the time because I'm just not at that point in my life yet and my style is a little more eclectic.

I like a lot of color and ruffles- more along the lines of J.Crew and Anthro, I just cannot figure out how to build a complete wardrobe out of this stuff where I can mix and match pieces at all.

Also I should have mentioned, I don't wear heels-ever. Can I wear trouser jeans with flats? I've tried it in the past and find that it covers up my feet entire and looks a little silly!

I guess I am trying to get away from the classic wardrobe style that most people suggest on here of just a white blouse, black bottoms, etc. I'm looking for more of a casual chic look, I don't want to feel like I'm wearing business casual separates and stuff all the time because I'm just not at that point in my life yet and my style is a little more eclectic.

I like a lot of color and ruffles- more along the lines of J.Crew and Anthro, I just cannot figure out how to build a complete wardrobe out of this stuff where I can mix and match pieces at all.

OK... I see where you want to go fashion wise. I have to admit, I'm caught in a J. Crew rut!

Fear not, Zara and H&M can be your best friends for getting out of the classic wardrobe and into the casual chic. I've gotten lots of inspiration from the Outfit of the Day thread (we've got some schnazzy dressers around these parts!). Also, looking at Catalogs, from say J. Crew can provide direction and you can tweek it to your liking. Next time you're in J. Crew see a stylist, they're a free service and can open your eyes to ways of mixing and matching pieces you never thought would go together - trust me.

Re: Trousers Jeans - they can be worn with flats, provided they have been tailored so they don't drag (I hate to see that). Take a pair of flats with you when you go for alterations.

Have you tried the Minnie pant from J. Crew - they're FABULOUS. You just gotta try them on to understand where I'm coming from ;)

I have not tried the Minnie pant but I will definitely do so! I'm glad someone can see what I'm looking for look wise. I tried to explain it to my BF so he could help because he's good at dressing but he was dumbfounded.

I am saving pics as we speak of J.Crew outfits I like. I guess I will just end up buying the outfits for now exactly as they have them and maybe it will help inspire me to figure out other similar looks.

Any other suggestions for specific pieces I should look for?

I really like loose blousey silk tops lately, both sleeveless and with sleeves. They look great with skinny jeans/pants and high waisted pencil skirts. I buy mine from Yumi Kim but Shopbop has some nice options too. Dresses always look a bit more pulled together and are an easy option when getting dressed.

I second getting a few staple cardigans. I prefer three quarter sleeves. Get some lightweight cotton or silk or cashmere that you can wear all year. Also try to vary lengths. Cropped cardigans are good for skirts. Longer cardigans are nice over summer dresses.

You can also dress up your existing wardrobe with some big statement jewelry. Like skinny jeans with boyfriend tees and a big mixed metel neckalce and a cool ring or bracelet.

Where do you live? Do you need mostly warm weather outfits or some warmer layers?

I would probably stay with mostly jeans but add some pretty woven tops. I rarely wear tees anymore and find that outfits with other tops look more polished on me, even if they are still casual. For example, I have some cotton and silk tops from J Crew, Ann Taylor, and Banana Republic that I can wear alone or layer with a pretty cardi to dress up jeans. They also look nice with skirts, if I want to dress up a little more.

I think skirts in basic neutral colors are great, but if you don't want you look to be too dressy, you can go with shorter lengths and non-pencil shapes. I have a couple of minis from Boden and J Crew that look darling with flats and tights for cooler weather and a few flippy little a lines that look nice when it is warm.

Is it a young professional look you are looking for???

Twin sets, tailored white shirts with cute details (ruffle?), high waist trousers or skirts, and cardis are the most easy to wear and mix and match at this stage of your life. Don't go to super exclusive high end brands because you never know what you will be wearing in 3 years from now, you might end up with a lot of expensive clothes that you will never wear.

Thanks all!

lily- I do NOT want to look like a young professional. I have 3 years of grad school and I hate wearing business type clothes so I'd like to enjoy myself while I can fashion wise!

snowqueen- I live in Virginia, so it will be hot here until October. I will need warmer clothes for Nov-March, but for now I want to focus more on summer and a few transitional pieces. I will be inside a lot so I am fine with layering pieces because I don't want to freeze inside. I love the idea of a "third piece" and layers for trying to look put together but I am terrible at it.

lilac- Thanks for the tip on the silk blouses. I have one that I really like from anthro, so maybe I will look for some more and try layering them with cardigans (definitely an area that is lacking with my wardrobe).

I like a few of Banana Republic's "Outfits We Love" but most do tend towards business casual. I love this outfit. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/outfit.do?cid=50356&oid=OUT19079 and it is the first time I've ever bought a suggested outfit from a shop. This is the kind of blousy top I love with a skinny pant.

J Crew's suggest outfits are interesting, but I don't think people dress like that in real life and I live in NYC.
I do love some of J Crew's blouses but the selection tends to be better in fall.
This is nice. http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Wom...hirtstops/camisblouses/PRDOVR~25095/25095.jsp
This is nice too. But wouldn't work on me. Machine washable is a plus!
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Wom...hirtstops/camisblouses/PRDOVR~27826/27826.jsp
Also are you looking for shoes, I love the oxford trend. Gives some height without sacrificing comfort. J Crew has a really cute pair - I like it in the ginger color.
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Wom...~15~all~mode+matchallany~~~~~oxford/23936.jsp I've seen lots of girls wear oxfords with skinny jeans and skirts/dresses in the spring. Not so much right now because everyone is wearing sandals. But expect oxfords to be big again in the fall.

ETA: I looked through some Anthropologie outfits.
These are cute and easy to emulate.
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro...FITS7&cm_re=Jun_10-_-061510outfits-_-tag_lake
neutral colored dress and a brighter cardigan for inside with some cute flats and a waist cinching belt. Probably all good items to add to a wardrobe. I love summer dresses because they are easy to dress up or down. You could wear the dress for a casual evening with some wedges or heels and more dramatic jewelry.
http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro...FITS9&cm_re=Jun_10-_-061510outfits-_-tag_lime
A line skirt with a crisp white shirt on top. Fairly classic but very cute for day. For casual days, you can tuck a t shirt into the skirt or wear a white bottom down with jeans.

Oh and I would definitely recommend looking for a couple neutral shells to go with your suit instead of the standard button down. IMO - something like the Jackie shell at J Crew looks much more polished than a button down on women. Or anything that isn't too low cut.

Was just looking at Shopbop. This brand has some beautiful interesting white shirts that would dress up jeans or chinos.
http://www.shopbop.com/beyond-vintage/br/v=1/2534374302162291.htm

Sorry for the long post - but I had fun looking for clothes :biggrin:

Last edited:
I would invest in solid gray, black, and navy cardigans, (and maybe a light color, like white or tan) and another in a bright/fun color that you love. Solid colored cardigans are so easy to throw on and really pull together any outfit from a dress to slacks or jeans. You can go with a shorter one for a dressier look, and a longer v-neck one for wearing with more casual outfits. I've basically stopped wearing pullover sweaters because cardigans sit much better (no bunching over dresses for example) and you can still see the shirt you're wearing... I always think it's such a waste to cover up a cute shirt with a sweater!
My favorite ones are the 100% merino wool sweaters from J Crew. They're not scratchy, are reasonably warm, and hold up much better than cashmere or cotton blends. I've worn a few to death this year, with virtually no pilling.

Thanks all!

I picked up a pair of black Minnie pants at J.Crew today, I am thinking now I should have gotten charcoal instead or maybe both. Any suggestions on that front?

I also picked out a bunch of pics on the website that I liked and bought items that showed up in at least several of the pictures. Hopefully from there I can find other items similar to the ones in the "look" and make it work.

Thanks for the tip on cardigans- that is my next thing to look for!

I'd skip over the charcoal - they look used. Did you see the navy blue color - just picked them up last week - LOVE THEM!!!

re cardigans: I'd skip merino wool and go for cotton (the Jackie cardigan is nice) or cashmere (they're on sale now at J. Crew (in-store) w/additional 30% off)

I agree with DC-Cutie on the charcoal Minnies. They look faded.

However, I think J Crew has the worst cashmere ever (it pills badly). I also am not crazy about cotton cardis as they fade and pill.

I adore the J Crew merino cardis and think the ones Ann Taylor and Banana Republic have every fall are great. They are light weight enought to use nearly year round and hold up beautifully.

^^
OK, I might have to revisit the merino cardis - matter of fact I picked up some from Ann Taylor when they were marked down but have yet to wear them.

I think the reason why I haven't experienced the pilling, is because I have so many to rotate and don't wear them long enough.

Autumn Cashmere is really nice, though. I have a cardi-shawl that I'm in lust with...