Special editions and exclusivity

Apr 1, 2016
I think a lot has been said recently about how Goyard seems to be much more prevalent these days, especially with the rise of the "quiet luxury" trend. Although I haven't always kept up with Goyard's new releases as much as I do now, so this may not actually be the case, it seems to me that in recent years they've been coming out with a lot more frequent special and limited editions than there were in the past (e.g., this summer's greige claire-voie, the powder pink and jet black collection from 2022, the greige Varenne, the upcoming turquoise collection).

Since Goyard is a pretty low-key brand that doesn't offer new styles/collections at the same pace or volume as other houses (Chanel, LV, etc.), I found this shift kind of puzzling for a while. Initially, I thought the new special editions represented a slight concession to "drop" culture and the increasing frequency of new collections more broadly in luxury. However, since Goyard's being familiar only to those in the know has long made up a significant element of its appeal, I now wonder if this is an attempt to reclaim some exclusivity: while anybody who doesn't mind waiting in line can go into a boutique and walk out with a piece in the usual colors, it's more difficult to get your hands on items from a limited collection if you don't already have an SA (though I swear I was seeing the pink and greige claire-voie everywhere this summer). I guess this way they can continue to make money selling the perennials to people who just want it because it's trendy, while still allowing longstanding clients to feel like they have something special.

What are your thoughts? Am I full of it? Do you think there are other motivations? Have they always been doing special editions at this pace and I just missed it somehow? Please share!