speaking of fakes - get stuck with any? and what to do with the blasted things?

I don't have a dog, but I see people carrying plastic grocery bags, and a "POOPER SCOOPER"....

#16 or #17, How about a very FANCY "POOPIE Bag" when you go walk your dog. You may even tie the scooper to the lock, or have space inside the bag?

one more is "COMPOST" bag for the garden. Hopefully, it is made of natural materials that you can make compost w/ it.

no -- don't sell them: it's not a a question of whether you disclose it to the buyer but whether the trademark and trade dress infringe on the designer's intellectual property. and in the US "trafficking in counterfeit goods" carries a hefty penalty of up to $2,000,000 and 10 years in jail. the odds of a single ebay sale being prosecuted at such a level are infintessimally low (or multiples, for that matter, as we all know :cursing: ), but why intentionally commit a felony?

"Whoever intentionally traffics or attempts to traffic in goods or services and knowingly uses a counterfeit mark on or in connection with such goods or services shall, if an individual, be fined not more than $2,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both, and, if a person other than an individual, be fined not more than $5,000,000. In the case of an offense by a person under this section that occurs after that person is convicted of another offense under this section, the person convicted, if an individual, shall be fined not more than $5,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both, and if other than an individual, shall be fined not more than $15,000,000." (18 U.S.C. 2320 (a))

full statute: 18 U.S.C. 2320. Trafficking in Counterfeit Goods or Services

great thread. we need to come up with a list of 101 things to do to a fake.
hmmmm....

#1 fill with cement and use as a doorstop?

#2 stylish airplane barf bag?

#3 give to kids to use for collecting halloween candy?

well, theres three things anyway.

I don't think #2 is doable anymore, i heard now european airports will confiscate any counterfeits right there. :yes:

I bought a Prada on ebay (yeah I know) that I had no idea was fake. It had everything and looked great. But now, after being on this board for quite some time, I know its gotta be a fake. So I am donating (giving, not selling) it to charity so someone will get some use out of it.

no -- don't sell them: it's not a a question of whether you disclose it to the buyer but whether the trademark and trade dress infringe on the designer's intellectual property. and in the US "trafficking in counterfeit goods" carries a hefty penalty of up to $2,000,000 and 10 years in jail. the odds of a single ebay sale being prosecuted at such a level are infintessimally low (or multiples, for that matter, as we all know :cursing: ), but why intentionally commit a felony?

"Whoever intentionally traffics or attempts to traffic in goods or services and knowingly uses a counterfeit mark on or in connection with such goods or services shall, if an individual, be fined not more than $2,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both, and, if a person other than an individual, be fined not more than $5,000,000. In the case of an offense by a person under this section that occurs after that person is convicted of another offense under this section, the person convicted, if an individual, shall be fined not more than $5,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both, and if other than an individual, shall be fined not more than $15,000,000." (18 U.S.C. 2320 (a))

full statute: 18 U.S.C. 2320. Trafficking in Counterfeit Goods or Services

Thanks DQ, that's the one i was looking for :flowers:

Your posting got me to thinking that although Hermes has every reason to agressively pursue the sale of fake merchandise, Hermes itself is contributing to the problem by intentionally limiting production and thereby encouraging (forcing??) people into the secondary market where they buy fake Birkins for close to the actual price of a real one. This is different from fake LV. Chloe etc. where the real ones are generally available and people buy fakes either because they aren't knowledgeable or because they think they're going to save a little money. With Birkins the issue is availability and buy limiting availability I think Hermes, in some sense, plays into the hands of counterfeiters.

Oh no. Sorry, but I think it is ridiculous to blame Hermes for these scoundrels out here making money off of fakes. :rolleyes: Hermes can be as limited as it choose in providing birkins and that doesn't mean people HAVE to go out and buy fakes from these unscrupulous people. Besides, you killed your own argument with your reference to LV. If those bags are readily available and are still being faked, then clearly bags are going to be faked regardless.

It must hurt a lot when you have paid a pile of $$$$ for a fake - or worse, received it as a gift. I would be very cautious handing it in to a charity, where it could be innocently re-sold in a charity shop and get back into circulation.
Ha! The best way to get the things out of circulation and KEEP them out of circulation: give your fakes to us horsey gals .... I can picture each horse with a birkin grooming bag hanging outside its stable!
But seriously, it's a dreadful worry. I've had great angst about the problems my thread about ebay fraudsters seemed to spawn but I have had a couple of PMs from gals who have looked more carefully at listed items, and found scary histories, so I guess it was not in vain. I do hope though that I did not offend anyone (other than the odd troll....)

I gave my fake Gucci bag to my cleaning lady and she uses it as a diaper bag. It is a REALLY good fake, my dad brought it back from Asia for me and tried to pass it off as a real one. The only reason why I found out it was a fake was that I mentioned to him I might go to Europe soon (Italy being one of the destinations) and he stammered and said, "Ummmm well you might not want to bring that bag....it might get seized and destroyed." :Push:

In high school I used my tip money from a waitressing job to buy a red Prada wallet on EBAY....I had such high hopes for that wallet, however it was a bad fake. I should have known better!

nathansgirl- I think you might have misunderstood my point. With Birkins people don't HAVE to go out and buy them from unscrupulous sellers (after all no one HAS to buy any luxury good whether at Hermes or on the secondary market) but if someone wants a Birkin in a particular size and color they are almost (not absolutely, but almost) forced into the secondary market. These aren't buyers who are just trying to save a buck like those who purchase LV on the secondary market. Many are people who would pay full retail and would gladly purchase at Hermes if they could. But they can't (or almost can't) and thus turn to the secondary market where they are taken advantage of by unscrupulous sellers. Does that make these buyers wrong? I don't think it does. But Hermes is, in my opinion, contributing (notice I say contributing and not causing- I am certainly not putting all the blame on Hermes) to their becoming victims by: 1) somewhat artifically limiting production beyond the point where it just foments demand ; and 2) not taking enough action against counterfeiters (again, Hermes does pursue counterfeiters but to see a link where someone is offering fake Birkins by the 100s and is not shut down in mere days-- and those who agressively protect their trademark can indeed shut a counterfetier down in days--is disturbing, as are the hundreds of unchecked fakes for sale on e-Bay). I therefore think that Hermes bears some responsibility for the situation in which it finds itself. That is my opinion; I don't insist that others accept it. But let's please all try to stay respectful of other viewpoints.