Sparkly-challenged: Help on a good diamond deal!

1. Hey guys!! I'm completely new to this diamond thing, and this is why I need your help. I'm saving up to buy a pair of diamond studs. However, as much as I've been reading and memorizing, the whole grade and colour thing still confuses me. I fell in love with a pair at Tiffany's, but anything sparkly there is waaaay above my means.

So I was wondering if y'all could point me in the right direction. What should I be looking for? Where? Is it possible to find sparkly diamonds that won't have sky-high pricetags? I live in Mexico, and I make a fair salary compared to most of the people here, but I don't think I could afford a pair of earrings worth more than a thousand dollars. And even that would be a huge blow to my pockets. I'm also very close to the US border, so checking out jewelery shops in Texas isn't a problem.

Is this even possible?? Or am I dreaming too much??
  2. Realistically, you may be dissappointed with what you can get for $1000 imo. What I have seen (irl & actually on someone) to keep the price down is 4 princess diamonds invisibly joined in a setting that looks like they are one big princess. Now, the person I saw wearing these had what looked like very nice quality and setting work. I believe they were from Hong Kong or similar where they are particularly good at making settings. The earrings were very sparkly and indeed pretty.

I would look for something alone these lines. Perhaps an earring with tiny sprinkles of diamonds, or little loops with small diamonds. I wouldnt be aiming for solitares because you wont get sparkly ones and decent size for that budget.

You could always go for diamond look in small solitares too. It is hard to tell with earrings if they are real in a small size.
  3. i got diamond studs from and they were inexpensive and very pretty! i dont know if they ship abroad though.
  4. I just got a pair of beautiful diamond studs from my favorite jeweller in the philippines. 3/4 carats each total of 1 1/2 carats. Got it for an estimated $5500 (my estimate is based on currency conversion) and I checked out the ones at bluenile and they got the same price too!!!:yahoo:At least I know reputable jewellers are consistent with diamond prices. :graucho:
  5. I really recommend doing some diamond research before you purchase your studs, since you said that you were a bit confused about some of the C's.

I swear I don't work for them, or are affiliated in anyway, but I've found Pricescope to be incredibly helpful. There are several vendors who work in conjunction with them, and it seems like there are a few people who've posted about diamond studs there. They might be able to help you with some of your questions.

Good luck!
  6. Costco is a good option. So is Macy's when they have their twice-yearly 50% off sales. I've gotten unbelievable deals that way... Yeah, it's not as glamorous, but Costco actually carries REALLY nice diamonds (just look at their website; you can custom-order diamonds, too- mom got an awesome necklace that way), and some pretty high-end watches as well.