Spaghetti Aglio Olio

1. I'm doing something wrong with my spaghetti aglio olio. It ALWAYS turns out too dry no matter what I do. Does anyone have a good spaghetti aglio olio recipe?
  2. If it's too dry, then you need more olive oil!!!
  3. You also may need to add a bit of the pasta cooking water back after draining the pasta. Here's a basic recipes from Cook's Illustrated ( Their recipes are thoroughly tested and pretty well goof-proof. The pasta shouldn't be drained for longer than maybe ten seconds, it's still hot and still absorbing water. If you drain it too long it will dry out.

Spaghetti with Garlic and Olive Oil

The garlic is quickly and easily pureed with a garlic press. Alternatively, you can mince it with a chef’s knife, sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and continue to mince to a paste, but be sure to reduce the amount of salt cooked with the oil and garlic to 1/2 teaspoon. Diluting the garlic with a bit of water before sautéing ensures a mild, even garlic flavor and helps to prevent burning. Although not a pantry item, parsley adds a fresh herbal flavor and should be used if you have some on hand. If you like, cook 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste) along with the garlic and oil.

Serves 4

4 medium cloves garlic , peeled, processed through garlic press, and mixed with 1 teaspoon water (see note)
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Table salt
    1 pound spaghetti or linguine
    1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves (optional)
    Ground black pepper

1. Heat oil, garlic, optional pepper flakes, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until garlic turns golden but not brown, about 5 minutes; remove pan from heat.

2. Meanwhile, bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and pasta; cook until al dente. Reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid, drain pasta and return to pot. Add garlic mixture, reserved pasta cooking liquid, and optional parsley; toss well to coat. Adjust seasoning with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
  4. Thank you Hyacinth for the recipe! I just tried it tonight, added a few mushrooms, and it was great! The tip about not draining all the water was really useful. :tup:
  5. Thanks Hyacinth!! I'm going to try it next week.
  6. The Cooks Illustrated site is GREAT, and if you can get by the geeky boss with the bow tie, the cooking shows on PBS have a ton of great recipes and recommendations, just be careful to follow the recipes exactly (but adding mushrooms is OK with me). Some of the recipes go a bit heavy on the salt so I sometimes halve what the recipe calls for. You can always add more later if it needs it.

Their Smothered Pork Chops are one of the Better Half's favorites.