Southwest Airlines Makes Man Change Shirt

1. From CNN

If I felt humiliated like this, I would expect more than just a free ticket or two :tdown:. That would really be embarrassing. And in this day, every shirt coming out of Abercrombie or any vacation spot has crass shirts. I find them funny really
  2. I think the problem nowadays is that flying has become so stressful that airline crews want to remove anyone/anything that may create conflicts on board. They just don't have the time nor do they get paid enough to police people who don't have the good sense to be non-offensive in public. I saw that guy's shirt and I'm not sure I'd want kids to see that... especially when you are cooped up in a tin can at 30k feet/600 MPH!
  3. ^ I wouldn't want kids to see it either, but I wouldn't be completely bothered by it. Guess it is because I still live in a college town, it is ALL I see.
  4. Hey, I hear you. Real life requires one to develop a thick skin.

I think the crews are doing this more to save their own sanity than that of their passengers. They have enough to worry about trying to keep a plane full of people under control. I've seen people behave in ways on a plane they'd never dream of doing in real life.
  5. Lol that is rediculous that they had a problem with that shirt. I was thinking wow that shirt must have been horribly offensive, but a "Master Baiter" fishing shop shirt??? That is the sort of thing that would be over a kids head, and by the time a kid understands what it refers to, it's not like it is emotionally scarring, it is just a humorous play on words. I can understand that if you wear a shirt that people might find offensive, you accept the risk that you may not be permitted to be in certain places though!
  6. Wow, this is the 3rd story I've heard about Southwest. I personally don't have a problem with the shirt. You see the same things out at a mall, so why should flying on an airplane be any different?
  7. ^^
    I think the difference is that on a plane, you can't really 'get away' from such a person. In a mall, or in another public place, you can just walk away.

I also think that female SWA employees might call having to work in the presence of such a shirt a 'hostile work environment'.
  8. Last time I flew Southwest, they had to tell a guy to stop watching a movie on his laptop. I couldn't see what he was watching, but I did see people doing double takes when they walked by to use the restroom. I guess it must have been graphic, because several people complained. The guy either had no sense, forgot the movie had a scene that would be questionable for public viewing, or was some type of perv.
  9. I agree with Roo, just because some people thinks something is humourous & harmless, doesn't mean all will.... sexual harrassment doesn't rely on the originator's opinion, it depends on who is offended.

It's immature, yes... and on an airplane, everyone is a captive audience. I wouldn't want to have to walk by that several times an hour just bc someone thought it was "funny."
  10. Well, an airplane may be a confined space, but so is an elevator in any building that is open to the general public, and a commercial airline serves the public, so the airplane is also a public place.

In any public place, we are all likely to see fashion choices we don't like, and we all have the right to do all we can to avoid being in public places unless we absolutely have to, for any reason, including the likelihood of being displeased by what other people are wearing. Or no reason at all. And the people who are likely to be displeased by what we are wearing have that same right.

And we all have the right, wherever we are, to look at things that please us, and not look at things that displease us.

I think that the airline would be within its rights to announce that they would no longer serve the general public, but re-classify themselves as a private air travel club and sell tickets only to individuals who met certain criteria, and those criteria could certainly include a dress code, or even passenger uniforms. They could also ban laptops on airplanes entirely, allow them to be carried on but not turned on, or turned on and used but only for the running of certain programs, like Word or Excel, or allow laptop use, but forbid viewing videos, or to limit their video viewing to those approved by the airline.

As a private club, they would really have a lot of options, and it might do pretty well. I imagine there is a large enough niche market that would respond favorably to it, and oh, if they could get a designer to lend his or her name, then the sky's the limit!
  11. I think the moral majority has taken over the board of directors at SW Airlines.... no wonder I don't fly with them!
  12. Fri Oct 5, 5:28 PM

By The Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. - Southwest Airlines said it will apologize to a passenger who was told he would be removed from a flight if he didn't change clothes, the second time in recent months the budget carrier has been forced to do so.

Joe Winiecki, of Largo, Fla., boarded a Southwest flight in Columbus, Ohio, wearing a fictional fishing shop T-shirt which featured the words, "Master Baiter."

Winiecki, who was travelling home, said he was in his seat when an employee told him he had to change his T-shirt, turn it inside out, or get off the plane.

Winiecki protested that the airline was infringing on his right to free speech, but changed his shirt fearing he would miss the flight and a day's work.

Southwest spokesman Chris Mainz said Friday the employee made a mistake because the Dallas-based airline does not have a dress code.

The airline apologized this summer after a college student wearing a denim miniskirt and a sweater over a tank top was told to change her outfit or get off a flight departing from San Diego.

Kyla Ebbert, who was 23, told the story on "The Dr. Phil Show." She was read a printed apology from Southwest Chief Executive Gary Kelly on the show.

Ebbert was allowed to fly after agreeing to alter her outfit. The airline offered Ebbert free tickets and tried to make light of the mix-up in humourous advertising.

Ebbert declined the tickets.

After the Ebbert encounter, Southwest President Colleen Barrett sent employees a generally worded e-mail reminding them that the airline has no dress code, Mainz said.

Southwest, like other airlines, has language in its contract of carriage that states it reserves the right to deny service to customers whose clothing is "lewd, obscene or patently offensive."

Airline officials have discussed giving employees more specific examples of what is considered lewd or offensive, Mainz said.

13. Caitlin, I am going to merge this thread with Megs' thread that was started yesterday. Interesting development though, that they are now apologizing...
  14. Sorry! I didn't realize it had been posted before!

(I guess great minds think alike!)

While there are some crass (and quite funny) t-shirts out there, you really need to think whether or not your shirt will offend someone before you put it on.

I'm glad he went with that shirt, as opposed to one with F YOU across it in huge letters. (My dad saw that one in a mall in Hawaii once. We still bring it up from time to time.)

At least with the "Master Baiter" shirt, it's the kind of thing where you can choose whether or not you want to explain that one to your kids. I would imagine most parents would choose not to explain it.
  15. Folks who wear offensive T-shirts do so for one reason: to get attention. My policy has always been to ignore such people. SW felt obliged to make a big issue out of it instead. So now instead of 150 or so people on the plane getting offended, millions of news readers all over the world can take umbrage! HOORAY!! Because God knows we have nothing better to do with our lives than constantly police the actions of others and make sure their clothing, reading/viewing material, child-rearing techniques, choice of side dish or whatEVER conforms to our standards!