sore throat remedies?

1. Hi ladies! :sad: so I woke up this morning and it felt like a golf ball was stuck in my throat! it hurts whenever i swallow anything at all and it's dry and scratchy. now, I have to cram for 3 exams on monday, PLUS I was *supposed* to start my fitness plan today. I don't think I need to take any cough medicine, but my throat is just making me feel awful!

anyone know any good things to eat when your throat hurts? :nuts: I've been eating yummy flavored oatmeal and it really helps!

thanks!

2. Ice cream! Popsicles, pudding, chicken soup - anything comforting is good :biggrin: Just drink lots of water and OJ and get some rest. Hope you feel better :nuts:

3. Commercial sore throat remedies don't work, according to many articles I've read.... I've always found that a nice, warm cup of tea does wonders. :amuse:

4. i was gonna suggest a nice cup of tea as well.......i find that lemon and honey with hot water works well too :shame:

5. Hot tea with honey (a natural antiseptic) will help sooth your throat, and gargle with warm-as-you-can-stand-it salt water (1 tsp salt to 8oz. water) several times a day. My daughters always hated the taste of the salt water, but would do it anyway, because it works. Also keep your neck warm. The heat triggers the body's immune response and sends white blood cells to the area to fight infection. Rest is also important, as our bodies heal while resting. Hope you feel better!

love, Pippi

6. :amuse: Thanks everyone!

7. aspirin and the gargling has always helped me, so has cold diet sprite and tea...good luck to you!

8. the remedy that has never failed me:

2 large oranges + 1/2 a lemon freshly squeezed in a nice tall glass twice a day.

After Day 2, you should be good as new ;)

Hope you feel better :love:.

9. I read somewhere that you should eat fresh pineapple at the first sign of a sore throat. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it works!

10. Yumchocolate,

Have plenty of rest, drink a lot of fluids, do saline gargles( glass of warm water with a tsp of salt) or use OTC Chloraseptic spray. If you're running a fever, see exudates in your tonsils and don't have much of the cough and cold symptoms, not feeling any better or getting worst, please see your doctor asap so you could be checked for strep infection. Most sore throats are viral in nature and usually go away on their own. Streptococcal tonsillitis is bacterial and needs to be treated with antibiotic.

Hope you feel better soon.

11. At the first sign of a sore throat mix the juice of a lemon then a tbsp of honey and warm in the microwave. Works for me every time.

12. Gargle with warm saltwater at first sign of throat bothering you and continue as often as you can. I have never seemed to get a sore throat because I always do this to keep it away.

13. Take 2 advil, or other ibuprofen (not tylenol) and have a cup of tea with honey in it, the ibuprofen helps the inflamation in your throat and the honey coats it.

14. I have a super gross remedy that'll make everyone stay away from you for a week, but it works pretty well. My roommate from college used to do this. Make raw garlic & honey sandwiches. The garlic works like a charm! (Make sure you have more honey than garlic, and buy some Trident or Dentyne ice!)

I also take this weird chinese medicene that looks like pistachio colored m&ms. I forget it's name, but it works really well.

15. I take a Chinese sore throat syrup, and swear that it works wonders: Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa. It tastes like honey, licorice, and fragrent herbs.
    My DF who's Caucasian lovingly calls it "bat wing tonic", but is a convert too.

I also gargle with salt water and drink plenty of warm fluids.