Soothing Oatmeal Face Goop

1. About once a week, I exfoliate my face with a Burt's Bees face bar. It really helps to slough off dead skin and it has been doing wonders for my uneven skin tone. My face is almost back to being even! Whoo!

But whenever I exfoliate, my skin seems to dry out and feel a little raw, no matter how gentle I am (and trust me, I am super gentle). I decided to experiment a little and make a mask that could help sooth my face after the trauma of exfoliation.

I think I have found something that really, really works! And it is 100% all natural. [​IMG] Thought I would share it with all of you lovely ladies. If you decide to try it, please give me some feedback!

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup of water
    4 heaping tablespoons organic instant oatmeal
    1 teaspoon organic honey
    1 teaspoon whole milk

Hardware:
    1 small saucepan
    2 bowls
    1 silicon spatula
    1 fine mesh sieve
    measuring cups and spoons

Preparation:
    1) Put about 1/2 cup of the water in the pan and set 1/4 cup of the water aside. Place pan on stove and turn on the heat. Bring to a boil.

2) While the water is boiling, combine the oatmeal, honey, and milk into a bowl. With your fingers, work the mixture until combined. It should look crumbly and stick slightly to the fingers, but not too sticky to get off your fingers.

3) When the water comes to a boil, dump in the oatmeal mixture.

4) Let the oatmeal absorb most of the water. When it starts to look a little thick, add the 1/4 cup water you set aside earlier. Stir to combine and then remove from the heat of the stove.

5) Set up your sieve over a bowl and poor the prepared oatmeal in the sieve. Press out as much liquid from the oatmeal as you can, making sure you scrape off the creamy goop that collects on the outside of the sieve into the bowl with the silicon spatula.

6) once you have gotten as much moisture out of the oatmeal as you can, discard* the solid oatmeal. Stir the creamy goop and the more watery liquid together to combine.

* I don't throw the oatmeal away. I eat it later with a little bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, and milk added in! :smile:

7) Place bowl of liquid in the fridge for fifteen minutes or the freezer for five minutes. Now would be a good time to clean up your mess while you wait for it to cool!

Application to the face:
    1) After you exfoliate (or after your nightly face washing), make sure you rinse your face really well and then pat dry.

2) Smear the still-warm (make sure it is cool enough for your face, though!) goop on your face in a thin, even layer.

3) Allow the mask to dry completely. This takes about 10-15 minutes.

4) After it is dry and your face feels tight as a drum (haha), soften it with a warm, moist washcloth. Move the washcloth in a gentle, circular motion to re-moisten the mask.

5) Rinse your face completely with warm water and pat dry with a clean, soft towel.

Voilà!! You're done!

Things you should know:
    1) This goop will keep in the fridge in a sealed baggie or container for about a week. When you'd like to use it again, just pop it in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds so it is nice and warm.

2) Not only is oatmeal a great way to moisturize your skin, it helps combat oiliness!

3) I have only tested this mask on MY FACE and my face alone. If you try out this recipe on your own, you are doing so at your own risk. I am not responsible for your skin getting pissed off at you and breaking out.

4) For reference, though, I have extremely sensitive skin and this stuff is great for me. Still, at your own risk!

5) Avoid the eye area while applying.

6) Don't forget to apply to your lips! And don't worry about licking them. It's a pretty tasty mask! Haha.

Anyway, that said, I hope anyone who does choose to use my face mask has success with it. Again, if you decide to try it out, let me know how it works out for you! Feedback is always awesome.