sometimes all it takes is something simple

I wanted to add my friend seems to do the nicest things for people. Once she was driving to get on the turnpike and saw a homeless man with a sign. She will not give homeless people money but she went out of her way to get 2 dinners and a six pack of cold soda and went back and gave it to the man along with a blanket from her car. She had done things like this before--with the food. She also bought a large dinner for a homeless couple she saw sitting in Publix (supermarket in Florida) because she could see they just wanted to sit in a place that had air conditioners. They were so happy. She had stopped and drove a older women home who was waiting in the heat at a bus stop for hours. She saw the woman before a doctor's appt. and when she came out a few hours later the woman was still waiting. So she drove the lady home and the woman just about cried over this. I think there are a lot of kind people in this world but sometimes it just takes the action of one person to make others realize that they too can make a slight difference in someone's life by a small act of kindness.

That is so nice of you hlfinn. Just shows there are still good people, that although they cannot solve world hunger or stop wars, can make this world a little bit better to live in.

let me say one thing- i don't think i was particularly nice. i think that getting up for older people, pregant women, women who are ill, holding doors open, etc are things we should all do without question. it's how i was raised and how i try to live- except for those moments like "ah but i dont wanna get up. i'm tired". i think society in general has gotten away from good manners and treating people with respect.

so while i thank you all for your comments i don't think i did anything out of the ordinary nice. i think these sorts of things are what we should all expect, kwim?

let me say one thing- i don't think i was particularly nice. i think that getting up for older people, pregant women, women who are ill, holding doors open, etc are things we should all do without question. it's how i was raised and how i try to live- except for those moments like "ah but i dont wanna get up. i'm tired". i think society in general has gotten away from good manners and treating people with respect.

so while i thank you all for your comments i don't think i did anything out of the ordinary nice. i think these sorts of things are what we should all expect, kwim?

i totally agree with you...some things should just be done out of common courtesy. but what a great story still!

Whenever I have a huge cart full of groceries and someone gets in line behind me with only a few things I always let them go ahead of me. Sometimes I end up letting 3 or 4 people go ahead before it's my turn even though I do my grocery shopping in the AM on my way home from work and I'm usually quite tired. I figure if you do something nice for someone maybe they'll do something nice for someone else later on in the day.

More people need to think like you, and good for you for putting other's first!

Recently I was waiting for breakfast at an Ihop. I was sitting down and an older woman came so I gave up my seat for her. I am very obviously pregnant (about 6.5 months along and HUGE) and am already having a hard time standing up for long periods of time. I looked around me at all the men and younger people sitting and kind of expected someons to give up their seat, but they didn't. I'll remember that some dayand make sure either myself or my hubby gives up our seat for a pregnant woman.

I'm glad to hear such a nice story! When I didn't have a car, I used to give up my seat a lot. Not to brag, but that's how I was raised. Most of the time I wouldn't get a seat for myself, regardless of the many men on the bus, but it made me feel good about myself.