Soft rocker Dan Fogelberg dies at 56 of prostate cancer

1. ...maybe a bit too passee for some t'PFers here but this man was a true pioneer in late 70s/early 80s Soft Rock. "Longer" is a wedding song staple. He will be missed.

The leader of the band is gone.
    Easy-rocking singer-songwriter Dan Fogelberg, known for such '70s and '80s hits as "Leader of the Band" and "Same Old Lang Syne" died Sunday at his home in Maine, following a battle with prostate cancer. He was 56.
    "Dan left us this morning at 6 a.m. He fought a brave battle with cancer and died peacefully at home in Maine with his wife Jean at his side," read a statement posted on the singer's Website. "His strength, dignity and grace in the face of the daunting challenges of this disease were an inspiration to all who knew him."
    Fogelberg was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer in 2004. He underwent hormonal therapy and achieved a partial remission but failed to completely eliminate the disease.

In a statement expressing his gratitude to his fans for their support following his diagnosis, Fogelberg said he found it "truly overwhelming and humbling to realize how many lives [his] music has touched so deeply all these years."

"I thank you from the very depths of my heart," he added.

Over the course of his career, Fogelberg released more than 20 albums, many of them going gold or platinum.

While his first album, 1972's Home Free, received only a lukewarm response from critics, his follow-up, 1974's Souvenirs, was a huge hit, catapulting him to stardom.

Perhaps his best-known album was 1981's The Innocent Age, which included his biggest singles, "Leader of the Band," "Same Old Lang Syne" and "Hard to Say."

His final album, Full Circle, was released in 2003, and featured a return to his folk-inspired roots of the '70s. It was his first album of original material in a decade.

Fogelberg was also known for his live performances and spent most summers on the road, either with a full band or as a solo acoustic act.

In 2002, fans showed their appreciation by selecting him to be one of the first 10 artists inducted into the Performers Hall of Fame at Colorado's Red Rocks Amphitheatre.

At the time of his cancer diagnosis, he was planning a fall tour, which he was subsequently forced to cancel. He later urged others to be tested regularly, writing on his Website, "I promise you, you DON’T want to go through what I’m going through if you can avoid it."

Fogelberg is survived by his wife, Jean. No funeral plans had been announced.

2. I remember him from the radio, so sad.

3. I had to post this not only from my memories of "Longer" as a favorite slow dancing song as a kid, but also due to the prostate cancer. So many of the men on my Dad's side of the family have suffered from this, most successfully treated, others not...ladies PLEASE make sure the men in your life get their PSA (prostate specific antigen) count checked regularly by their physician!!

4. That's sad. I'm not that old, but Leader of the Band and Same Auld Lang Syne are 2 of my favorite songs!

5. very sad.
    RIP Mr. Fogelberg...

6. I liked the song Hearts Hotel. I thought it was about a hotel though. :shrugs: My Grandpa has Prostate cancer. Thanks for this post Pursegrrl

7. Dan Fogelberg's music is the soundtrack of my 20's and 30's. Every time I moved into a new house, I would christen it by playing Netherlands.

I was so in love with him and his music I did a pencil and charcoal portrait of him using this album cover in 1979 that is still hanging in my music room. (Sorry, Tim, but you weren't included)

[​IMG]

I'd sort of moved away from his music as far as the newer releases, but have still kept his CDs in my car and his music in my heart.

Such a loss. This was a man that wrote, played and sang music. That's a rare thing these days.

8. The Leader Of the Band Has Died :sad:

RIP Mr. Fogelberg

9. condolences to the family

10. With the holidays coming up, I was just thinking about Same Old Lang Syne, and how sad that song is. It's too bad we lost such a talented artist to a terrible disease.

11. I heard this yesterday and it really hit me since my dad has this as well. And now today one of the guys from Crosby Stills and Nash (Stephen Stills) has it and is having the surgery too...:crybaby:

12. My prayers to Dan Fogelberg's family.

I hope Stephen Stills is alright!

Admittedly, the only Crosby, Sitlls & Nash song I know (and love) is Our House.

13. ...I just got "leader of the band" from iTunes and it still gives me chills today. There are so many talented singers out there, but singer/SONGWRITERS are head & shoulders above. RIP Dan.

14. Funny thing about all the headlines I've been reading. Everyone describes him as a "soft rocker." Speaking as a die hard fan that has more of his albums than I can count, Ole Dan could pull some rockin' rock out of his guitar and his piano, too. Some of my favorites were his rock songs, but those rarely made air play. :shrugs: