SoCal slaughterhouse at center of recall (graphic video)

1. That is just disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. And I bet some of these people think it was just "part of the job" and mentally forgive themselves that way.

Unfortunately, this is nothing new. FAR from it....it is the everyday happens that this ONE time happened to be leaked out. I recommend anyone interested to read the book "Slaughterhouse" by Gail Eisnitz. It's been out for a while but has never really received any press, I don't think. However, it is so incredibly detailed and well researched reporting. Here's the link: http://www.amazon.ca/Slaughterhouse-Gail-Eisnitz/dp/1591024501/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203395038&sr=8-1 The book will help you realize that this is nothing new, as unfortunate and shameful upon the industry and country as this is.

2. In case anyone needed another reason to buy local, organically raised, hormone-free, grass-fed beef, this is it. Vegetarianism, or at least switching to several vegetarian meals per week, is even better.

This is reprehensible and happens far more often than is caught on videotape.

3. I think these are the same pictures that HSUS has been showing, I got a couple e-mails from them, and I also saw the video clip on CNN, this absolutely breaks my heart, I just want to cry so much and go rescue those poor cows. I don't understand how some people can be so incredibly evil like this, wth is the matter with them? How would they like it if they got forklifts driven into them and they got tortured? Would they find it amusing then?:cursing::cursing:
    I hope and pray that someday in my lifetime, all of this will change and that animals will get many more rights and respect in society. I would love for the whole meat industry to be abolished, it's not healthy anyways, and by no means humane. There is no call for stories like this.
    Like HauteMama said, even for those who eat meat, cutting back on meat a few times a week makes a bit of a difference.

4. "Authorities said the video showed workers kicking, shocking and otherwise abusing "downer" animals that were apparently too sick or injured to walk into the slaughterhouse. Some animals had water forced down their throats, San Bernardino County prosecutor Michael Ramos said."
    :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby::crybaby: Words cannot express how this makes me feel.:cursing::mad: Those people will get their's, I hope they sit and rot in jail for the rest of their lives.

5. I couldn't even click on the links...this is so disgusting and sad.

It is heart breaking for me to think of how these poor animals suffer, and how humans are the cause of it.

6. Unfortunaley this is and all too common issue. IMHO its a little bit hypocritical to cry foul and boohoo and still eat meat. I'm in no way saying people shouldn't eat meat/dairy. Its natural and has been this way for 1000s of years. But what do people think happens in a SLAUGHTERHOUSE (key word is slaughter.) People want to see their meat an nice and cooked and on a plate but don't want to know where it comes from. I'm not saying this is right, but meat is a fact of life. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. Its a lose lose situation IMO.

7. ^ Unfortunately most people do not think about where their meat comes from or how it gets there. I cannot even click on the link nor can I read about this any further, I saw a picture from this last week and it's just way too upsetting. There are too many words for what i think should happen to the abusers! it's one thing to slaughter the cow which is bad enough! but it's another to completely torture the cow and not let it die in dignity...or at least, the most humane way to possibly kill a cow. I guess you have to be screwed up to work in that industry to begin with.

8. if people would only do their jobs properly...

9. How is it hypocritical? Its hypocritical to want to believe that the USDA and other federal regultory agencies are using our tax dollars to ensure that things like this don't happen? SLAUGHTERHOUSE is not synonymous with the torture and abuse of animals. Its merely a FACILITY where animals are killed. Hence Slaughter House. I've been to a slaughterhouse in Pennsylvania. My cousins and I went there and bought a cow, had it slaughtered, and then distributed meat to family members and friends. It was such a clean environment!!! I expected it to be filthy, but it was not whatsoever. The farmer and his family were great. My cousin said some prayers prior to the cow being slaughtered.

Also, you are generalizing that people don't care where their meat is coming from. I disagree with you. I don't buy meat from chain food stores and only purchase them from the organic market or my butcher (who gets all his meat from a particular slaughterhouse which is always inspected).

10. Is this the slaughterhouse on the interstate 5 between San Francisco and LA?

I remember driving past and smelling it for a half hour. I felt like I was going to puke. It was terrible. No wonder the cows go lame, ugh.

11. That is Coalinga and I think it is a dairy farm. Have you ever seen that commercial about how happy California cows are and that is why California cheese is so good. What a JOKE. Those cows are suffering. That slaughterhouse issue is big news in L.A. and apparently the meat from that particular slaughterhouse was going to the L.A. Unified School district lunch program and some of the fast food places like In N Out Burger, Burger King, McD.

Sadly, this is a recurring issue in the meat industry throughout time. Really, the only way to do away with the problem is to not eat meat and not to feed it to your kids, too. So heartbreakingly sad.

12. I was shocked. I received an email this morning from the ASPCA about this as well.

13. I totally agree. There are obviously rogue establishments out there, but if you were to visit any random slaughterhouse in the US, you're most likely to find a clear, respectable, and sanitary environment where animals are killed as quickly and humanely as possible. I grew up on a small farm that was surrounded by large cattle farms, and while we did not have any cows, most of my neighbors, and many of my friend's families did. And they were all meat cows, and they were all pasture-fed and healthy. They were not tortured before being slaughtered, and sick cows were never used for meat.

My sister even goes so far as helping out one of her local organic/free-range farmers, and for the past two years, she and her husband have helped slaughter their own Thanksgiving turkey to ensure they know where it came from. And while I am not quite up to that task, I try to buy meat responsibly.

This was an awful, awful situation, but for anyone to suggest that everyone should give up meat because of one incident is rather uncalled for. I completely respect anyone who decides to go vegetarian or vegan, but I also expect the same respect in return, and do not expect to have my choices thrown back in my face.

14. Nothing new but still so shocking I cannot bear to watch videos like this. This is why meat doesn´t taste good to me anymore. I cannot understand why someone would do that? What is the purpose?