So, What's Your Bag Philosophy?

1. I'm always interested in why people love their bags, what they carry in them and how they use them. I have noticed we have a variety of philosophies here and wanted your thoughts on the following:

• Do you tend to purchase on impulse or think things through for a long time first?
    • Do you buy bags for specific use, or do you buy multiple bags as 'every day' bags?
    • Do you buy sets to use them together or mix and match?
    • Do you buy bags for the season or stick to year-round?
    • Do you love a big collection or do you prefer a few key things that you use on a regular basis?
    For me, I was once a collector and rotated on a regular basis. Now that I have several small children and our house is filled with lots more stuff, I'm paring down and enjoying seeing more blank space in my closet. I've sold some of my pre-loved bags on eBay and now prefer to purchase a few key things that I really love and are more multi-purpose.

I would love to have the free-spriited approach to purchase an Ali in white, but I bought in Whiskey for above-said reasons. I also tend to buy more bags as 'everyday' bags (shoulder totes, etc) and just a couple of wristlets. I see so many beautiful things but remind myself of my own particular habits.

If this is a duplicate thread, please accept my apology. I did search and didn't see one.

Would love to hear your bag philosophy. :jammin:

2. 1) think things through
    2) multiple bags as "every day"
    3) try to buy sets
    4) I buy for the season
    5) Well, since frequenting this board, I love a big collection :smile:

3. 1) always buy in impulse
    2) multiple bags every day
    3) dont buy sets
    4) year around (I use summer in the winter and vise versa. Just depends on my taste at the time)
    5) All of the above. Also depens on the mood.

• Do you tend to purchase on impulse or think things through for a long time first? Yes.
    • Do you buy bags for specific use, or do you buy multiple bags as 'every day' bags? Yes.
    • Do you buy sets to use them together or mix and match? Yes.
    • Do you buy bags for the season or stick to year-round? Yes.
    • Do you love a big collection or do you prefer a few key things that you use on a regular basis? Yes
    Oh, wait - were you looking for something more specific? I must be a total freak because I really do all of the above. There are times that I impulsively buy and regret it later, think things over and over and still regret it later (LOL) but usually when I think it over I make a good decision. I sometimes buy bags for a specific purpose but most of my bags are everyday bags. I usually buy sets of bags (a handbag/purse with a coordinating tote for work; or coordinating accessories) but I also mix everything up because most of what I own is black. I have a couple bags that I bought because I figured they were "summer" or "winter" bags but again, seeing I always wear black bags, I end up using them all of the time. And finally, as much as I try to limit the number of bags I own, I find myself with a small collection of sorts.

I think this is what one may call Bi-Polar Purse Disorder. :p:wacko::weird::upsidedown:

• Do you tend to purchase on impulse or think things through for a long time first? I think things through.. I dont like returning bags
    • Do you buy bags for specific use, or do you buy multiple bags as 'every day' bags? some every day, a couple of special occasions (like my poppy wristlet)
    • Do you buy sets to use them together or mix and match? nope if i like it and can afford it, i buy it
    • Do you buy bags for the season or stick to year-round? i try to do one bag for summer, one for winter, but they both work either way
    • Do you love a big collection or do you prefer a few key things that you use on a regular basis?a few things that i use on the regular. i would hate to buy a bag only to look at it!

4. Do you tend to purchase on impulse or think things through for a long time first? I mostly buy from TJM or Marshalls, so when I see one I love I HAVE to grab it or it's gone.
    Do you buy bags for specific use, or do you buy multiple bags as 'every day' bags? I buy multiple bags for everyday use.
    Do you buy sets to use them together or mix and match? I mix and match mostly, but want to add more accessories to match what I have already.
    Do you buy bags for the season or stick to year-round? I buy for the season. That's why I NEED one in every color.
    Do you love a big collection or do you prefer a few key things that you use on a regular basis? I have about 13 total right now and want to add about three or four more colors (red, camel and white). I get bored easily and like to change up every other day usually to match what I'm wearing.

• Do you tend to purchase on impulse or think things through for a long time first?
    No easy answer to this one for me. If I come across a great deal on something I like and I can afford it at the moment, I'll buy it. This happened with a demi I saw at TJ Maxx a few weeks ago. Also, I saved for quite awhile when I knew I was probably going to be in the vicinity of the San Marcos outlet, but I wasn't saving for a particular bag. I did wind up with two that I love. The Legacy Stripe ponytail scarf was total impulse, and I'm glad I did it!

Now, I've decided to reward myself for running by putting $2 into my "Coach stash" for every mile I run. It's great motivation, and I really have my eye on the red patent Ergo!
    • Do you buy bags for specific use, or do you buy multiple bags as 'every day' bags?
    I buy what I like. I don't buy anything to match a specific outfit or anything, but I do go over in my head what I have in my closet that would work with it. So I guess I'm more the "every day" bag kind of girl.
    • Do you buy sets to use them together or mix and match?
    Mix and match. I don't use a wallet - the inside zip pocket on my bags is perfectly sufficient. Also, I try to have a variety. For instance, since I already have a black leather hobo, I won't be buying another black leather bag for a very long time. A black signature bag isn't out of the question, but I'd be more likely to go with khaki right now, to add variety.
    • Do you buy bags for the season or stick to year-round?
    I buy bags according to how often I think I'll be able to use them. I bought a white lunch tote with spring and summer in mind, but that doesn't mean it won't work well with some of my fall and winter outfits, too.
    • Do you love a big collection or do you prefer a few key things that you use on a regular basis?
    The more, the merrier, as long as it doesn't start getting redundant and I don't end up with 5 pink bags or something!

These are FANTASTIC questions. I'm going to be keeping up with this thread - I think it's one of the more interesting ones I've read here!

• Do you tend to purchase on impulse or think things through for a long time first? It all depends on what kind of mood I'm in at the time
    • Do you buy bags for specific use, or do you buy multiple bags as 'every day' bags? Multiple every day bags

• Do you buy sets to use them together or mix and match? I'm trying to be more of a "set" kinda girl but there's nothing wrong with mixing/matching

• Do you buy bags for the season or stick to year-round? BOTH

• Do you love a big collection or do you prefer a few key things that you use on a regular basis? Right now I'm trying to build my collection with a lot of different things that I can rotate regularly....if that makes sense:shrugs:

5. Cute thread!

Do you tend to purchase on impulse or think things through for a long time first? I USUALLY think them through but if I am at the outlet and see a great deal I will make a purchase.
    Do you buy bags for specific use, or do you buy multiple bags as 'every day' bags? For the most part I buy bags for everyday.

Do you buy sets to use them together or mix and match? No
    Do you buy bags for the season or stick to year-round? Season, I do carry my lighter bags in the summer.

Do you love a big collection or do you prefer a few key things that you use on a regular basis? I have a big collection (to me 12 bags is big) and I am trying to rotate them all so they get some use.

6. When I started collecting I wanted seasonal bags. Now that I have one for each season I tend to look for diversity in my collection. I want everything to have different qualities (design, use, color, materials).

7. I'm a new collector. I seriously just wanted a small wallet but I wanted something durable so I went on the Coach website. Now I want to buy something new every week. BAD IDEA...at least for me, I don't work as often as I like to which means not too much income.

I really just feel that I should have three bags...camel, black and white. But now I'm getting a bit adventurous since the new spring line came out...I bought myself the watercolor wristlet. I NEVER buy anything with color so it's new for me. I'm really liking the idea of not having to carry around three basic colors all the time.

My next purchase will either be a camel colored Ergo hobo, since I can use that year round, or a chocolate Carly. I'm really torn though....

• Do you tend to purchase on impulse or think things through for a long time first? Think things through-I'm forced to due to lack of funds but if I see a great deal I will jump on it if at all possible.
    • Do you buy bags for specific use, or do you buy multiple bags as 'every day' bags? Multiple 'every day' bags.
    • Do you buy sets to use them together or mix and match? Mix and match-again, the lack of funds thing, lol. But I'd probably buy that way even if I had a real job.
    • Do you buy bags for the season or stick to year-round? So far I've bought things I can use year round but eventually I'd like to buy a few for just seasonal use. Like a nice colorful summer bag and one of the older furry ones for winter maybe.
    • Do you love a big collection or do you prefer a few key things that you use on a regular basis? I love a big collection! Unfortunately, I am limited by those darned funds again, hehe.
    I love this thread btw.

8. Do you tend to purchase on impulse or think things through for a long time first?
    Most of the time I think things through before purchasing them, but everyone has those moments of weakness when they make an impulse buy :p

Do you buy bags for specific use, or do you buy multiple bags as 'every day' bags?
    every day bags

Do you buy sets to use them together or mix and match?
    usually mix and match, although I am just now starting to match my accessories to the bag.

Do you buy bags for the season or stick to year-round?
    year-round (although I have my pond bag which I love that is more a spring/summer bag)

Do you love a big collection or do you prefer a few key things that you use on a regular basis?
    because of TPF my collection is getting bigger than it should be :graucho:, but I mostly prefer bags that I will get a lot of use out of and not use just for a few times and then sit in my closet.

9. Do you tend to purchase on impulse or think things through for a long time first? Very much on impulse...

Do you buy bags for specific use, or do you buy multiple bags as 'every day' bags? I have multiple "every day" bags....

Do you buy sets to use them together or mix and match? I mix and match... more because I don't have the the focus for all matching stuff.

Do you buy bags for the season or stick to year-round? :shrugs: I dunno... I just buy things I like, and use them when appropriate.

Do you love a big collection or do you prefer a few key things that you use on a regular basis? Well... my need for a bigger collection has definately grown since finding this place!! I would like to have some key pieces from different brands in my collection that are more "staples", but I haven't entirely got to where I want to be yet....

:drinkup:

10. I have to say that I absolutely LOVE the answers we're getting in this thread. I think that buying a bag is often symbolic of what is going on in our lives and what moves us at that time. It can also give a glimpse into our personalities and our preferences. Maybe even how risk averse we are?

It's fun to consider that choosing a bag is really more than just about buying something to haul our stuff around in!