So Upset With No Idea What To Do

1. Subject: So Upset With No Idea What To Do

I had been preparing to propose to my girlfriend for about the past 6 months. Here is my saga…

May 2007

After doing a ton of research, I decided that whiteflash.com was the best way to go to purchase a diamond. I worked with Tracy at Whiteflash and she found me an amazing diamond. I decided on a 1.31 carat, F color, SI1, round cut, ideal cut diamond. Here are some photos.

June 2007

Then I was on to the next task, deciding on a setting. Althought Whiteflash did have several great settings, I decided that I wanted something a little more one-of-a-kind. Tracy recommended Mark Morrell (www.mwmjewelry.com) and she even helped me get in contact with him. This was a big help because Mark is a very very busy craftsman who’s projects often if not always require several months to complete because he is in such high-demand.

After consulting with Mark, we decided on a unique setting that would be a hybrid between his “DJ” setting and a setting he did for Nathan (Both of which can be seen on his homepage).

More about the ring…
    The ring shank, after the diamonds is approximately 2.3 mm wide. It has 3 diamonds on each side of center. The smallest diamond on each side is 2.3mm in diameter. The largest is 3.2 mm in diameter. It has 0.48 ct. of F-G, VS fine make diamonds in the ring body and another ~0.06 ct. of the same grade diamonds in the crown. The center stone and all 6 of the side-stones feature Mark’s signature "Heart tip" prongs.

Septemberr 2007

After waiting about 3 months, Mark was finally done with my ring. It is absolutely gorgeous! Pictures of my ring can be seen directly on his website at, http://www.mwmjewelry.com/DiNi_1.313-F-SI1_AGS-0_900pt-mtg_0.56-F-G_VS_Custom_/index.html

October 2007

Here’s where it all goes South…

Just as I was about to receive my ring and prepare my proposal I found out some heart-breaking news about my girlfriend. She had been seeing someone else for the past 6 months! This came totally out of left field and completely floored me. I didn’t know what to do, I love her so much and never imagined my life without her, but after a lot of thought, I realized that things could never be the same. This is truly the hardest thing I have ever had to go through

So now here I am. Stuck with an absolutely breath-taking ring but no one to give it to. I took out a loan for the majority of the cost of the ring, which I was planning to pay back over time, but now with no real purpose for the ring, I am having second thoughts about that plan. If I could afford it, I would just keep the ring and save it for later on in my life when hopefully I will meet another to give it to. But as it stands now, I am 24 with limited income. It makes more sense for me to attempt to unload the ring and recoup some of my expenses.

The ring is still with Mark. It has never been given to anyone or worn and therefore I don’t believe that it is “cursed”. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what to do, it would be greatly appreciated!

2. You could consign it. Some jewelers will take pieces on consignment and you might be able to recoup your $. As for your heart :sad:well you could take the money, save it and buy something awesome! Sorry...

3. that's terrible. i'm really sorry to hear that.

4. Ohhh, that is horrible news. I am sorry you're going through this.

I don't have any suggestions. I know some high end jewellery stores here (Canada) will buy back their rings but being that the diamond was purchased from one place and the setting from another, I don't know what options you have.

5. That is very sad...

I agree, you could consign it. I also saw an article about a website for selling rings when one party had a change of heart. It was idonowidont.com. I guess you could consider doing E-bay as well...

6. im so sorry....

is there anyway you can talk to guy who make the ring and whom you purchased the diamond from and see what they say...they might be able to point you in the right direction??

7. I'm so sorry that this happened to you. The ring is absolutely stunning. If you haven't already posted this on Pricescope, you might do so. Maybe someone will have some suggestions.

8. Wow, that does suck!!!

I hope you get a good out come here, all things considered.

Good luck with trying to sell it on Pricescope, or asking for advice there!!!

Its a pity you cant keep it for `one day` but its not worth going into debt over for sure.

Luckily you have chosen a very tasteful design and a fabulous diamond. It should be easy to sell.

9. Brokenheart88, I am very sorry this happened to you. Try to sell it, I mean it's not worth going into debt for this w***e. Hope you work everything out and hopefully you'll be able to get all the money you paid for this beautiful ring. (hugs to you).

10. Oh how awful.
    I agree with the majority here. I would sell it to rid yourself of the debt. No use having a beautiful ring hanging around, which could get lost or stolen in the years to come.
    I would definately ask the diamond ppl and Mark if you have any viable options with them first... I believe that would net you the most money. If that doesn't pan out, I would try other avenues before eBay.

I just have to add that the setting is absolutely gorgeous!!! The designer is fantastic.

Best of luck to you brokenhearted... so sorry.

11. Absolutely gorgeous ring - any woman would be lucky to have it. I am so sorry for what happened, you deserve better.
    I agree with the others, there is no use holding on to the ring and having the debt. Perhaps you could ask Mark for advise.
    Good luck!

12. You won't be able to sell your ring on Pricescope...that's not permitted:nogood: But someone might be able to advise you who takes consignments with a decent return to you!! You can also speak with the folks at WF and Mark to see if they have any suggestions. WF has a buy back policy on their diamonds. You would have to check it out with them. The ring is so nice--and has never been worn--maybe someone would want it in their inventory. Good luck in this difficult situation.

13. So sorry your going thru this. But you know what, better to find out now then married with 4 kids. That would cost you ALOT more. Save the ring. Put it away, you will be getting married one day. I hope you dumped her!

14. I am so sorry that this is happening to you. I think the advice given so far has been really great - check with the folks on Pricescope to see if they have suggestions, and definitely talk to someone at WF. Good luck, and I hope that you are able to get over this soon.

15. First of, I do not think that is good to keep it for passing over the next girlfriend. Do not hold up things that remind the bad.

Second, with the kind of debt you are carrying, would be best to resell if I were you.

Good luck!