So sad...

1. Sorry this is going to be a long post because I just need to vent a little bit and I think most people here are kindhearted enough to understand a little of what I'm going through...

I am very sad to say that my cat Pumpkin was killed by a coyote over the weekend (on my birthday!). She was one of my two cats - the other is Nala. Both cats are outdoor cats...but I always make sure they are in the house as soon as it gets dark and my family usually does also since I nag them so much to make sure the cats are inside. Usually when I get home if Pumpkin is still outside she is waiting for me on the front steps. I got home about 11pm and she wasn't on the steps so I thought she was in the house - looked everywhere for her and couldn't find her. So I went back outside and called for her some more and still couldn't find her. At that point I called my brother because I was freaking out. Its totally not like Pumpkin to not come when she is called or to stay out at night since she was such a chicken. My other cat Nala would stay out all night if I let her. So my brother was on his way home and we went looking with flashlights and found a bunch of her fur in the backyard and some blood but no sign of the cat. We searched til about 2:30am and I went out again in the morning as soon as it was light out but couldn't find any other trace of her. At first I was just hoping that she got attacked but managed to get away and was just hiding but its been a couple days and there is no sign of her so I've pretty much accepted that she is gone.

I'm not positive that it was a coyote but I don't know what else it could've been....we don't really have any other animals around here that would attack a cat. Plus after I went around the neighborhood to warn people they mentioned they had seen a coyote around.

I think right now I'm probably more shocked than anything - I don't think it has completely sunk in yet. I keep looking for her and then remember that she is gone. All I have left is the fur I picked up from the backyard. I know to some people pets are not part of the family but Pumpkin was like a child to me. She was born to a semi-feral mother (lived under a porch and was fed scraps by an old lady). I rescued her when she was only 4wks old when the mother cat was run over and the kittens were abandoned. Out of the 4 kittens she was the only one that survived. I had her for almost 9 years. I know you are not supposed to pick favorites with pets but she was definitely my favorite and it is so hard knowing that I'll never see her again :crybaby:

So everyone who has pets - please be careful....I don't want anyone else to have to go through this!
  2. Oh - I totally forgot to say. I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do with the fur I saved. I know that might seem kinda morbid but I want to do something with it. I always thought I would have her cremated but since I don't have anything to cremate I'm not really sure what to do. I was thinking about maybe getting a locket and putting some of the fur in the locket. I was looking online for options but was getting too upset to really think about what to do. If anyone has suggestions I would really appreciate it....Thanks!
  3. First of all, I am SO sorry! I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a pet!

(I'm asking my cat, Lucky, to look out for Pumpkin in Kitty Heaven. They can play together!)
  4. Oh I am so sorry! Thats horrible to find some fur and blood in your yard... have you checked around the surrounding trees? Did your cat have claws and maybe could have possibly climbed up somewhere injured? So sad, I hope your kitty really wasn't killed. I"m sorry for everything you're going through right now though.
  5. I'm so sorry about your kitty. That is exactly the reason none of mine are allowed outside unless I am with them. I would worry myself sick. When my dog Angel died I had an urn made and put her ashes in there. I sent a pic of Angel to the person that made the urn and she painted it to look like Angel. You could do that with her fur. Again I am so sorry. I know how horrible it is to lose a pet. Here is the cat version of the urn I bought.
  6. wahh! I'm so sorry for your loss : ( I have to be careful of wild animals with my poodle too. I saw a giant hawk of some sort dive for her once. My dog is only 5lbs. anyway I can see why you would want to keep her fur to remember her about putting in box glass frame (@pottery barn for about $30) with a picture of could be like a in memory box.
  7. Put her fur in a container, like the one mentioned above, and set it in an east facing window.
  8. Just wanted to send you a virtual *HUG*.
  9. *BIG HUG* I am so sorry. That is so sad. Hang in there.
    For the fur, I heard about how someone put the fur in a heart locket, and I thought that was a cute idea.
  10. I'm so sorry. This happened to my aunt and uncle. They had a mini dachshund and they saw it happen!! It was uncle ran in the garage to get a golf club and it was too late. It's just horrible. Keep looking though....I'm holding out hope that maybe Pumpkin is around somewhere.
  11. So very sorry, we have a cat who is almost 19 years old, when he was 8 he took off once for a week. We thought he'd been killed by a coyote also. Not so, just off doing what comes natural to cats I guess. Hope yours returns too.
  12. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat..I know how it feels to lose a pet. My regards. *Hugs*
  13. Oh my gosh How terrible! I am so so sorry! :crybaby: I hope Pumpkin got away and will return home. Hugs to you! :heart:
  14. Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry. It's like losing your best friend. *hugs*
  15. Thank you everyone for your kind words. I am still hoping that she returns but at this point I don't think it is likely.

Cindi - thank you for posting the urn. I like the idea of having it painted to look like Pumpkin. I'll probably end up getting that or a silver box and have her name engraved on it. I don't want to order anything yet though because a little part of me is still hoping that she will come home. I'll probably also take a little bit of the fur and put it in a locket.

On a side note - I called animal control today to let them know and was told that they can't do anything unless there is proof that it was a coyote and even then it would have to attack a human before they will do anything. I also found out that 2 cats went missing on the next street in mid-August and that a coyote was suspected. I'm beyond angry at this point because there was no notification that a coyote had been spotted in the neighborhood. I live in a fairly residential area with lots of pets and little kids. You would think that someone might want to send out a flyer or something to tell people to be careful. I already talked to people on my street to ask them to look out for Pumpkin in case she comes back and to be careful with their own kids and pets. I think tonight I will go on the other streets around me since the town is not planning on notifying anyone