SO SAD - Progeria

1. I dont know if there have been TV programmes about this in the US but its to sad :crybaby: :crybaby:

This is Heyley she has a rare Disease called "Progeria" a rare, fatal genetic condition characterized by an appearance of accelerated aging in children.
    Although sufferers are born looking healthy, children with Progeria begin to display many characteristics of accelerated aging at around 18-24 months of age. Progeria signs include growth failure, loss of body fat and hair, aged-looking skin, stiffness of joints, hip dislocation, generalized atherosclerosis, cardiovascular (heart) disease and stroke. The children have a remarkably similar appearance, despite differing ethnic background. Children with Progeria die of atherosclerosis (heart disease) at an average age of thirteen years (with a range of about 8 - 21 years). There are only 45 known cases of this around the world. :crybaby:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

there is more about it on http://www.progeriaresearch.org and http://hayleyspage.com/index.htm

2. There was an article about that this past summer on MSNBC.com. I remember reading about it late at night and crying when I read some of the transcripts.

3. its so sad there have been two TV programmes about it here, following Heyleys life. She is such a happy girl and I feel so sad :crybaby:

4. there have been programs here in the states over the years. very tragic illness

5. i've read about this disease, and watched shows... it IS very sad... yet so intriguing!! The human body is so fascinating and delicate... a few substitutions or deletions in the DNA... and the results can be devastating!

6. I've watched TV shows about this...it's so sad!
    There's only 45 cases in the whole world??? I'm assuming research on this disease doesn't get much funding then?

7. No, not much funding for it at all. Heyleys family are trying to get more funding but its so hard :sad:

8. That is the sadest thing :crybaby: Poor girl. Hopefully these specials will bring awarness to people and possible future funding for research.

9. That is so sad.

10. That is so sad!!! Their have been shows here in the US about this condition it's so tragic!

11. I saw something on TLC about it. So sad!

12. That is so heart breaking!!!

13. I've seen many shows on this and it breaks my:heart: everytime.

14. I've seen this devastating disease many times on Television. On Thursday it was on "Maury" on SKYTV. Just breaks my heart.

15. yes I remeber once watching the Maury show, its not on here in the UK anymore and that was a great show, covering issues like this. So sad :crybaby: