So how do I ask for a job?

1. Ok so here's the deal: I've been donating my time with a company over the last 7 months now (one a week) and having a blast. As a student i am finishing school soon and want to ask for a job. This is the best company
    ever, I get along great with everyone, i love the direction its going in and everything! But here's the thing, i have a competition. Although many of the member of staff have given me complements such as: "You're the best intern we have ever had" and "We trust you to stay on the X level with Y" etc. I'm the only intern that was given a Christmas staff present because "I'm part of the family" which are all great things to hear but if they have such a heavy flow of interns why would they want to pay to get the work done when its offered free (on a different level the "why pay for the cow when you get the milk for free?" attitude) As i would soon ask for a job, I recently asked some of the staff to put in a good word for me, all of which happily obliged.

Ok so heres what i was planning on saying when i get the chance to talk the appropriate person face to face:
    "I've been with your company for a few months now, and it's unfortunate that I have to leave due to studying commitments, i have enjoyed every minute and can't wait to get into the industry. When my studies are finished I will be looking for a career and was wondering if you would be able to help me out? I feel very at home here i am on great terms with all the members of staff, I love the product and frankly couldn't imagine working for any other company. I really thank you for the experience and all the assistance you have offered me." So was that ok? I will let the other person respond during that and won't make it seem so rehearsed.
  2. i would just thank them for the opportunity they have given you and say that they are a company you would love to work for properly. explain that its a nice working environment and you feel comfortable there and like the product too. even if they cant give you a job its a good connection to have for references and things in the future
  3. I would avoid phrases like "Help me out." You don't want to come across as begging for a position. You should probably also include why having you work for them would be beneficial to them (what you wrote is the opposite-why the company is perfect for you).

Type up your resume perfectly (check, check and recheck for typos and grammar errors) making sure that you carefully detail what you did at the company (but don't exaggerate) and include the employees that said they'd act as your references.

When your time there is done, I'd thank your superiors, give them your resume and tell them that if anything opens in the company, you'd really like to be considered for the position.
  4. If you are going to school, then you aren't really asking for a job, you're letting them know you are interested in working for them in the future, if I'm reading your post correctly. So, you should say something more like, "I have loved donating my time and talen here for so long, but I have to go to school and better my situation. When I have my degree, I hope you'll consider me for a full-time paid position."
  5. I love this type of situation: when I was a director at an investment bank, all the graduate interns used to come around and, forgive my language, 'suck up' to get an offer for a permanent analyst position after they graduate even though they have never spoken to me before in the 10 or however many weeks.

Of course, I always smile and say that I will consider to all of them but in my head, I knew who was and who was not cutting it. So what the interns said did not really matter much because I think that an internship is like one long interview anyway. If you are the right material you don't need to ask, they will come and ask you.

But assuming this is not the case, then I think jillybean's suggestion is best. It is discrete and proper. In any case, whoever is going to accept you is not going to decide there and then because the cost of hiring one person is actually very high (and I am sure that in your industry that will be the same). All this: I love your company and the culture here is all water but no substance. You do not know what it is really like and I have heard that out of 10,000 mouths before!

EDIT: Don't say 'it's unfortunate that I have to leave due to studying commitments.' I know you are a student. Don't say 'I love the product and frankly couldn't imagine working for any other company.' Too much 'sucking up' and let's be honest unrealistic. Don't say 'i am on great terms with all the members of staff.' Do you really know that? Did people who I said I will consider, out of politeness, know that I already knew who was good or bad?

Do say: I have learnt a lot. Do say: I would like to continue/complete [insert your own phrase]. Continue/complete are two 'cool' words, LOL. Do say: Where do you think I can improve myself to make me [insert your own phrase]? I am always impressed by people who are always striving to get better - shows lots of drive/commitment.