Snakeskin :(

I know this is going to be controversial, but it's all leather, other animals, cows, lambs, ostrich etc are all bred for the same purpose, these are no different really. I don't have any love/hate views by the way, just saying!

Totally agree with you! As long as the animal is treated humanely I don't see any difference between cow and snake leather!!

Reactions: Perfect Day
There is actually a big difference. Ostrich, calf, lamb et al are not CITES-covered, endangered species. But many kinds of snakes are.

So by using even captivity-bred, real snakeskin and other exotics, Mulberry is sending out the message that using them cool/glam/in/desirable. And that creates a huge secondary demand market from other brands as well who copycat the top designers' current trends. And those other secondary brands, given their far lower product prices, are definitely not harvesting their self-farmed critters, but most probably buying from poacher supply, and those most definitely don´t care whether their prey is U.N. protected or not.

There is actually a big difference. Ostrich, calf, lamb et al are not CITES-covered, endangered species. But many kinds of snakes are.

So by using even captivity-bred, real snakeskin and other exotics, Mulberry is sending out the message that using them cool/glam/in/desirable. And that creates a huge secondary demand market from other brands as well who copycat the top designers' current trends. And those other secondary brands, given their far lower product prices, are definitely not harvesting their self-farmed critters, but most probably buying from poacher supply, and those most definitely don´t care whether their prey is U.N. protected or not.

Thank you for clarifying so beautifully.
Another difference for me is that I EAT cow (and goat, and sheep etc). There is a value to the whole of the animal, not just the leather.

I really hope they phase snakeskin out.