Slightly disappointed - what should I do?

1. Well, I finally took the plunge and bought my first Bbag. I had hoped to be all enthusiastic now that it's arrived today. But I'm actually rather disappointed.

I'd decided to wait until I could see the bags for myself, as it's a lot of money to spend on something I might not like if I bought unseen. So I checked out the Bbags in Holt Renfrew, Toronto.

To my surprise, I wasn't keen on the City or Part-time bags on me, but fell completely in love with a Giant Hobo with gold hardware in Anthracite. It was perfect. So that's what I ordered from Bal Paris.

When I opened it up, instead of the gorgeous, almost teal colouring I'd adored in HF, I saw instead an extremely dark grey, almost black bag. It's nice, but it's just not the same one I fell in love with.

They only had a very few left at Bal Paris and I really don't know what to do, whether they'd even consider exchanging it for me - or whether they even have the shade I loved. Perhaps I might grow to love this one in time?

Please could you give me any help and advice? I've attached a pic of the bag so you can see it for yourselves.

Balenciaga1.jpg
  2. Maybe it is plomb??

3. Oh wow I like it! I think it's steel, not anthracite though. Personally I prefer steel but it doesn't have the greenish/teal undertones, it has more navy undertones. Why don't you wait a day or two, try her out around the house, see if she fits your wardrobe and then decide?

4. hmmm... it does look more steel than anthracite, maybe thats why you're not in love with it?... but I think you should try it out for a few days before making a decision... Bbags have a way of growing on you... good luck...

5. You can't buy the bag you fell in love with in Toronto?

6. I've just rung Bal Paris and they're completely insistent that it's Anthracite and that the colour should be an almost black grey, not with any blue or green. I asked about variations in the leather dying process, but they said that didn't happen. In fact, they were quite unhelpful.

On the receipt description, there's a code - 8025466021. I don't suppose if anyone can tell me whether that is Anthracite, please?

The more I look at it, the more disappointed I am. I just wish I'd bought the one in Toronto now, despite the large price difference.

7. I was only on holiday there and decided to order from Paris, where the price is considerably cheaper. I'm back home now, unfortunately. I feel so annoyed with myself for not buying it then and there.

When Holt Renfrew open later today, I may well ring them and ask for the code number. They called it "dark grey" - which I assumed to be Anthracite, also judging from the colour, which I remembered seeing in photos here.

8. aww! i hate that! i would say if you dont love it, pay for it somewhere else. if you cannot return it to balparis, then store credit might be the answer! its your first bbag--you gotta have something you love. good luck :sad:

9. Nice bag! Don't think it's steel though, cos it looks a lot more blue than my steel/plomb City.

10. Wouldn't the season codes be different for anthracite and steel (plomb)? I think anthracite would be 2007 1 (s/s) and steel would be 2007 3 (f/w)? Somebody correct me if I am wrong. BTW, the bag does look like steel, I think it is gorgeous!

11. Thanks to you all for your support. It really is making me feel better.

gwen - That's very helpful. I've just checked inside the inner pocket and there's some coding printed on a card there. The first part says "2007 1", so I assume it must be Anthracite, after all.

You know, I'm starting to think that I've got the colour names wrong. I seem to remember that there were bags in HF of a very similar colour. I assumed that they were Steel/Plomb. The bag I loved was definitely a different colour, but the SA could only find the colour name "Dark Grey" for it. (I wish there was a standardised list of colours that all stores used - it would be so much easier.)

Perhaps the one I loved wasn't Anthracite at all?

I'll let you know what the SA at HF says about the colour code once I've spoken to her. I'm not convinced Bal Paris will exchange it, though, just because I got the colour wrong - especially as they weren't very helpful when I spoke to them earlier today.

The bag certainly isn't horrible. It's just that the other colour immediately looked fantastic on me and this just looks okay, albeit very smart.

Let this be a warning to anyone daft enough to do what I did and leave behind the colour you adore in order to save some cash! Now here's what I feel like doing to myself for being so stupid - :bagslap: !!!!

12. Well, it's very annoying that they charge over retail in Canada ... why do they do that? How much over retail are they on the giant hobo?

13. I think I'm going insane.

After taking note of those of you who said to try it around the house a little, my initial :sad: feeling may actually be starting to turn more :love:.

Maybe it's that famous chameleon Anthracite quality, but it certainly does look different in various types of light. It seemed so black and dull at first, but I tried it on in more natural light and there's much more of a very dark blue sheen to it which looks fabulous with my indigo jeans.

Whilst I disagree with the Bal Paris SA about variations in colour dyes, from what I've seen for myself, I am now convinced that this is Anthracite and not Plomb. And I'm starting to like it.

Can I just say thank you again for all of your help and advice. This is definitely the place to come for anything Balenciaga bag-wise. I've been really touched by your kindness, especially that of a lovely member called Pumma - who went out of her way to give me help as I loved the colour of her Periwinkle bag.

I think I'm probably going to keep my now-not-a-disappointment Anthracite after all!

14. I know! It's really unfair for Canadians, especially as they're just over the border from the much less expensive US. Mind you, everything in Canada is usually tons cheaper for those of us in the Rip-off land UK!

The Giant Hobo was about C$1365, if I remember rightly, and that's without taxes of 14%. I paid 875 Euros, plus 27 Euros delivery from Paris, including tax.

Still, I think overpriced BBags must be a small price to pay for living in such a fabulous country as Canada. I really, really wish I lived there. I love it sooooooo much!

15. Oooooh! I just wanted to add that Holt Renfrew in Toronto had a fab selection of bags. For anyone not bothered about paying over the odds, the had a couple of bags in Violet (including a City with RSH), a Sandstone Part-time, a couple of Plomb/Steel (at least I think they were Plomb), a couple of gorgeously coloured bags (including my beloved Giant Hobo) in what I thought were Anthracite and more.