"Slight Discoloration"

1. Got a q, on the COACH Patent Gallery Tote what does it mean when it has a slight discoloration? And how do you get rid of it?

Please advise thanks!
  2. ... I have NO idea what a "slight discoloration" on patent leather could possibly be, but it sounds dangerous!
  3. Is it a white tote? I would think that one would yellow, but I wouldn't think the others would discolor. Either way, I wouldn't buy it.
  4. ditto..heard of the white ones yellowing...or getting "rub off" from other sources (ie - denim)

5. Is there a way to get rid of it?
  6. Can you get rid of it?
  7. I don't think it is easy to get rid of any discoloration on patent leather. If it has yellowed from light I doubt you can improve it. If it has rub off, it MIGHT be able to be improved. It depends on what is on it and if the finish is damaged. My advice is to leave it alone. It has disappointment written all over it!
  8. I agree, if it is yellowed, then there really isn't anything you can do about it.
  9. Yeah the downside of white bags..
  10. I saw this on the handbags forum, someone posted tips from In Style. Patent LeatherSeparate light patent leathers from darker-hued bags to avoid discoloration. To clean, take a piece of cheesecloth, dampen with a bit of white vinegar and rub. Wipe off with a clean piece of fabric.

11. And you think it will work???
  12. I haven't tried it, just passing along what I saw. Maybe do a little research online about patent leather care. Or give Coach a call. good luck!
  13. Mmm - I'm a patent leather lover, and have many things in the LV vernis line, but truth is that light colored patents will absorb dyes from newsprint, paper ink, fabric and other dye sources.

I was sorely tempted by the white when Coach had it in the boutiques, but noticed that the white patent minis that were displayed next to other leathers had already been mared. And the very nice SA said it had been a nightmare keeping the white pristine.
  14. Don't purchase this bag with a slight discoloration. It is so not worth it. Get yourself a new patent leather bag in either red, black or mahogany. The Coach Ergo No. 11009 will be available in red on May 7th and Mahogany sometime in June. You can get the black now but please stay away from the white.