Skinny vs. Straight Leg Jeans ... which do you prefer?

Which jeans do you prefer?

• Skinnies

• Straight Leg

Results are only viewable after voting.
Skinny jeans. :heart:
I wear them all the time although fashionistas says they are out.. but, whatever. ;]

According to certain magazines, everything is 'out' almost before it even hits the shelves; so I don't worry, either!

If we want to still have a world, with some dry land on it, to live in in 20 years, we need to stop being told that things are 'in' one season, 'out' the next and then 'in' again the next (or stop believing it! ;) ).

Fast fashion is 'out' IMO. :yes:

I prefer skinnies, because I am short and I look weird wearing straight leg :sad: makes me look shorter and they don't fit well at the thighs... What are some good brands you girls would recommend?? Any faves? :biggrin: I would love to try the straight leg look!

I just got a pair of True Religion "Billy" jeans ... my thighs look big in skinnies.
How do the Billy jeans fit? Straight leg? Any good? :smile:

A lot of people mistake straight leg for tapered jeans, and a lot of jeans mislabel themselves as straight when in fact they are tapered (ankle is narrower than the knee). Tapered jeans are old-lady jeans or mom jeans while straight leg are a great alternative for shorter women who look even shorter or thicker in boot cut or flares.

I totally agree with that :smile:

I'm only 5ft nothing and skinnies do nothing to elongate my legs. I like the way I can wear straight leg jeans longer with heels.

if skinny jeans are "out of style" then whats in style? i heard the wide legs are in this season. oh boy
Yes, not to change topic but just checked around NM site and it seems everything is still in style. I haven't purchased jeans in about 3 years. My last purchases were a pair of Blue Cult and Jill Stuart (low rise) both with a flares. Are they outdated? Also, not to sound stupid but I guess skinny jeans are tight the whole leg where straight is a little looser?

Yes, not to change topic but just checked around NM site and it seems everything is still in style. I haven't purchased jeans in about 3 years. My last purchases were a pair of Blue Cult and Jill Stuart (low rise) both with a flares. Are they outdated? Also, not to sound stupid but I guess skinny jeans are tight the whole leg where straight is a little looser?

Pretty much any style of jean is 'in' at the moment, well except tapered or those awful baggy high waisted jeans (I think those are what you guys call Mom jeans?) Skinny (They are fitted all the way down the leg, Sass & Bide do really nice very skinny ones), Straight leg (They are fitted on the thighs and then fall down straight from the knee), wide leg and flares or bootcut. Don't know the brands you mentioned but flares are definitely 'in' as long as they are fitted on the thighs. Hope all that makes sense :smile:

eta: There's a big trend towards high waisted jeans (of the non Mom variety) but I'll stick to the comfort of low rise thanks :smile:

yeah on NM, everything is in style... thats fun hahah. i still don't own a pair of skinny skinny jeans, only cigarette type. i think i'm going to buy a pair... whats better? seven or citizens or j brand cigarette??

Oh, how I wish I could wear skinny jeans!
They look funny on me because I'm petite and they make my legs look shorter and make my booty look wider. :yucky:

Even some straight legs look all wrong on me, as well.

Though, I'm not a huge fan of slightly flared jeans, they are the only ones that balance out my hips. But, then even the flared legs can be too flared...ahhh!

Do any of you find 'straight legs" to still be too "skinny'?

i must admit i own a LOT of skinny jeans but i prefer straight leg because it has a timeless appeal. for the most part, skinnies seem to look best only on certain types of bodies (even though i'm a size 24, i still feel self conscious about my thighs), but it seems straight leg jeans compliment most body types and though skinnies have been very in style for the last couple of years, they are a huge fad and in time, if it hasn't already, will become outdated (imo)
i can't help but be drawn to skinnies bc theyre just so damn cute but straight leg will never be out of style, i think. =)
i own skinnies in earnest sewn, j brand, goldsign
and a whole bunch of straight leg. i will forever continue to shop for straightleg, you can never have enough

and yes, Butterfly*, i find that a lot of straight legs are still too "skinny"... a lot of my straight legs are pretty tight around my calves but the only difference is the leg opening at the bottom. skinnies usually are PAINTED onto my legs up until the very end, whereas straight legs have more room at the ankles.

Skinnies, but I have a weird body shape so I can never get them to be skinny enough on my legs for the intended effect without them being too small on my hips.

I like the look, but it takes some effort to find things that work.

Oh, how I wish I could wear skinny jeans!
They look funny on me because I'm petite and they make my legs look shorter and make my booty look wider. :yucky:

Even some straight legs look all wrong on me, as well.

Though, I'm not a huge fan of slightly flared jeans, they are the only ones that balance out my hips. But, then even the flared legs can be too flared...ahhh!

Do any of you find 'straight legs" to still be too "skinny'?

Have you tried wearing straight legs, or skinnies, with slouchy, or chunky boots (worn outside the jeans and ideally, in a lightish-to-medium colour [e.g. tan, grey, or lightish brown] and with a thickish, slightly [but not too] tapered heel and small platform)?

They provide the width at the ankle and lower leg that you would otherwise get from a bootleg cut (to balance the hips) and in the case of the ones with the thickish, slightly tapered heel, elongate the leg. :yes: