Skin Care 40+

i really like chanel sublimage as well - $350 face cream, $160 eye cream. I use natura 50% glycolic and the brightening serum to help w/ my hyperpigmentation. I'll try their diamond face/eye cream once my chanel runs out. If you found something good, stick with it even though it is pricey$$. imo smooth flawless skin is more important than the latest It bag.

Time and time again the Olay products beat the expensive products when a beauty magazine, tv show or consumer reports have tested them. Take a look at this article courtesy of consumer reports. Sorry, it's kind of long...

Wrinkle creams

Selling hope in a jar

wrinkle_cream_1.jpg
NO MIRACLES Some brands, such as Olay, worked better than others. But wrinkle creams on average made little difference in the skin’s appearance.

We’ve heard the claims: A “break*through in herbaceutical science” (Avon Anew Alternative). “Regenerate damaged skin” (Olay Regenerist). Have your wrinkles “virtually slept away” (Lancôme Rénergie). Americans spend more than a billion dollars a year on those wrinkle potions and others.

In our first test of wrinkle creams (performed in partnership with--who else?--the French), we found that after 12 weeks our top-rated products did smooth out some fine lines and wrinkles. But even the best performers reduced the average depth of wrinkles by less than 10 percent, a magnitude of change that was, alas, barely visible to the naked eye.

Moreover, the luxury-priced skin-care offerings didn’t work any better than the drugstore brands. La Prairie Cellular, the most costly product we tested ($335 for an ounce of day cream and 1.7 ounces of night cream) was among the least effective. Our top-rated product line, available at a drugstore near you, is Olay Regenerist--as it happens, the nation’s best-selling brand of wrinkle cream--which cost about $19 apiece for the “enhancing lotion,” “perfecting cream,”and “regenerating serum” combination that the company recommends.

There was no correlation at all between price and effectiveness.

January 2007
Ratings Wrinkle creams

Olay Lancôme

Availability Most products available through January 2007.

In performance order.
indicates Quick Pick. Excellent Very good Good Fair Poor

Product Price
(night/day) Type Test results

SLIGHTLY MORE EFFECTIVE

Olay Regenerist (Enhancing Lotion, Perfecting Cream and Daily Regenerating Serum)
$19/19/19 Night/Day/Serum 15
Lancôme Paris Rénergie
88/88 Night/Day None
RoC Retin-Ox+
70/65 Night/Day 15
AVERAGE PERFORMANCE

Neutrogena Visibly Firm Night Cream With Active Copper
19/19 Night/Day 20
Avon Anew Alternative Intensive Age Treatment
32/32 Night/Day 25
L'Oréal Paris Dermo-Expertise Wrinkle De-Crease With Boswelox Advanced Wrinkle Corrector & Dermo Smoother
20/20 Night/Day None
StriVectin-SD Intensive Concentrate for Existing Stretch Marks
135 One type None
SLIGHTLY LESS EFFECTIVE

La Prairie Cellular
185/150 Night/Day 15
RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle
20/20 Night/Day

I am really liking the DDF "Dramatic Radiance TRF Cream". I have had it about a month and a half, and have only used about half the bottle. It is a light, non-greasy moisturizer, and I really think it is helping my skin tone.

Another thing that I tried recently that I liked is Lancome High Resolution Eye with Collaser-48. The SA told me that it had caffeine in it. I was out shopping with a girlfriend, and she got a makeover at the Lancome counter where they put a little of this on her. It worked so well on her that I bought some, and really liked it. You dab a little bit on your under-eye, and it helps pouf up the area so the bags aren't as noticable. BUT, I did notice that after a couple of hours, the effect seemed to wear off, and my eyes looked just as bad as before. (But if you're only going out for a couple of hours and want to look good, I'd recommend this.)

Teesa - Amore Pacific actually has this type of product, Treatment Cleansing Oil. I was a bit skeptical when I first heard about it, it didn't make much sense that I should be washing my face with an oily product, especially since my skin is oily to begin with. But this product actually works very well and it is a perfect eye makeup remover.

Amore Pacific? I will check it out! Where can I get it?

suzi..thanks for a great and informative article! I have read things like this in the past as well.. more pricey does not always mean a better product. Alot of people buy the name. And I am guilty of that too. I have used expensive and drugstore products..all the way down to homemade remedies.

suzi..thanks for a great and informative article! I have read things like this in the past as well.. more pricey does not always mean a better product. Alot of people buy the name. And I am guilty of that too. I have used expensive and drugstore products..all the way down to homemade remedies.

I'm guilty too.:P I've used the expensive stuff on the cruise ships which didn't make a difference. I'm using Estee Lauder right now but I haven't seen any results with that either. It's probably the fact that I keep going out in the sun. I know it's a big no no but I hate when I'm so pale. I'm going to switch to Olay and see what happens. I'll be the guinea pig. I'm all for hope in a jar.

I use a mix of drugstore and expensive, too! I use cetaphil for my soap, used to use Olay, and thought it was fine. Every now and then I get sucked in by the advertising...

I just have to tell you guys, I bought some of the new Olay Definity Eye Illuminator, thinking that I was falling for another product that won't be a miracle - but I was impressed when I used it!

After putting it under my eyes, it looked like I was wearing a little concealer! It really does illuminate. I have industrial strength undereye circles, so I still do need concealer, but maybe you ladies w/o dark circles could even get away with only the Olay.

I know it sounds like an infomercial, LOL, but I was so pleasantly surprised.

I used Obagi products for about a year as my doctor said they would improve my skin texture...I didn't really notice much except my skin kept peeling for about 3 months. They said this was normal. Now I use skinceuticals syrum 20 and I think it works pretty well...but these are not over the counter products.
I think the best thing I have done is SPF50 everyday since I was in my early 30's and NO tanning. I get the spray tan thing in the summer and it looks great and I don't have to lay in the sun and sweat or ruin my skin in a tanning bed!

I've gotten my best results from simple and natural products, especially rosehip oil.

I've also been using MaMa Lotion for about two months, and its visibly "brightened" my complexion and faded some age spots. I'm using sample tubes I bought on EBay, but a full bottle is reasonably priced at around $40.

I am 47 as on last Saturday and for skin care I have been using a product from Japan called DHC. They have a web ste. I really like it and my 23 year old daughter has found products that work well for her also. I use Chanel makeup, but did not think the lotions, cleansers, etc were worth it. I highly reccomend them, DHC that is.:okay: