Sisters face stoning for adultery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Very disturbing, I hope that something can be done to prevent the barbaric punishment being imposed on these women.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23160648-12377,00.html

From correspondents in Tehran | February 04, 2008

TWO Iranian sisters convicted of adultery face being stoned to death after the supreme court upheld the death sentences against them, the Etemad newspaper reported.

The two sisters were found guilty of adultery – a capital crime in Islamic Iran – after the husband of one of the pair presented video evidence showing them in the company of other men while he was away.

"Branch 23 of the supreme court has confirmed the stoning sentence," said their lawyer, Jabbar Solati.

The penal court of Tehran province had already sentenced the two sisters identified only as Zohreh, 27, and Azar (no age given) to stoning, the daily said.

Mr Solati explained that the two sisters had initially been tried for "illegal relations" and received 99 lashes. However in a second trial they were convicted of "adultery".

The pair admitted they were in the video presented by the husband but argued there was no adultery as no scene on the video showed them engaged in a sexual act with the other men.

"There is no legal evidence whereby the judge could reach the knowledge for issuing a stoning sentence," Mr Solati said, adding that he had appealed to the state prosecutor.

"The two sisters have been tried twice for one crime," Mr Solati protested.

Under Iran's Islamic law, adultery is theoretically punishable by stoning although in late 2002 judiciary head Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi issued a writ suspending such executions.

However in July 2007, Jafar Kiani was stoned to death for adultery in a village in the northwestern province of Qazvin in a rare execution by stoning that provoked a wave of international outrage.

Capital offences in Iran include murder, rape, armed robbery, serious drug trafficking and adultery. Iran currently makes more use of the death penalty – almost always by hanging – than any other country apart from China.

2. I'd like to know the reasoning behind punishing adultery with death.

3. Back in the day, in issues of paternity, the only way to guarantee that a certain man was the father was for women to remain chaste. Unfortunately, this means that a lot of paternalistic violence has been written on women's bodies.. and of course, practices carried forward to an era where they are outdated.

4. This is so wrong.

5. I have trouble believing that things like this still happen. I mean, stoning? for adultery? WTF? That is so barbaric that my mind has trouble processing it. And the fact that it is a crime to begin with is outrageous. It has nothing to do with the state or an act violating another's rights or well being. While adultery is not something that I can condone at all, I don't think that it should be a matter of public law. But since it is, the women were already tried for that incident, found guilty under a lesser offense, and punished. It should be over and done with. I hope that something can be done for them.

6. Some cultures are never gonna change. I don't know why the rest of the world keeps expecting them to...or act suprised when they do the same old stuff.

7. Since the story in this thread is politically/religiously based, I am going to close this thread and let megs decide if it should be reopened. Just a reminder: megs and vlad do not allow religious or political threads to be posted here. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.