Simplify Your Shopping List with 2 Meals from Same Ingredients

1. Hi - this is a bad title, but I couldn't think of what else to call it.

I am a cooking/shopping/budget challenged tPFer. I wanted to collect a list of main dishes followed by secondary meals you can make from the same main ingredients, so that I quit wasting so much food.

For example here are two that I do:

Main Ingredients: Chicken breast fillets, lemon, romaine lettuce.
    Meal 1: Chicken Picata made with thin sliced chicken filets. I usually serve this with a steamed broccoli drizzled with lemon and salad.
    Meal 2: Chicken Pitas - slice the leftover uncooked chicken filets into strips and marinate in olive oil, lemon and oregano. Saute them then serve wrapped in warm pita bread with feta cheese and chopped romaine lettuce.

Main Ingredients: Salmon fillet
    Meal 1: Baked or grilled salmon, wild rice, salad.
    Meal 2: Take the leftover salmon, chunk it, mix with cooked linguine, pesto, and toasted pine nuts.

Being low on creativity, this is about all I could come up with.
    If you do something like this, could you please share your ideas?

2. I have done this before, I am too tired to think of the combos right now. I'll post back later.

BUT- a lady on the Food Network- Quick Fix Meals show- has this concept for her menus. She has you make a larger quantity of a main dish and it funnels into two or three days of left over meals, that are each different. I've never tried her recipes, but worth checking out maybe.

3. LOL ohh me too....however, also check out some rachel ray cookbooks/recipes from the foodnetwork site. shes known for doing this too

4. Okay- here we go.

Main Ingred.: Baked ham
    Meal 1: ham w/ whatever you pair w/ it
    Meal options for leftovers- homemade ham and potato soup, quiche w/ ham, scalloped potatoes w/ ham

Main Ingred.: Roast chicken (not from the grocery)
    Meal 1: Sliced roast chicken, mashed potatoes, whatever you like
    Meal options for leftovers: rigatoni w/ chicken instead of hamburger or turkey, chicken salad sandwiches, hot chicken sandwiches, you can also shred the chicken and use in Mexican food and season appropriately, homemade chicken noodle soup, just get some stock, add in chopped chicken, frozen or fresh veggies and noodles to boil and heat through

Main Ingred.:Baked chicken breasts w/ crunchy coating- like you do w/ cereal or old school Shake and Bake! You'd have to make double for this idea, not just leftovers
    Meal 1: Baked chicken, whatever sides
    Meal 2: top extra baked chicken w/ marinara and mozzarella, warm until heated through, place on sandwich rolls w/ more marinara for hot chicken parm sandwiches

Main Ingred.: Ground turkey or beef seasoned w/ "Mexican" spices, like chili powder, cumin, onion, pepper, etc. Make a larger batch so it spread out
    Meal ideas- chili, tacos/burritos/enchiladas, spicy homemade sloppy joe sandwiches

I have tons more but my fingers are tired now!

5. elizat - those are great ideas!

Here's an idea I used this week. I had leftover mashed potatoes from one meal, and leftover ground beef from taco night. I combined the ground beef with carrots, peas, corn, made a roux with beef broth, wine, put it in a casserole dish and made a crust with the leftover mashed potatoes. Bake with a little grated parmesan on top to make a nice shepheards pie.

6. Mmmm, that sounds good; I love Shepherd's Pie.

7. I do this because I buy large packs of chicken and there is only two of us!

I cut up some chicken breasts and cook in the crock pot till its falling apart. Then I use a combo of the meals below until the chicken is used up :smile:

toss drained chicken in bbq sauce. Toast any kind of roll you like and melt cheese on it- add chicken :smile:

chicken quesadillas with cheese and salsa. mmmm.

chicken mixed with beans and rice.

sweet and sour chicken with rice.

cook some noodles, veggies, etc and mix with chicken for soup.

chicken with alfredo or pasta sauce with fettucini.

8. Pot Roasts (both beef and pork) in the crock pot are great for this.

Dinner #1 - Roast and veggies
    Other dinners- Shepherd's Pie; Shredded tacos, enchiladas, burritos; Add some BBQ sauce to the shredded meat to make BBQ sandwiches on crusty rolls;

Meatloaf can be chopped up and used in spaghetti sauce

Roasted Chicken can be shredded for tacos, burritos, chicken and rice casserole (rice, shredded chicken, broccoli, and some cheese), chicken soup, chicken lasagna with white sauce.

Leftover shrimp is great to make fried rice (especially great f you have leftover rice).

Salmon or other leftover fish make great salmon patties/fish cakes.

Mashed potatoes leftover are perfect for making potato pancakes.

9. Here's a multipurpose one that gets me through rushed mid-week dinners:

1 pound of turkey bacon--I bake mine on cookie sheets in the oven at 350-375 degrees for 17-20 minutes--depends on your oven

first night's meal--breakfast for dinner with scrambled eggs, toast, turkey bacon, hashbrowns, etc... (my husband loves this night)

next day or night--club sandwiches or even BLTs with more of the precooked turkey bacon

a third idea--really easy quiche, with a frozen pie crust, eggs, more left over turkey bacon, and some cheese of your choice

also, if you like protein in the morning--2 strips of turkey bacon with whole wheat toast or a scrambled egg substitute is very filling.