Show me your Plumes - An Ode!

Is your scarf Parures de Maharajah? I think the yellow was listed on the tag as "Fluorescent" but it never seemed that way to me and doesn't look overpowering in your outfit. Love the bag.
Hi eagle, thanks! a tpfer brought this back from the sales so it didn't have a tag. Yes, it is PdM and the green is similar to anise in the Early America silk? The olive and purple gems do pop against the background.

I love all your beautiful plumes so much. So much so that I would love to have one of my own......Could you help me reason and choose? I found 3 plumes I really, really like. A mini red chèvre, a 32 VN and a 32 red box. I like them almost equally. I have a BBK, and a Black buffalo and VN Cabana. Could you help me think and choose?

Love the pictures ! Thanks for posting! I am wondering what colour the red plume is....would it be rouge h? It looks much brighter than I thought rouge h would be... but someone mentioned that rouge h changed and it used to be a brighter shade of red. Did I misunderstand?
As if you needed more enabling, here are some more of my fave Plume pics to inspire you (posted in other places in this thread, pulled from my Plume files--yes I am that crazy Plume lady):

Love the pictures ! Thanks for posting! I am wondering what colour the red plume is....would it be rouge h? It looks much brighter than I thought rouge h would be... but someone mentioned that rouge h changed and it used to be a brighter shade of red. Did I misunderstand?

Thanks Wilmi! The red looks like rouge vif to me, I agree it's too bright to be rouge H :smile:

Reactions: wilmi
I love all your beautiful plumes so much. So much so that I would love to have one of my own......Could you help me reason and choose? I found 3 plumes I really, really like. A mini red chèvre, a 32 VN and a 32 red box. I like them almost equally. I have a BBK, and a Black buffalo and VN Cabana. Could you help me think and choose?

I would like them equally also from your descriptions. The leathers are great. Ultimately it's your choice depending on your tastes & comfort level. My Plume is an RH Box 28. I chose it because I like the size, the box leather is classic like the Plume, and I love RH. I do not choose to diversify my leathers, colors, or sizes. If I like it, I know it is correct choice

Reactions: dharma and wilmi
Thank you Keren for your insights. I ordered the Box in RH. I love box and I always wanted a RH. My first plume. I am so excited. I can't wait! I still feel like I want the chevre and VN but I guess I wait and see how much I like the plume.

Reactions: ForeverInPink
Thank you Keren for your insights. I ordered the Box in RH. I love box and I always wanted a RH. My first plume. I am so excited. I can't wait! I still feel like I want the chevre and VN but I guess I wait and see how much I like the plume.

Congrats! But I think you need all 3 [emoji51]. I would not have been able to choose between those options, they are all so equally tempting!!!

Reactions: wilmi
Thank you ForeverInPink, that is how I feel. I am pretty sure that I want all 3. Especially the CHEVRE, MINI, RED is delicious and of cause the VN is me or the person I hope I am, rather...... I love Box, can't wait to have that RH bag in my hands..... Justifying to need all 3 is where I am having trouble with.

Reactions: ForeverInPink
Thank you ForeverInPink, that is how I feel. I am pretty sure that I want all 3. Especially the CHEVRE, MINI, RED is delicious and of cause the VN is me or the person I hope I am, rather...... I love Box, can't wait to have that RH bag in my hands..... Justifying to need all 3 is where I am having trouble with.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I just read this.
I was at an Hermes Boutique yesterday to look & ultimately purchase a Shawl
Naturally, I wanted to view their displays. I saw Plumes among other bags. In the context of classics, the Plume is prominent to me due to it's understatement. It is important to understand style instead of fashion. That is the reason I chose & love my Plume
As for leathers, I have Chevre & VN also in other Hermes bags.
For me, Hermes is an education. An art also. Additionally, a lot to learn
I hope you received your Plume & would love to know your thoughts!

Last edited:
I have this thread to thank for my obsession with acquiring the perfect Plume . The last post by ForeverInPink ,and talking to a mutual TPF friend made me hope that my first Plume may be in Barenia or Vache Naturelle.
I bought this bag thinking it was Barenia as described by the consignment store, and hoping it would be Ebene.
It isn't Barenia and at first I was :sad: and considered returning it .
With Docide's help we decided the leather was Gulliver .My main attraction to Barenia was on account of the hardiness and all weather-ness as well as the visuals .
Researching Gulliver it seems that this leather has those qualities , it's drawback is that scratches don't form the famous patina . There are small scratches already and they aren't bothersome and in fact make me quite gung ho about using the ebag in a carefree way.
Yes , my pout has turned to a :biggrin::nuts::heart: and I'm in love with my beautiful Gulliver Plume from 1999
Can anyone ID the colour?
It's very dark brown with a hint of purple especially in artificial light . The colour seems changeable and is v hard to capture on camera .
IRL the colour is most like that on the photos 1 and 3 which were taken with the Mac Webcam The photo on the Metamorphoses scarf was taken using a good camera in daylight ,but shows too much reflection .
Havanne ? Ebene?
View attachment 3405158 View attachment 3405160 View attachment 3405159

I'm a bit late to this but I can confirm that the leather of your Plume is Gulliver and the colour is Havanne ( today's Havanne is very different). I bought from my local H store a Bolide in this exact colour/leather combo with the same pinkish stitching, back in 1996 or '97, I can't remember exactly. Very beautiful!

Duna Thank you for your insight, I have been using the Plume quite a bit and am intrigued by the changeability of the colour according to light and time of day .
I thought it looked more Havanne in sunny daylight but then towards evening it seemed to morph into Raisin !

Sorry for the delayed reply. I just read this.
I was at an Hermes Boutique yesterday to look & ultimately purchase a Shawl
Naturally, I wanted to view their displays. I saw Plumes among other bags. In the context of classics, the Plume is prominent to me due to it's understatement. It is important to understand style instead of fashion. That is the reason I chose & love my Plume
As for leathers, I have Chevre & VN also in other Hermes bags.
For me, Hermes is an education. An art also. Additionally, a lot to learn
I hope you received your Plume & would love to know your thoughts![/QUOTE

Thank you Keren, for your insights. I got my red box plume and I like it very much. The bag is so light, and the handles are so small, delicate, and elegant but still strong. The plume is in perfect shape for me and I really like the red. Only the zipper could run a little easier. On other threads pencil lead or soap was recommended. I have not tried that yet. If someone had a tip, I would appreciate it. TIA.

I went to the store the other day and there was on display a red exotic plume ( alligator, croc... I do not know the difference) and it was so lovely :heart::nuts:. A Birkin or Kelly in exotic is a rather serious bag, I feel. But the exotic plume just made me smile it was very beautiful. Thank you for your interest. Have a great day.

I hope you are liking your Plume. How is the zipper? I think it is so easy to wear ... graceful and versatile. When I see other women's bags that look similar and not Hermes, I feel the inspiration may have come from the Plume (just my impression).