Should Parents Of Obese Children Be Punished ?

1. Wouldn't it be less traumatic for the child, if their parent's were simply educated into making healthy decisions for their children, instead of them been taken out of their homes and away from their parents and placed in a foster care ?

I found this report by fox interesting. What do you think ?

watch this video: Heavy Punishment. - Video Launch Page -
  2. i think so, so many kids are overwieght these days because they are fed mcdonalds constantly because their parents are lazy. but being obese can also be hereditary...
  3. My computer won't let me view the video, but in this case, I think anything that avoids taking the child away from the parents is ideal.

I don't think parents honestly want to fatten their children up, I think some parents came from the old school belief that children need big, hearty meals every night and they need to clean their plate. They came from the belief that it's a good thing if the child has a big appetite.

Some parents have no idea what the correct portion size is. To them, a bagel is a bagel, and they don't pay attention to the fact that a bagel from one place is three times the size of a normal bagel.

And then there are the parents that go with whatever's cheap and easy without paying much attention to the fat / calorie content.

Both the parents and the children need to be taught about the correct portion sizes, the food pyramid and the concept of fat grams and calories.

(And I also think they need to learn about trans-fats. Not so much for their weight but for their hearts.)

(There's going to be a Dr. Phil about this exact thing on Wednesday.)
  4. There's an article in PEOPLE magazine about obese children. I honestly don't understand how any parent could let their child get that big. The one child in the article was 6 years old and 120 lbs:wtf: To me that's borderline child abuse.

I don't think parents should be punished, that won't really do any good, but there should be education. Maybe through the school, maybe through doctors, but honestly, you'd think common sense would tell you that your 5 year old shouldn't be drinking 10 cans of soda a day.

I feel bad for these children. Parents should be the ones telling them "No" to junk food. What child doesn't want to eat candy until they explode? But it's the kids that suffer from their parents' laziness. They're the ones that will get health problems and be teased in school.
  5. That is ridiculous. Somehow I think that otherwise happy children being taken away from their parents and forced to live with strangers is going to cause a whole lot more trauma than being overweight will.

Also, obesity is very much correlated by income level and living conditions. If you live in a poor, unsafe area where it's not safe to go outside and exercise and where the only food options are either McDonalds or the expensive, shriveled vegetables at the corner store, and you don't have a car to get out of your area and it's not served by public transport or you can't afford public transport, it's a lot easier to be obese than if you live in a safe area with access to healthy food. Plus, a lot of poor parents work really long hours to provide for their families and haven't the time or energy to cook healthy meals - even if they could afford the ingredients. So a policy like this would affect poor people almost exclusively.

The way to go about this is better nutrition and better availability of healthy foods to people at all income levels. Not taking children away from people who have to struggle the hardest in their lives anyhow - traumatizing both the children and the parents. JMHO.
  6. If parents allow children to become so overweight that it is a major health risk, then they should be held responsible as much as if they exposed the child to any other situation which is harmful to their health and well-being.
  7. I think there is nothing worse than children being taken from parents & it really would have to be a very last resort if the child was in danger of death. However, to put children at that risk then it is a form of abuse. I agree that parents should be educated way before any thought of removing the child from it's home.
  8. No way. You can use the same logic to say parents who are poor should give their kids to foster parents who are richer.:cursing::rant:

I know parents who are poor and had a child with medical needs they couldn't afford to treat so were deemed "negligent" and then the kid was put in foster care. The foster parents have been getting $2000/month from the goverment because he's a special-needs child. If the real parents got this monetary support instead, they would not have been "negligent".:sad:

Great system we live in.:cursing:
  9. Totally agree!
  10. i think having your children taken away is a bit much, but i do think interventions could be necessary (and helpful). everyone needs a little kick in the butt sometimes to realize where they're going wrong.
  11. No.

As a sibling of an "overweight" person this post kinda irks me. My sister is overweight if you go by the BMI index but all of her doctors state she is healthy and an active child. She exercises, goes out with her friends and eats a rounded diet (albeit she does on occassion eat at fast food restaurants -- just like ANY 11 yr old girl).

Did my parents neglect her? No. Did my parents make sure to educate themselves and the family on healthy eating choices? Yes. Did they make sure to limit TV watching and computer use to ensure she spent time outside? Yes. On any account, my parents did all the things they should including seeking medical help to rule out any health issues. In the end, my sister is a "big girl".

Will society judge her unfairly? Call her lazy? Call my family lazy? Probably yes to all of the above. It hurts even worse because we are ethnic -- people surely make ALOT of assumptions on the backstory of why my sister is overweight.

Obesity is an issue in our country but not all parents are at fault for having an obese child. I believe that when the government make it just as easy to get a pound of apples for .99 cents as they do for a bag of potato chips, then we may be moving in the right direction.
  12. but there's a difference between being overweight and being obese. i think when kids are OBESE, there's a serious problem that needs to be addressed. while being overweight isn't good, as long as they're still active, i think it's relatively okay.
  13. So very true but you also have to consider the social implications cause I know that most folks don't make that distinction between overweight and obese -- to most folks walking around a "fat kid" is a "fat kid".

As long as the parent can show that they are providing a healthy environment for their child and the state is providing the needed resources to support them, then I am ok with the notion. However, I feel strongly that the state needs to ensure they have given support.
  14. of course. until you see a child who is obviously obese.

you're talking to someone who was overweight as a kid, and is overweight now. trust me, i know how society looks at me- and i might as well weigh 500 pounds. :shrugs:
  15. ITA.
    And not ALL of it is cause by unhealthy eating. There are just some times when exercise and healthy eating will NOT lessen a person's weight...some of these cases may actually be a health problem as in some women, who have polycystic ovarian syndrome. Any person on the street would just see that person as being "fat" and "lazy" and would probably think that they just sit around all day and eat junk food when really, there's an underlying health problem there to consider.
    I'm completely against having the children taken away from the parents, UNLESS it can be proven that the parents are actually abusing the child and for example, force feeding them to eat junk. There will most definitely have to be standards set so children don't get taken away just because there happens to be a package of cookies or a bag of chips in the house. That would be completely over the edge, IMO.