Should I set up a paypal account?

1. So, I've been reading all the horror stories about eBay and paypal, but what did I go and do? Register for a eBay account, Why? I saw this lovely rose weekender, but I don't have a paypal account and quite frankly, I'm afraid to get one, I don't mind signing up for one, just afraid of the backlash that I've read about from some of you ladies, is this making any sense? :confused1:
  2. I actually do not understand what you mean by backlash? If the auction requires PayPal and you use PayPal to pay, the seller would get mad at you?!?

The problem is from the seller's position: buyers are trying to scam them. I don't see how buyers would have any difficult with PayPal, except that some sellers do not accept them from international bidders, because PayPal cannot confirm the billing address of non-US credit cards, and international bidders are also unable to link non-US bank accounts to PayPal.

Personally, I find it extremely annoying that some sellers who refuse PayPal even refuse bank wire transfers. If a buyer wishes to put money directly into a seller's bank account (and international transfer charges are not cheap), the risk is all on the buyer's side and not the seller's. I find it ridiculous that sellers would even doubt this.
  3. Roxane, I would never use a wire transfer, because the buyer is basically revealing financial information to the seller that can be used for fraud and identity theft!
  4. Some members have had issues with their PayPal accounts. I have had my PayPal account for several years and never had a problem with it. I never respond to emails from "PayPal". I *only* do my PayPal transactions directly on the PayPal website, where I have typed in the URL. I *NEVER* link from an email. When a website is secure, you should see a padlock in the bottom right corner somewhere. If you are careful, there's no reason not to have and use a PayPal account. It definitely offers more security than a money order or bank transfer.

I wish you well,

5. I've had a Paypal account for two years and I've never had any problems.
    There are many paypal horror stories but most of them are from sellers.
    And that rose weekender is gorgeous!!:love:
  6. Wire transfers are insane!! No protection whatsoever. There's a reason why eBay doesn't allow it, and it's NOT just to keep the paypal/ebay monopoly alive. There's a horror story I believe on the Chloe board of an ebay/wire transfer problem.

PayPal problems are very few and far between. Don't sweat it.
  7. I am not too crazy about paypal myself, due to fees and frauds but it's the only way I pay on ebay because it is safe. For buyers it is the safest route online..imo.
    As a seller, I prefere it also since it's instant and I like that... You just have to be careful with buyers and only ship to confirmed address. Sofar, paypal has been good to me.. knock on wood.

I thought google was supposed to have their own type of paypal. Does anybody know when that's supposed to start?
  8. From a buyers perspective paypal is heaven! They will protect you as a buyer and it's a safe way to buy!
    I have had mine for about 6 years with no problems to date.
  9. I have had my PayPal account for years. I always use a credit card beause I have heard stories of what a nightmare it is to deal with PayPal if there is a problem. That way at least you can contest the charges with your credit card company if there is a problem.
  10. I've also had paypal for years, and have never had a problem... I've also read about many horror stories as well. For now, I do not plan to close my account. I don't sell on ebay very often, but as a buyer, I feel that it's quite safe to use paypal.