Should I sell to a consignment store or on ebay?

1. I am thinking about selling a few of my LV's. I've never sold any before so I was wondering whether I should try to sell them to a consignment/high-end vintage store or on eBay? I've never bought or sold anything on eBay so there would be the problem of me not having any feedback and I'm also apprehensive about the whole system in general. On the other end, I'm worried that I won't get a good price if I sell them to a store. Any advise or feedback would be appreciated. BTW, the bags I'm thinking of selling are the Elipse Backpack in the monogram and the Mini Looping bag also in the monogram. They're both in fair condition.
  2. Contact eBay seller Fashionphile. I believe she sells bags for people. Check out what your percentage of the price would be from your local consignment shops and ask what they would price your bags at.
  3. Thanks for the tip! I will try that.
  4. I would go with Ebay. I sold some things to a consignment store here and they take a 50% cut!!
  5. Fashionphile sold a few of my bags and got great prices for them. Of course, she got a cut of that price! Plus you have to pay for all eBay and Paypal fees.

Depending on what bags you have to sell, you may do better selling them yourself.
  6. i think you'll most likely make more $$ by selling it yourself... even after paypal/ebay fees.
  7. Great thread! I have been wondering this myself. I don't doubt that you'll keep more of the selling price if you sell it yourself, but I'm wondering whether people will pay as much to buy from someone they don't know vs. someone who is listed as a My Poupette reseller, for example. Certain seller's listings seem to go for a premium. It would be interesting to know whether the extra money made on the sale would offset the commissions. Anybody know what commission Fashionphile charges? Are there others who accept consignments?
  8. What would you do if you want to sell a bag to fund another? Try to sell on ebay.. but really its not easy if you are new to the game and don't have a history of buyers to vouch for you. Send it to fashionphile who takes about 30% of the cut? bah! :sad: But really I'm so stuck, b/c the bag I want to purchase is the damier uzes. I have never noticed that it existed before! And it's no longer in production. It's gorgeous. Where would u suggest that I get a uzes now? Hmm.. Sorri if it's long. Needed to get it off my chest. *sigh*

Where art thou is my uzes... I'm so smitten.

p.s if I said this to any of my friends they probably think I'm crazy.:confused1:
  9. im currently selling a few wallets with a reputable consignment ebay seller. I prefer to do it this way because i dont have to put up with the dumb "is this real?" questions that are so abundent.

they charge 30% if they send me the cheque for cash, but 20% if i purchase from them so thats what i normally do. It saves me so much hassle.
  10. Do you have a good ebay feedback rating? Like 100+ transactions, 100% Positive? If so then first try to list it yourself. Take good pics and see what happens. Worse case is you lose a couple $ if no one bids.

I hadn't sold a LV before but I listed mine and put all the info in there and it sold no problems. I then listed a few more and all went well. In fact one of my bags a girl even had it authenticated here, LOL. It was funny to see my bag in the Authenticate thread, but I didnt mind at all.

Just read the ebay section here for tips so you dont get scammed, especially in shipping. Good Luck.
  11. That's what I am doing right now with one of my bags. I'm thinking about doing that with the rest of the bags I'm considering selling as well. I can't accept paypal payments, and I really don't want to bother with buyers. I know you lose money out of it, but I have no one to blame for that except myself.
  12. I sell all of my items on ebay (I have a perfect rating). If I receive any ????'s I make sure to answer them same-day or at least w/in 24 hours. I have not tried any consignment...wonder...does an item sell faster that way?
  13. fashionphile is very popular and I noticed recently that their bags get a TON of bids and sell at good prices (well, good for the seller). That might not be such a bad idea, since they are equipped to deal with all the craziness of EBay (which can get very nasty).
  14. I would list them on my own. I like to take pics and watch the bid increase. :tup:
  15. I wouldnt sell on ebay bc I am too scared of the bait and switch. I right now am seeing what offers I get from consignment stores, and which ever is the best, thats where I will sell =]