Shortest Job ?

Other than summer jobs when I was in high school and college, my shortest in my professional career was just under 5 months.

We were a sales/marketing and operations arm of a company that sold seafood products to food catering groups around the States. It was a small group of people but orders were booming and we kept trying to convince the owners we needed help because we couldn't keep up with all the orders.

A few months later, we got word that our Seattle office would be shutting down and rather than lay us off, if we wanted to keep our jobs we would have to work half-time and commute to the seafood processing plant which was a 2 hour drive each way! There was NO way I was going to do that, but I was also freaking out because I thought I wouldn't be able to claim unemployment benefits if my (soon to be former) employer had offered me a similar job. Fortunately I could, as the distance between the current location and proposed new one was far enough away and we weren't going to be compensated for commuting or gas mileage.

Sorry this is long, but this event really changed me. I never had been unemployed in my life and it was really hard on me. I found another job 4 months later but at the time it seemed like it would never end. I took it as a sign to change careers and switched to IT - and never looked back 12 years later! :wlae:

I never lost a job so I guess my shortest job was when I worked as a CAC (Customer Accomodations Clerk) at Montgomery Ward. I was in High School, it was 1976 and back then EVERYONE shopped at Wards! I worked in the gift wrap deparment over the Xmas holidays. It was crazy but back then they let us wrap our stuff for free. My stuff looked gorgeous even though the gifts themselves were small due to my 16 yo status and minimum wage paycheck :smile:

I worked at a Sam Goody music store for a day. The assistant manager hired me, but didn't tell the store manager. I started the day she came back from vacation. When she arrived for her shift, she looked at me and went, "Who the hell are you?". She treated me like **** for the rest of my shift. I never went back :yucky:

When I got out of graduate school I got a job as a psych assistant for a psychologist in LA who had a big practice. He essentially hired me over the phone. My first day, I was walking in and there was a homeless guy asking for money. A big guy walked past him and berated him "get a job, f off, loser" etc. So I unleased on the guy "why do you need to be mean, what value does that add to your life"..and so on. You guessed it, turns out the jackass who berated the homeless guy was the "boss".